Considering retiring in Argentina but have so many questions

Money wired to your account by, say, western union, will usually be just a bit below the blue rate. Much better than official.
I have found that post pandemia, its a lot harder to do many things without a DNI, even with a real bank account.
I have had a Banco Nacion basic account for over 10 years, and find it very useful. I have waited in line at pago facil- in fact, I still have to, to pay my expensas for my studio- and its not how I want to spend my day. I have had auto pay on my utilities, and, until the pandemia, was able to pay my expensas for my apartment online banking- and boy, did I prefer that to waiting a half hour on the sidewalk outside pago facil.
And, you need a bank account and DNI to actually use mercado libre- the not very close substitute for amazon and ebay here.
And post pandemia, its almost impossible to buy tickets for events in cash any more. Many sellers, even on facebook marketplace, want you to transfer money online to their account.
Having a bank account has had a lot of upsides for me- the only downside is having to deposit cash, although almost all banks have dedicated deposit atms, which seldom have any wait, because they dont give cash out.
I am getting my DNI in the mail hopefully next week, which will make using my bank account even easier and more convenient.

No it's not. I have lived in Buenos Aires for over 5 years. No Argie bank account or credit card. I have permanent residency. I have no problem paying my monthly bills at PagoFacil. The banks here suck.
I am an ARG citizen by birth/US naturalized citizen since 1968. I have been living in CABA since 2005. I pay everything in cash.

How did you pay your monthly bills during the Covid lockdown of 2020 when PagoFacil and RapiPago were closed for 160+days?

During that period I was able to pay my bills by depositing pesos via the online banking feature of my Cuenta Universal Gratuita. I opened said account with Banco Supervielle in 2010. When in ARG having a "plan B" is a must!

I have an HSBC Premier account in Taiwan and was hoping to transfer it to LATAM when I relocate but now that plan looks doubtful. Much thanks for the helpful info.
Argentina does not allow foreign ownership of companies- so the HSBC here is something like 51% argentine owned, as is the Starbucks- so there is no instant bank account connection, and transfers of cash are complicated. If you have legal residency, its easier. Otherwise, you are wiring money to yourself from yourself, then depositing cash in a bank account- clunky, to say the least.

HSBC made a big cleanout of expat accounts a few years ago (it would have been in 2014 or 2015), earlyretirement was lucky he was notified, since their SOP was to close the account without notice, sequester the money, and fail to respond to enquiries. Best stay well away from them.

I am an ARG citizen by birth/US naturalized citizen since 1968. I have been living in CABA since 2005. I pay everything in cash.

How did you pay your monthly bills during the Covid lockdown of 2020 when PagoFacil and RapiPago were closed for 160+days?

During that period I was able to pay my bills by depositing pesos via the online banking feature of my Cuenta Universal Gratuita. I opened said account with Banco Supervielle in 2010. When in ARG having a "plan B" is a must!
I am a US citizen by birth and Argentine naturalized citizen since 2013. I have been living in CABA since 1999. I pay almost everything by debit card since opening an account with Banco Ciudad. Banco Ciudad offers their business clients 5.000ARS for referring seniors who open a savings account.

I receive bills by email (Edesur, MetroGas, Movistar, ABL) and pay them immediately online at each of their sites for direct payment that takes two minutes to process. I prefer this method to carrying cash to Pago Facil or Rapipago.

When I signed up for social security at the US Embassy, I received the attached forms offering an account for receiving my benefit in dollars with Banco Macro. They even filled in my name and social security number on the form. I know a Argentine woman who lived in the US many years and receives her social security benefits to a Banco Macro account. I do not feel confident enough about banking in Argentina to open such an account. I have dollars in a credit union account for 38 years. I have a Banco Ciudad account for receiving transfers by Western Union.

Attachments

• Direct Deposit signup Macro.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Info sheet direct deposit Banco Macro.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
And, you need a bank account and DNI to actually use mercado libre- the not very close substitute for amazon and ebay here.

Actually you can use MercadoLibre with your USA Credit card. I've bought a ton of stuff on that website including bigger items like stoves/ovens and just used my USA credit card. I just used a fake DNI (I never really like using my real DNI #) and didn't have any issues. FYI. This was just a few weeks ago.

HSBC made a big cleanout of expat accounts a few years ago (it would have been in 2014 or 2015), earlyretirement was lucky he was notified, since their SOP was to close the account without notice, sequester the money, and fail to respond to enquiries. Best stay well away from them.

Yes, actually they didn't notify me if I remember correctly, I just went to pay a bill one day and I couldn't log in. I called to my HSBC branch in Recoleta and reluctantly they told me that my account was closed but that I had to come into a branch personally to discuss it. This was before COVID and then I didn't go down for several years until a few weeks ago.

So I go in and tell her I would like to withdraw all the funds. I had over $10,000 US dollars in my US dollar account. And the first thing the girl said was "can you prove you have cash in your account" Fortunately I had a print out of an old statement that showed the balance in it.

I was locked out of my account and online statements only showed for 2 years so if I didn't have a copy of that downloaded statement I'm not sure what I would have done. But I was really glad to get my cash as it had been several years that passed since they closed it.

I receive bills by email (Edesur, MetroGas, Movistar, ABL) and pay them immediately online at each of their sites for direct payment that takes two minutes to process. I prefer this method to carrying cash to Pago Facil or Rapipago.
Each to his own!

I should have ended my post by stating that when the Covid lockdown was lifted I reverted to paying my monthly bills in cash at PagoFacil. Paper bills are no longer being mailed by Telecom/Personal and Movistar Hogar (for my landline). Nevertheless I can still pay them in cash at PagoFacil. But I still receive, by choice, paper bills for ABL, Edesur, Metrogas and AySa.

During my annual stays in the US, I can access copies of of all the bills via their individual websites. I pay them online via the Cuenta Universal Gratuita (local VISA debit card included) at Banco Superville. I only did WU transfers during the Covid lockdown. The only place to pick up the cash in pesos was at Correo Argentino.

I have been traveling back and forth to ARG since 1989. Here cash in hand continues to carry more bartering power than other forms of payment. My normal routine is to return from abroad with USD $100 bills and exchange them as needed at a cueva.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if any of these utilities let you pay your utilities via Visa (credit card) at all? Most of my properties in other countries I can pay them with my credit card. I was wondering if this is possible with any utility bills in Argentina?

My situation is this: Argentine-born but living abroad since a teenager. Never worked or paid taxes in Argentina.

In case you are concerned, the fact that you have never paid any taxes in Argentina will not be an issue.

Now, I am approaching retirement age and anticipating a small retirement income, in dollars. I am considering a slow life in the provinces but have many questions by the prospects of moving here, baffled by the red tape and illogical regulations. (Note that I have been doing a lot of research lately and feel encouraged by the many new immigrants who are choosing the country at this time.)

I first visited Argentina (at the age of 55) for six months (after living in Sayulita, Mexico for five and a half years) in 2006 to see if I wanted to live (but not work) here full time.

Just under six months later I bought an apartment, transferring US dollars from my US bank to a "casa de cambio" in the Metrocenter where we had the escritura. I did not have a bank account in Argentina at the time.

1) Money: how do you bring a few dollars into the country? Obviously, the country does not bank in dollars. So…? No dollar bank account? A small account in pesos?

I have a savings account in dollars and pesos with Santander Rio, but I never have never had any dollars in the account.

How do you even purchase a little plot of land?

Transfer the funds from the US to Argentina and have an escritura (closing) using an escribano (aka notary).

2) Belonging in the system: I have researched work and minimum salaries and they do not seem possible to me.

I have lived in Argentina for almost seventeen years and never worked for anyone or received any money from anyone in the world for any work, so I don't pay income taxes in Argentina or any other country.

I don't pay income taxes on my retirement income, but that's only because it is too low to be taxable in Argentina or the USA., so I haven't had any experience or problems on that part..

I am only enrolled in the tax system (AFIP) as a payer of the Bienes Personales (personal asset tax) and I haven't had to pay that tax since 2009 (when I paid for 2006-2008).

So, if I am retired, what would be the benefit of becoming part of the bank system at that stage? Is it possible to remain outside of it?

You can remain outside the banking system in an effort to evade paying taxes which by law you may be required to pay, but (IMO) that's a not a "good" reason .

The advantage to using the banking system is that you will rarely have to actually go to a bank or use much cash and it will make paying for almost everything incredibly simple.

You will be able to use Western Union to send your retirement funds (and or savings) to yourself and either have the funds deposited directly to your bank account here or pick up the funds in person at a Western Union agency..

Is it better to rent or to buy property? (Again, a little plot of land in the country.)

In Argentina I rented for the first six months. Then I bought property...,in October of 2006..

I bought a home in the province, on "a little plot of land in the country" (a little over 10.000 mtr2) in 2010 and have lived here since then,

I’ve heard that taxes are ridiculous.

In my opinion the taxes here are indeed ridiculous...ridiculously low.

My property taxes are less than $100 USD per year.

Currently, I do not belong to this jurisdiction. I guess that by moving here, I would? (Double-nationality?)

If you were born here, Argentina considers you a citizen, so you already have dual nationality.

3) Would it be better to rent?

It depends on how long you want to live in any one place and how much money you want to piss away (IMO) paying rent while you are there.

If you don't stay in one place long enough, you will piss away even monre money if you buy a property and can't recoup the closing costs when you sell.

How do people use their monthly retirement money?

This is a "Fiscal" question (pun intended) if I've ever heard one!

Transfer into pesos? Keep elsewhere?

My monthly retirement money is "converted" into pesos before it is sent to my Argentine bank and the exchange rate offered by Western Union is far greater than the official rate that I would receive if I had my retirement checks "sent" directly to my Argentine bank account in pesos.

I actually have a dollar account at the bank, but I don't use it and I never have more than $200.000 pesos in my account...and only for about ten minutes at a time. I immediately pay the full balance of my credit card as soon as the funds are credited to my savings account..

There is also the chance that a couple of years from now I would rather pick up and go away. How easy would this transition be? I know people stuck unable to sell their properties. How much more expensive is renting?

There is also a chance that a "couple years from now" that you will not be able to pick up and go away...if Klaus Schwabvand his buddies get their way.

4) I’ve been looking online and everything is either listed in dollars or in crypto (DAI, USDT, etc.). I am baffled as to how people can come up with the huge sums of dollars when the country does not allow people to keep dollars? Can someone explain?

I think it's "safe" to say that Argentines with huge sums in dollars do not keep them in Argentina.

How do you buy a vehicle or a little plot of land? Or a house? (I’ve already given up hope of moving my little Honda or my campervan to Argentina as it seems ridiculously expensive.)
To buy land, you transfer your dollars to Argentina just before the closing. and you use an "escribano" who will see that the title is clear and everything is legit about the sale.

As a returning citizen you will have the right to bring personal stuff into the country but only one car and possibly with a maximum value (set by the aduana) of $15.000 dollars.

5) I have family in Argentina and the hope that it is still safe enough to live here and that it would give me a better life than growing old in the US, where I am right now. Is this realistic? Are there better options? (Chile? Uruguay?)
No matter what else you do, IMO the best advice I can give you is to get here ASAP and get your DNI and your Argentine passport, even if your retirement is several years from now.

That will increase your options, not just to return to Argentina whenever you want, but also to the other countries you mentioned.

I know an Argentine woman who left Argentina when she was 16 (in 1966). She returned in 2012 to get her DNI and passport and returned to the USA.

She was too wealthy to live in Argentina, but the Argentine passport was more usefull to live in Paraguay (where her level of wealth was far more significant (giving her a higher social status) than in Argentina), if she ever decided to leave the USA for good.

Last edited:
Back