Converting your Home driving license to Argentine driving license

Gilani

Registered
Guys,

Their have been many threads on this and most seem outdated.

Does one still have to give a written exam in Spanish to get the Argentine driving license?

I am in anticipation of my DNI in near future BUT I will like to get the license asap as I will like to leave Argentina as soon as I have my DNI.

Anyone kind enough to give me a step by step procedure especially about the "written" exam in Spanish!

Sorry I can´t help...hope it´s like the US exam I took in Utah where you get to bring the book in with you (that I had spent all night learning since in Ireland you have to know the theory from memory)..good question and one which my husband needs to know since hes been sing his European license here for 3 + years with no issue but it´s only a matter of time...

fifs2 said:
Sorry I can´t help...hope it´s like the US exam I took in Utah where you get to bring the book in with you (that I had spent all night learning since in Ireland you have to know the theory from memory)..good question and one which my husband needs to know since hes been sing his European license here for 3 + years with no issue but it´s only a matter of time...
They must have thought that you were "in the club".

There is an amazing double standard in Utah depending on which side of the LDS fence you sit.

Captain Cheetah said:
Guys,

Their have been many threads on this and most seem outdated.

Does one still have to give a written exam in Spanish to get the Argentine driving license?

I am in anticipation of my DNI in near future BUT I will like to get the license asap as I will like to leave Argentina as soon as I have my DNI.

Anyone kind enough to give me a step by step procedure especially about the "written" exam in Spanish!

The good news: If you have a valid foreign license you won't have to take the written exam. You won't have to take a driving test, either.

The bad news: You'll have to have the DNI before you can get the license.

Someone recently posted there is a DL center downtown. Hopefully, there is and you won't have to go to the one on Roca.

And don't forget the charla if your address is in the Ciudad Buenos Aires! (It only takes about 90 minutes and it doesn't matter if you understand a single word.)

Here is the website: http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/guiaba/guia/index.php?info=detalle&menu=1&id=339

Napoleon said:

There is an amazing double standard in Utah depending on which side of the LDS fence you sit.

There is, but it doesn't apply to getting a driver's license.

(I lived in Utah for about 15 years. In spite of being a Gentile, my Mormon bank president gave me many auto and business loans. He never asked if I was "in the club" or even if I wanted to join.)

Napoleon said:

Maybe it was because I was 7 months pregnant at the time and they thought I was birthing a new church member! It´s true I didnt bring my usual Starbucks machiatto to the test..got lucky I guess and having lived there I can fully attest to the side of the fence prejudices that exist:)

steveinbsas said:
There is, but it doesn't apply to getting a driver's license.

(I lived in Utah for about 15 years. M|In spite of being a Gentile, my Mormon bank president gave me many auto and business loans. He never asked if I was "in the club" or even if I wanted to join.)

Steve, how many lifetimes have you had with 15 years in Utah?! I met many lovely people in Utah, many jack mormons disguising their true feelings about the LDS church in order for their kids to keep going to local schools and fit in...It´s an interesting culture for sure in places like Provo, Heber etc...sometimes more extreme than other places like Yemen where I have lived...in different ways of course and for sure the cardamon coffee in yemen helps make the day more manageable....!

I moved to Park City in 1975 after buying a small lot on Main Street in 1973.

The building I built on that property can be seen (next to the Egyptian Theatre) in the attached photo.

My store was at the street level and I lived upstairs.

Attachments

• park city 1a.jpg
    park city 1a.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 22
steveinbsas said:
The good news: If you have a valid foreign license you won't have to take the written exam. You won't have to take a driving test, either.

The bad news: You'll have to have the DNI before you can get the license.

Someone recently posted there is a DL center downtown. Hopefully, there is and you won't have to go to the one on Roca.

And don't forget the charla if your address is in the Ciudad Buenos Aires! (It only takes about 90 minutes and it doesn't matter if you understand a single word.)

Here is the website: http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/guiaba/guia/index.php?info=detalle&menu=1&id=339

Sorry for sounding ignorant. What is "charla"? Yes , my address is in indeed in city of BA.

Captain Cheetah said:
Sorry for sounding ignorant. What is "charla"? Yes , my address is in indeed in city of BA.

Charla means chat. You (along with everyone else who is renewing their license) must go to the comuna which has "jurisdiction" for your domicile and there is a one hour group meeting about driving (most weekdays at 7 PM). They give you a paper when you enter and you will write your name and DNI number on it.

After the charla (you shouldn't have to say anything...there were over 100 people at the charla I attended), the "leader" will sign all of the papers and call each person to give them theirs. This paper must be presented when applying for your license. I didn't understand everything that was said, but it was clear there was a strong emphasis on drunk driving and the high number of fatal accidents in Argentina. Basically, the prupose of the charla is to raise consciousness of those who are renewing their licenses but are not being retested.

As soon as you have your DNI go to the comuna and ask for an appointment for the charla as well as a turno to get your license.

By the way, I had no idea there was a charla (or even what it was) until I went to the comuna in Belgrano to ask about renewing my foreign license. They gave me the turno for the charla as well as the turno to get my Argentina license. It was all a complete waste of time as my foreign license was "rejected" at Roca.

A couple months later I applied for my Argentina DL after moving to Punta Alta. The accepted my expired but renewed by mail Illinois license (with an "unsigned" sticker on the back). I got the new DL without taking a written or driving exam or attending a charla.

I also had to provide the results of a blood test as my blood type had not been specified on my US license. They may do the blood test at Roca, but I'm not certain. I never got past the first (review documents) desk.

This thread (which I wouldn't consider "outdated") has more information about getting the license as well as the charla:

Driver's Licence......???

I found it using the search engine (key words: "charla" and "driver's license").

Back