Converting your Home driving license to Argentine driving license

Captain Cheetah said:
Steve,

Why was your foreign license rejected at Charla?

It was rejected at the DL center on Roca (the charla takes place at the comuna) because it had expired and the "renew by mail" sticker I received (by mail) and applied to the back of the license did not included a signature (by the Secretary of State). It was a chicken shit excuse, but it wasn't an attempt to get a bribe. The woman at the first desk (reviewing my papers) took my license to a supervisor at another desk who gave the thumbs down. I had no problem in Punta Alta after I pointed out the sticker (at first glance they thought the license had expired as well).

steveinbsas said:
I moved to Park City in 1975 after buying a small lot on Main Street in 1973.

The building I built on that property can be seen (next to the Egyptian Theatre) in the attached photo.

My store was at the street level and I lived upstairs.

What a great location Steve and one I must have passed by many times as I also lived in Park City to escape the rigors of Provo where I worked. The canyon commute every day to work was a spectacular way to start and end the day. Thanks for sharing the picture and the history.:)

Hey Steve -- do you know if you HAVE to surrender your foreign license when you get your Argentine one, or would I be able to hang onto it (I'm trying to avoid having to retake the written and practical exam if we head back to Canada, and I still have a couple of years on the license's validity so I figure might as well hang onto it as long as possible)

syngirl said:
Hey Steve -- do you know if you HAVE to surrender your foreign license when you get your Argentine one, or would I be able to hang onto it (I'm trying to avoid having to retake the written and practical exam if we head back to Canada, and I still have a couple of years on the license's validity so I figure might as well hang onto it as long as possible)

You keep your foreign license.:)

Is it forbidden here to drive with your US or Canadian DL ?

At least it's allowed for a French one (and likely any EU one) :
- I got controlled about 6 times, never had a problem
- No problem with contracting an insurance
- No problem with renting a car

Furthermore the Argentinean DL needs to be renewed every few years depending on your age/condition + there's a point system with the Argentinean DL (at least in CABA).

French jurist said:
Is it forbidden here to drive with your US or Canadian DL ?

At least it's allowed for a French one (and likely any EU one) :
- I got controlled about 6 times, never had a problem
- No problem with contracting an insurance
- No problem with renting a car

Furthermore the Argentinean DL needs to be renewed every few years depending on your age/condition + there's a point system with the Argentinean DL (at least in CABA).

I'd be careful here. Yes, you can drive on a foreign license and you may never have a problem, even if stopped by the police, BUT I did ask about this at the DL station in Punta Alta. I was told that a foreigner could only drive legally as long as their "tourist visa" was valid. (Perhaps the only reason left to go to Colonia?) I was told that anyone with temporary residency had 90 days to get an Argentine license.

I was able to get insurance for the car I'm driving before I actually got my Argentine driver's license. There were no questions about my license or even my driving history! I think someone once posted that an insurance company refused to pay a claim because the driver at fault did not have a valid Argentine license. I don't remember if any information was provided regarding the driver's immigration status.

I'd also be surprised if it's possible to rent a car with an expired tourist visa.

Thanks Steve, that's indeed an important subject and I should worry a bit more about it.

Cheers

I called control urbano in La Plata where I live and was told I need an apostiled, translated, certified legalisation of my driving record from my home country.

Luckily, my DNI has an address in Capital, and it seems like they don't care about such formalities?

Has anyone recently converted their foreign license in Capital? Did you need anything other than your DNI, your foreign license, proof you sat through the charla and copies of the first two pages of your DNI and foreign license?

Husband still using foreign license (8 years +) and ignoring Steves valuable advice..Im sire the I told you moment will come anyday soon...

Back