Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
My wife says that the Ministry of Health has begun preparing public health measures such as checking people arriving at airports.
They are projecting the coronavirus to hit Argentina in March.

How the Corona virus may may impact on Argentina.. The reduction of Exports to China and the Fall of commodity prices, Meat and Soya Beans.As well as the Foreign Debt Negotiation.

Google translateÑ

"A fall in the price of commodities would not only expose Argentina to a new currency turbulence but would have an impact on fiscal revenues since the collection expected by the increase in retentions that has ruled since last December would be less than expected. To that combo, in addition, it would be necessary to add the loss of competitiveness of the Argentina agro exports, which would slow down one of the few engines available today to make the economy grow."

Here's a little fact-based preparedness reading for the masses. Argentina seems like it would be just fine. Not the best but certainly not the worst place to be during an outbreak of this sort. My hospital (Aleman) also has a protocol and has advice on their main website about how best to avoid this and other infections. So, awareness is here and I'm sure steps would be taken as they were during Ebola, SARS, and MERS outbreaks that were on the horizon across the globe. https://www.ghsindex.org/country/argentina/

In my opinion, this is by far the best post in this thread (including all of mine).

Since I first read this I've learned that it is possible to spread the disease well before he onset of physical symptoms.

That means that, even if there wasn't a plane full of folks sneezing and coughing during Jeff's 16 hours flight from Asia to BA, it's quite possible none of them were infected with the Coronavirus, while others with no symptoms were spreading the virus.

He didn't say he actually flew from China to BA, so who knows at this point how great the change anyone on board has been exposed. Perhaps none whatsoever, but that was just one flight...

If and when the virus is detected in Argentina, whet will happen next will depend on how bad it's impact has already been felt in other parts of the world. If the mortality rate is high where the virus has spread, well see a rush to the stores to buy as much as possible to try to weather the storm.

At some point (perhaps in less than a week) the stores will probably be looted and people carrying groceries will be attacked in the streets, including the looters

If anyone wants to call this "prediction" fear mongering or stupid, please feel free to do so.

I think it would extremely unwise not to prepare for the worst by stocking up on at least a months worth off supplies ASAP.

If nothing bad happens, at least you won't have to buy any of those items for a month.

If it does, those who didn't prepare will be the ones calling themselves stupid.

I am at this point halfway to prepped some of those big bags of rice etc... Arming with compound bows and other items which I am well trained to use if I need too. Planning to get more isolated here in URU which will be easy as the tourists are clearing out now. Starting to stock up on cash USD and Pesos is what remains. Like they say hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Interesting that I can clearly remember because of my training years ago about functioning in bio hazards. Standing on the balcony of my hotel in Argentina pondering the mate ritual and thinking an epidemic would wiped these people out.

Hope for the best prepare for the worst if you can. Do not fool yourselves these 3rd world countries cannot handle this if the door bell rings and that is all it will take. Worst case scenario you have some extra things around for the next few years and if this blows over you can bless your struggling neighbors with it.

My wife says that the Ministry of Health has begun preparing public health measures such as checking people arriving at airports.

By what measures? Are they taking everyone's temperature? And if and when they do detect/diagnose someone who has the virus who arrived at EZE, and, given the fact that diagnosis will take some time, what are they going to do about all the other passengers who were on the same flight?

They are projecting the coronavirus to hit Argentina in March.

And if an when it spreads and a significant number of people flood the health care system (both public and private), what will those with other ailments do?

In the past four months I had my annual blood tests (and all the others which are advisable for a man my age) and surgery on one of my toes.

I shudder now when I think about the time I spent sitting in the waiting areas of the hospital and the close proximity to the well washed masses and the thought that if the Corona virus was here how high the level of exposure would have been.

Once it arrives, and if it spread to this area, I probably won't be going to the hospital for any reason, except the most dire of circumstances.

I am at this point halfway to prepped some of those big bags of rice etc...

Be sure to freeze rice and beans for at least three days (I suggest five to seven) to kill insect eggs which are often present and transfer the rice and beans (at the least) to tightly sealed plastic containers which did not previously contain anything that would contaminate the food.

The best way to store these commodities would be in vacuum sealed Mylar bags which are then placed in five gallon buckets (like the ones used for paint). I have not been able to find any vendors near me from whom to purchase them new.

PS: There are many great YouTube videos on prepping and food storage.

One thing those of that have been here for a while I think all know. Argentinians love to travel and Asia is on their list and there are I would guess many of them there now and this is no longer a China only issue. I have a friend in Thailand now wrapping up a 6 month vacation there. He and all his friends are mate fanatics. All it would take is for him or any other Argentinian to leave there two days into infection and go back to Argentina and spend 10 days drinking mate with his friends. Then his friends drinking mate with other friends and family. I think we can see where that would go and imagine trying to track down all those mate sharing events and people. Forget it, it is already to late.

And have you ever notice that many not all Argentinians have a habit of not covering their faces when they sneeze? I have seem them sick in the market sneezing all over the produce not even aware of what they are doing. This is not a place where the population is well educated in personal hygiene etc.

Time will tell.

With 8,000-Plus Deaths in U.S. Alone, Flu Far More Deadly Than Coronavirus

Overall, the World Health Organization estimates that the flu kills up to 650,000 people per year worldwide.

"When we think about the relative danger of this new coronavirus and influenza, there’s just no comparison," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and health policy at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, told USA Today. "Coronavirus will be a blip on the horizon in comparison. The risk is trivial."

Back