Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
I am always confused as to what people mean by "prepping".
In the USA, it usally means a pallet of small arms ammunition, an aresenal of semi-automatic weapons, camoflage clothing, and a years supply of horrible freeze dried food.

I am returning to my farm in Washington State tonight.

Our normal, non-"prepped" state there means several five gallon bottles of water, 2 freezers full of frozen food, including some fish and meat, our own berries and fruits, sauces, pestos, and vegetables. It means a pretty decent pantry of food- a couple weeks worth, usually. It means a couple of good quality first aid kits, along with enough tools and materials to fix pretty much anything, including the capacity to sharpen knives, forge tools, repair small engines, and build pretty much anything of wood, metal, cloth, or plastics. Welding equipment, matches, axes, shovels, carts and backpacks. It means enough firewood for a month, tanks of propane, extra diesel fuel and gasoline. It means a 4wd tractor, a canoe, and bicycles. And, of course, Costco quantities of toilet paper.

None of this is abnormal "prepping"- its how we live normally, on a farm 15 or 20 miles from town.
So, I consider myself completely prepared and informed.

And I am still not ready to threaten others for large quantities of purell.

In the USA, it usally means a pallet of small arms ammunition, an aresenal of semi-automatic weapons, camoflage clothing, and a years supply of horrible freeze dried food.

Our normal, non-"prepped" state there means several five gallon bottles of water, 2 freezers full of frozen food, including some fish and meat, our own berries and fruits, sauces, pestos, and vegetables. It means a pretty decent pantry of food- a couple weeks worth, usually. It means a couple of good quality first aid kits, along with enough tools and materials to fix pretty much anything, including the capacity to sharpen knives, forge tools, repair small engines, and build pretty much anything of wood, metal, cloth, or plastics. Welding equipment, matches, axes, shovels, carts and backpacks. It means enough firewood for a month, tanks of propane, extra diesel fuel and gasoline. It means a 4wd tractor, a canoe, and bicycles. And, of course, Costco quantities of toilet paper.

None of this is abnormal "prepping"- its how we live normally, on a farm 15 or 20 miles from town.

Delete

Last edited:
9 deaths is a pretty small "national epicenter". And, if you look at the state by state number of confirmed cases, there are actually more confirmed cases in California than in Washington, and the national total is still well under 200.
As I said, I am going to Washington tonight, will be there tomorrow.

That would be more like bugging out and doomsday prepping. Just regular prepping would involve having supplies to bug-in for a couple of weeks to 2 months. A doomsday prepper would be able to bug in for two years and/or bug out entirely.

You say your life will go on as if there is nothing to be concerned about, but then describe a life and living style that is very unordinary for most people, especially those in cities. In other words, you already have the set up of a prepper even if you are not actively prepping. You have the ability to go on lockdown (bug in) and self sustain for weeks to months. I live in Buenos Aires and don't have axes, carts, a 4wd tractor, canoe, extra diesel fuel, materials to build "pretty much anything", my own berries and fruits, and a freezer stocked with meat and fish. I guess I am not alone in lacking those items in a major city so I hope you would not begrudge me abnormally ensuring I have some of those things when a virus has the potential to cease day-to-day life (we can argue about whether this would be because of the virus itself or mismanagement by governments).

A welcome dose of sanity.

"Coronavirus - the real numbers that will make you feel safe"

How can anyone feel really safe when currently four major countries are locked down . South Korea . italy , Iran and China .

In the North of Italy in many towns peoples lives are on hold they cannot go out they cannot work and many are running out of money . How long can this last ?

Wuhan China is now 6 weeks completely locked down and people have been locked into their buidlings and apartments . Many people are now without food and without basic medicines . I do not think they feel safe at all .

I am nearly 60 years old and have never seen anything in my life remotely like this and it is just beginning and will get worse . To me it is like a silent war that invades countries and societies . Chinas economy will not recover from this for many many years and certainly its effects on the populace by now in many provinces is akin to war footing but even worse as even in war people have the freedom to move around .

I do not know how Argentina will fare with this but I lived through the last pandemic of 2009 and there was a lot of panic here. I was hoping that this virus would give us a respite for a few months but it has arrived here and with winter just around the corner its not a the best time to be here . They say that the virus does not survive very hot weather well meaning that the colder climates will have more cases .

Do you know if this is true of course but maybe going tropical in the amazon forest or the North of Argentina is better (/be careful of Dengue )

I can identified with Ries growing up in part in upstate NY the freezer was always full of meat and fish. Not the kind you buy in the store either the kind you get with guns, bows and poles. Always canned stuff from the garden too.

I am however very glad at this point I am prepped my wife in her poverty thinking was firmly against it. And always saying this will not come here. Well it is here.

Was an incredible experience when I was in Farmacia last week buying all kinds of antibiotics and more even a nebulizer and breathing meds. Girls ask me are you or is someone sick? I said no the virus is coming and I am getting ready. They just got this so shocked look on their faces with jaws on the floor.

Weeks ago the wife all bug eyed as we are overloading on groceries, clean supplies, disinfectants and more while she is just fuming that is not coming here. Well it is here.

I did not stop there my parents sold there place and moved in with my brother some time ago. I had enough to last them a year dropped on them in the last months from Amazon. We just put them in quarantine in the lower part of his house. Nice part is they can walk out the door for a walk in the park etc from there.

If I find myself standing in the middle of a night mare with my wife and me well as a result of being prepared it will not be fun but I can look at it and say I did what I thought was best. Yet I really do hope that everyone is laughing their asses off at me at an asado next year and calling me a fool for prepping nothing would give me more pleasure than all of this prepping coming to nothing.

As this unfolds I wish all of us the best believe me.

Back