Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
He thinks he's coming at it from a logical point of view, suggesting those people are going to die anyway so let's kill them now. Imagine being the guy pulling the trigger on such a mass-infection program, 3.4% of the population dying, only for someone to find a cure/vaccine the next week. Yeah, no-one wants to be that guy.

Edit to add, this shouldn't even be news. This is part of the problem. We spend so much time twisting ourselves over being outraged that there's no focus on important issues. Who cares what Santelli says? He shouldn't lose his job or be "cancelled", he should just be ignored. I disagree wholesale with what he says but I also disagree with the fools on Twitter getting outraged by it.

Edit to add, this shouldn't even be news. This is part of the problem. We spend so much time twisting ourselves over being outraged that there's no focus on important issues. Who cares what Santelli says? He shouldn't lose his job or be "cancelled", he should just be ignored. I disagree wholesale with what he says but I also disagree with the fools on Twitter getting outraged by it.

I agree they should just be ignored. Problem is Trump is influenced by these people.

His rants sparked the Tea Party movement too. The people who believed that death panels would be killing off Grandma and Grandpa if universal healthcare was enacted.

Last edited:
Problem is Trump is influenced by these people.
In terms of Santelli, you're probably right. However, I am willing to predict we won't see Trump initiate a nationwide infection program based on what Santelli said. Other than that, my point was more general.

Count me as absolutely dumbstruck that anyone would be ready to ignore and leave unpunished someone with a megaphone and the reach of television that Santellli has to influence the witless. Imagine the reaction to his thoughts if it came from China which has been pummeled over their sometimes brutal approach to controlling the virus.
But, not my purpose today to get caught up in American stupidities.

After a an afternoon traveling from Recoleta to and from San Telmo by bus it's apparent that life goes on here, carefree, like any normal day. And passing through Patio Bullrich, the rich at lunch and shopping. Will the wheel ever come off here, who knows, so I want to share this perspective from an American in Singapore living in a large city in the time of Corona virus and how daily life has evolved. Encouraging in it's own way:
American living in Singapore: I thought I could share a few perspectives of how we have been dealing being a top 5 Covid19 country for the past month. Singapore is a small city state that on a per capita basis has been at the top of the list of countries dealing with Covid19. In early February, I think the fear around Covid19 was really sinking in. Flights from China were cancelled, grocery stores were emptied by people stocking up for the apocalypse, shopping malls were empty, restaurants were empty and companies were implementing travel bans and splitting up working teams. By the end of February, the Covid19 outbreak continues – we still get new cases every day. But the fear has subsided. I think everyone is still afraid of it, but it is perceived a bit more as a flu plus plus. It has become one of those risks in life we just have to live with. Grocery stores are back to normal, shopping malls are full, restaurants are full again. Another anecdote – on the MRT (our Subway), at the start of Feb, it was typical to see the train cars only half full and more than 50% of those people were wearing face mask. Now, even though we get new cases every day, I look around and in a full train car of 100s of people, I only see 2 or 3 masks.
It is not that Covid19 isn’t dangerous – it is a terrible development. But the flu data is pretty astounding if you really wanted to focus on it. Every year 300k to 600k people around the world die of the seasonal flu. The US CDC reports that there are over 20mn cases of flue this season alone (season starts in October) with 19 thousand deaths. I just read on the CDC website that 20 infants died last week from the seasonal flu. If Covid19 killed 20 babies last week we would all be horrified, but there are some risks in life we just get used to. I’m sure if we looked up traffic accidents and other stats that it would be pretty obvious that even if the Covid19 outbreak becomes as large as what happened in China, the average American is still more at risk of dying from driving home from work than from Covid19. If Singapore is anything to go by, the acceptance happened surprisingly quickly and within a month we are getting back to normal even though the outbreak continues.

It is not that Covid19 isn’t dangerous – it is a terrible development. But the flu data is pretty astounding if you really wanted to focus on it. Every year 300k to 600k people around the world die of the seasonal flu. The US CDC reports that there are over 20mn cases of flue this season alone (season starts in October) with 19 thousand deaths. I just read on the CDC website that 20 infants died last week from the seasonal flu. If Covid19 killed 20 babies last week we would all be horrified, but there are some risks in life we just get used to. I’m sure if we looked up traffic accidents and other stats that it would be pretty obvious that even if the Covid19 outbreak becomes as large as what happened in China, the average American is still more at risk of dying from driving home from work than from Covid19. If Singapore is anything to go by, the acceptance happened surprisingly quickly and within a month we are getting back to normal even though the outbreak continues.

Seasonal flu data is plenty astounding. Around 300 to 600 thousand dead each year depending on the study you look at.
Car collision data is even more astounding simply because over 90% of collisions are caused by human error. WHO says there were 1.25 million deaths directly related to road safety in 2013. I can't find updated information, but let's assume this number increased to 1.5 million by 2019 (it's unlikely it did).

So, 2.1 million deaths from seasonal flu and car collisions combined in 2019, at worst.

Now, coronavirus and it's potential as an epidemic under two scenarios, historical worst case and conservative.

Worst case is a comparison with Spanish flu. As I have previously written, the infection rate for Spanish flue during the 1918 to 1920 outbreak was 30% of the global population. It was actually 27% of the population. If coronavirus reaches that infection rate, that would mean 2.052 billion are infected. The mortality rate for coronavirus has increased over the last week to 3.4%. Remaining static, that mortality rate would mean 69.7 million people would die from the disease, interestingly (but unimportantly) around the same number as the middling estimates for Spanish flu fatalities.

Conservative comparisons could be the 2009 flu pendemic which we knew as the Swine flu outbreak. This strain of the virus infected between 10 and 20 percent of the global population. That would mean a coronavirus outbreak similar to Swine flu would leave between 760 million and 1.52 billion people infected. Based on COVID-19's current mortality rate the number of deaths would total between 25 million and 51 million deaths. I think many people forget Swine flu killed as many as 600,000 people over two years as well.

Of course, both the above outbreaks lastest around two years each, so splitting that up and assuming the coronavirus outbreak lasts a similar timeframe, would mean anywhere from 12 million to 34 million deaths per year over 2020 and 2021.

So, the only scenario where coronavirus does not become a much bigger issue than seasonal flu and car collisions is the current scenario. It would need to stop spreading now or in the next few months to avoid becoming a bigger killer this year alone. Unfortunately, there's no signs that a lid is being put on this outbreak and it will stop spreading in the near future. I am also only talking about an historic flu-based worst case scenario but the funny thing about history is it likes to be made. Coronavirus could set a new benchmark, for want of a better word. Granted, it could also peter out and become a footnote, but again the current situation does not suggest that.

By the way, I am not really offering any predictions either way but am simply putting some perspective against the comparisons with seasonal flu, car collisions, and tornados.

To dismiss this coronavirus outbreak as just a strong flu is folly at best . There have been over 96 deaths in Italy alone in the last 48 hours and this is a small geographical area in the north of Italy . I do not know why there is a much higher death rate there than South Korea and other countries but in less than 10 days over 200 people have died in the north of Italy and this is unprecedented for a flu in this region known for its long living healthy people . In Italy like most of Europe there is a lot of fear of this as it has the unknown factor . Its true that car accidents and heart attacks are more prevalent in the world but this does not generate the same histeria as a unkown virus that can wipe out your parents or grandparents overnight .

When we look back over history the spanish flu came in three waves the first one was relatively mild but the second and third one were very lethal for alll segments of the population . The statistics coming out of Italy and Iran show a much higher death rate than most asian countries and this needs to be studied in depth why this is happening .

To dismiss this coronavirus outbreak as just a strong flu is folly at best . There have been over 96 deaths in Italy alone in the last 48 hours and this is a small geographical area in the north of Italy . I do not know why there is a much higher death rate there than South Korea and other countries but in less than 10 days over 200 people have died in the north of Italy and this is unprecedented for a flu in this region known for its long living healthy people . In Italy like most of Europe there is a lot of fear of this as it has the unknown factor . Its true that car accidents and heart attacks are more prevalent in the world but this does not generate the same histeria as a unkown virus that can wipe out your parents or grandparents overnight .

When we look back over history the spanish flu came in three waves the first one was relatively mild but the second and third one were very lethal for alll segments of the population . The statistics coming out of Italy and Iran show a much higher death rate than most asian countries and this needs to be studied in depth why this is happening .

As viruses do this one has already mutated so there are now two strains and one is apparently more infectious and lethal than the other. Which my be the why. See the video.

As viruses do this one has already mutated so there are now two strains and one is apparently more infectious and lethal than the other. Which my be the why. See the video.

Thank you for your excellent video . Iran atm is in caos and the hospitals are completely full with unofficially 10s of thousands of cases . I have a friend in Tehran and fear rules the streets there now . One of the top health officials predicts that 40% of the Tehran population will get infected in the next 4 weeks . This is a city of over 12 million people metropolitan area

Back