Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
For a while now, I've been wondering about how reliable virus' numbers are. Sounded like much of what is published is educated guesswork, often contradictory. Here's a good piece on the subject.

I'm amazed that this author, an epidimiologist from Stanford , makes this argument. It is certainly not at all the WHO or consensus scientific view.

Also, the majority of his argument is based on extrapolating mortality rates from.a.tiny sample size ,and far more importantly, on a closed.cruise ship where easily.enforced quarentine measures were in place to prevent transmission from early on.

To then use that to argue that, therefore death rates are much lower than the WHOs (who in any case use a much bigger sample size of data) . And that this means we don't need untested social distancing, is amazingly irrational, it's literally the opposite of what his example shows. That when you have a closed.group of the most vulnerable and quarentine them all to their cabins, it doesn't spread and kill a ton of them.

Am I missing something?

Cheers!

here, this may help you a bit, hopefully.

Expat,

In one post you say the coronavirus has a death rate of 2 - 4% "mortality rate of COVID-19 is anywhere from 2 to 4 percent,"

Then you quote CDC numbers saying "The 2017-2018 flu season as an example was severe for all US populations and resulted in an estimated 959,000 hospitalizations and 61,099 deaths " . Those same CDC numbers you quoted as evidence that the flu is more deadly indicate that 20 million visited a doctor for medical care for the flu that year. Many more probably had it that didn't see a doctor. That gives a death rate of .3%.

2 - 4% coronavirus vs .3% flu, according to your numbers. Then you go on to state "the death rate is not higher for coronavirus in comparison to the flu,"

Now you post a video saying the numbers are all manipulated by the governments. Then why did you quote government numbers to begin with?

This video also proclaims that this is a grand plan by every government to kill off pensioners because they are causing economic problems. This virus is causing way more economic damage than 5% of pensioners dying would save governments for pension payouts and other related senior care.

You're not making a coherent argument.

Last edited:
This understanding of the virus is the thing that from a medical background is the most disturbing. I am amazed after almost 4 months no truly accurate info to deal with relating to so many things. For example the it can live up to 9 days on surfaces then yesterday another study says 3 days. This is like being is a dark room looking for the light switch so far. Data flying all over the board. Wait what here this over there down there wait no this and yes no that..... This is what the information and understanding of this thing seems like so far. I am not underplaying the critical nature of the circumstance but sure would like some solid data once and for all.

What's truly amazing is the people's collective stupidity. A Uruguayan woman got sick in Europe, flew back to Montevideo and went to a large wedding, where she generously gave the virus to forty people.

Right now, Argentines and Uruguayans are happily flocking to the seashore, same as Peruvians. And Florida's beaches are crowded with college students celebrating Spring Break.

Probably because Thailand is one of the countries partnered with the WHO for the 'solidarity covid trials' which were announced earlier by the WHO (see their daily YouTube update).
There will be 6 different pharmas tested across various countries. Favipiravir is one of them.
The WHO in their address today made clear that so far there is nowhere near enough data to show effectiveness, hence the trials.
PS, as with the refusal to use the cheap generic tests provided by the WHO, the USA and the UK are not forming part of this initiative, preferring to 'partner with the private sector' to monetize the related covid tests/treatments. Fyi
Much appreciated your guidance on the WHO daily report. Looking forward to getting to it today.
First thing this morning, another Thailand sourced article, as they are ramping up there. (and why it's taken so long to see reported cases increasing in a country that was full of Chinese tourists when this broke is a mystery aside).
There was a reference in the article to an active, 'in the field' trial ongoing in France using two existing meds that they report are giving positive results using: Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin. To quote from https://www.covidtrial.io
A recent well controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% of patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment." You should read the full article.
I'm in no way intending to be sensational or give false hope, but it is a time, a situation in war like conditions when frontline scientists close to the battle are testing solutions. Scientists I might add unlikely to toss their reputations with false claims.
Very much a story of interest for a science and medical background observer, moi.
Just to edit an additional bit of information from the article:
Hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an inexpensive, globally available drug (tablet) that was approved for widespread medical use since 1955. It is commonly used today to treat malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Last edited:
What's truly amazing is the people's collective stupidity. A Uruguayan woman got sick in Europe, flew back to Montevideo and went to a large wedding, where she generously gave the virus to forty people.

Right now, Argentines and Uruguayans are happily flocking to the seashore, same as Peruvians. And Florida's beaches are crowded with college students celebrating Spring Break.

This fact has never ceased to amaze me. Stupidity and it really sucks for those of that are not stupid because as seen in your post stupid has the potential to kill people.

Yep, Darwin awards all around for these idiots. Unfortunately the rest of us are at risk on their reckless stupidity. I for one would be encouraged to see the Spring Break crowd rounded up and behind barbed wire in Florida. Unfortunately Florida is governed by a Republican with his nose up Trump's ass.

Yep, Darwin awards all around for these idiots. Unfortunately the rest of us are at risk on their reckless stupidity. I for one would be encouraged to see the Spring Break crowd rounded up and behind barbed wire in Florida. Unfortunately Florida is governed by a Republican with his nose up Trump's ass.

Typical democratic response . Maybe we can burn the witches at the stake as well

Myself, I'd like to see them marooned in a remote island, where they could drink, party, and mate to their heart's content until the virus does them all in. Such morons are better excluded from the gene pool.

Back