Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
People need to relax. This virus will probably never hit Argentina and the death toll will likely never pass 1,000 - a totally insignificant number, relatively speaking. This ludicrous panic is 100% about people being pointlessly paranoid.

People need to relax. This virus will probably never hit Argentina and the death toll will likely never pass 1,000 - a totally insignificant number, relatively speaking. This ludicrous panic is 100% about people being pointlessly paranoid.

Paranoia is a big party of it, but not all of it. There is a huge geo-political element attached to it also.

I suggest anyone who thinks the death toll will never pass 1,000 watch this video:

And I suggest those who want to see someone who represents millions of people who are "pointlessly paranoid" watch this one:

the "death toll" is actually at 900 now. Most likely it will top 2000- but its unlikely it will come anywhere near auto accident numbers of deaths.
and little publicisized is the research that is coming out, now that we have had a month or two to study the numbers- it turns out that the vast majority of people DONT die. The "Case Fatality Rate" is only now being figured out, as the dust settles from intitial panic.

Its certainly a dangerous disease, but at this early stage, it looks like 80% of the cases are recovering, and thats before serious research on treatment, vaccines, or how it really works. Should be much better as the science gets done. Dont get me wrong, I dont wanna get it, but reports of the demise of the human race, and the downfall of global civilisation, seem a bit premature.

but its unlikely it will come anywhere near auto accident numbers of deaths

It's a question of fat tailed risks. There is no harm in following the precautionary principle where the spread can increase in a nonlinear way. It can't be compared to auto accidents because they are thin tailed, never multiplicative.

Not suggesting people should freak out, especially outside of China, but an abundance of caution does seem warranted. I acknowledge that there is probably lots of false, sensationalized news about the virus. Nothing drives media consumption like fear!

I suggest anyone who thinks the death toll will never pass 1,000 watch this video:

And I suggest those who want to see someone who represents millions of people who are "pointlessly paranoid" watch this one:

Why are adults so triggered by Greta? Are you one of those "climate truthers"?

As of ten hours ago, the number of people aboard the Diamond Princess who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus was in excess of 130.

I came across a news item this morning where authorities in Hong Kong think the virus may be transmitted through a building's pipes. I'd guess this bears watching. It might possibly explain the cruise ship situation....or not.

Back