Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
This endless quarantine is a cure than is worse than the disease.

Even if 3 or 5 percent of the people die, is that worse than economic collapse worse than the 2000 crisis.

More people could very well end up starving to death or having their house burned down in riots.

And the children will suffer the most.

It's better to have some old folks die off then have millions of kids living in the street going through garbage containers for scraps or end up being trafficked...

This could have been handled intelligently . Older people are the main victims of this virus and they should be isolated for a few months not all the population . The younger people are the motor of the economy and as their immunity is much better a smart government would not kill their economy that can kill more lives than the virus itself

PS: Your post is fine by itself. And is about the current situation.
Mine is clearly about the choices ahead.

Iz

With the Spanish Flu in 1918, some cities quarantined and some cities didn't. The cities that didn't quarantine had a very high initial death rate. But after two years of the Spanish Flu the death rate ended up about the same for quarantined and non-quarantined cities. The cities that didn't quarantine developed herd immunity and saw almost no cases in the second year. Some of the quarantined cities second year was their worse year. So after two years, no difference in the death rate but the cities that invoked quarantine suffered much worse economic damage.

For me, because of my age, it's in my personal benefit to have quarantine. If the economy collapses and social stability breaks down with rioting and violence, I'll be able to escape back to the US.

I'm worried about my friends in Argentina with children. I don't want to see a repeat of 2000 or worse, possible military dictatorship, etc.

If the economy collapses and social stability breaks down with rioting and violence, I'll be able to escape back to the US.
On the assumption it won't be the same in the US. I don't think any country can come out the other side of a lengthy lockdown in good shape. At the same time, we really are in a situation of damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's increasingly moving towards a point where choices will have to be made. Those choices may result in deciding who lives and who dies.

Hyperbolic? We're not there yet? That will never happen? If you doubt the potential of this situation to worsen, just think back to around six weeks ago when many were flippantly denying the outbreak was even something to be concerend about.

None of us will have any say in how this is going to unfold that is for sure. My thinking is that science will nail this thing before a two year epic fall out. My fear is that humanity as stupid as it is will have not learned from this. As we have seen even in this event and so many others.

With the Spanish Flu in 1918, some cities quarantined and some cities didn't. The cities that didn't quarantine had a very high initial death rate. But after two years of the Spanish Flu the death rate ended up about the same for quarantined and non-quarantined cities. The cities that didn't quarantine developed herd immunity and saw almost no cases in the second year. Some of the quarantined cities second year was their worse year. So after two years, no difference in the death rate but the cities that invoked quarantine suffered much worse economic damage.

For me, because of my age, it's in my personal benefit to have quarantine. If the economy collapses and social stability breaks down with rioting and violence, I'll be able to escape back to the US.

I'm worried about my friends in Argentina with children. I don't want to see a repeat of 2000 or worse, possible military dictatorship, etc.
The idea behind the quarantine is to win time to build more hospitals, artificial respirators, to experiment with treatments, and a vaccine.

It's only racist when you do it. LOL...
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and National Migration Administration:

China has decided to suspend the entry of foreigners with currently valid visas and residence permits in China # from 00:00 on March 28, 2020 .

A few weeks back:
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said that Beijing "does not agree with the approach adopted by individual countries to create tension or even panic" by closing borders, trade, and flights to and from China.

WHO boss Tedros also piled on - saying these flight bans and border closures were racist.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...t1rvwS0Q06aY9136RV3XgZFDQDrfPvkUvf1kokJKUh4bc

Not sure where practical info belongs, but will leave here as this thread gets the most traffic.
Have been signing up, where and when possible, with Coto and Disco for online shopping and home delivery and then learning to navigate the sites.
Eventually you get the hang of it. At times their sites are down with server issues and could not get on.
Received a solicitation from Rappi, a shopping site that features products from Coto, Disco, Jumbo, Carrefour. But a narrower selection of products.
The selections are more limited but their website pops, easy to use, navigate, pay, get receipt, delivery info.
So my first shopping adventure was with Rappi. Placed the order on Sunday or Monday, they promised delivery on Thursday.
It went well, right on time, and there's a phone app that communicates with you, updates delivery progress and you can message with your delivery person. Recommended.

Back