Cost of living in Buenos

buenos work

Registered
Hello All,

I've recently received an offer from my company to represent the firm in Argentina, based in BA.
I'm now negotiating the terms and I don't know how to approach it since there is no consistency in the information published in the Internet.

what I'm basically interested to know is what will be a logical monthly budget for a couple living in BA while enjoying the city and the country in general..

Any information will be appreciated,

Thanks,

O

Furnished apartment: 800-1000 usd, nice neighborhood 1 br apt ( includes utilities )
Medical Insurance: 175 usd
Groceries: 400 usd
Entertainment ( dining out 2x a week, movies, bar, etc ) 200-300 usd
Travel ( short trip once a month ) 700-1000 usd

My guesstimate is between 2500-3500 usd monthly, you will not live like rich but will be comfortable.

You can of course tighten it up and do

Furnished studio: 500 - 650 usd ( average neighborhood like Congreso including utilities )
Not get insurance and go to the public hospital
Groceries: 350 usd
Entertainment ( get pizza delivered once a week and do free activities and lots of sightseeing ) 150 usd
Don´t travel

This would be around 1200 - 1500 usd

Nice furnished apartment, car, some travel, household help, utilities, mid-price restaurants twice a week: US$ 3,500/month. Ask for a cost of living adjustment indexed to Arg. inflation - it's been running into double digits for the past three years.

As head of your company in Agentina you'd be in the mid to upper management class. Locally, good management people get about five thousand dollars a month. Not as much as it sounds, as the dollar has been lagging behind local inflation.

Thank you for all the prompt replies :)

1. Regarding apt. - I'm a bit claustrophobic, would it be possible to get a 3-4 br flat in a good area (e.g. Palermo) in a 'reasonable' price, let's say up to 1500 US$

2. In case I'm working in downtown BA, Is there a real need to lease a car? won't it be easier and cheaper just to use the subway and taxies?

3. Are you anticipating a scale up in the local inflation (any signs for stabilization)?

Thanks,

O

If your company is willing to guarantee your lease, rent will be lower. A two bedroom apartment, with a balcony, would be around fifteen hundred dollars.

You won't need a car in BA - in fact, it is a hindrance. Rental cars are very expensive - I recently paid seven hundred dollars a week to rent a small and very basic VW Gol in El Calafate (Patagonia).

I've read that 2010's inflation is expected to be over 20%. Official government inflation figures (published by INDEC) mean nothing; they are politically set and artificially low, less than half the real inflation rate.

buenos work said:
1. Regarding apt. - I'm a bit claustrophobic, would it be possible to get a 3-4 br flat in a good area (e.g. Palermo) in a 'reasonable' price, let's say up to 1500 US$

-- Assuming you want a furnished apt - I would say no. 3-4 bedrooms furnished would run you closer to 2000 I would guess.

2. In case I'm working in downtown BA, Is there a real need to lease a car? won't it be easier and cheaper just to use the subway and taxies?
-- You definitely won't need a car.

3. Are you anticipating a scale up in the local inflation (any signs for stabilization)?
-- Inflation is roughly 30% and there is no indication it will stabilize any time soon.

Other factors to take into consideration - will you be employed/paid by the company here? If so, you need to factor in 35% income tax that you will have to pay . That's a large chunk of money. If you're not the director of the company and you're employed/paid here, you will have an additional 17% in automatic deductions from your check. So you would be at a 53% tax rate. Keep that in mind. Also, you can't be in the US for more than 30 days a year or you are liable for US income tax as well.

buenos work said:
Thank you for all the prompt replies :)

Thanks,

O

If you are coming for a short period, let´s say 6-12 months your only option will be a furnished apartment, and a 3-4 br furnished apartment would be possible between 1500-2000 usd pero month with utilities included. You really don´t need a car in the city ( and it is a pain, plus you will have to pay 200 usd for a garage. Inflation is estimated around 30% this year, and I honestly do not see any signs for stabilization ( it has been around 20% in the last 3 years.

At what point does one decide that the cost of living, exceeds that of many/most US/EU cities... that the cons outweigh the pros of remaining in or moving to Argentina?

citygirl said:
buenos work said:

-- Assuming you want a furnished apt - I would say no. 3-4 bedrooms furnished would run you closer to 2000 I would guess.

-- You definitely won't need a car.

-- Inflation is roughly 30% and there is no indication it will stabilize any time soon.

Other factors to take into consideration - will you be employed/paid by the company here? If so, you need to factor in 35% income tax that you will have to pay . That's a large chunk of money. If you're not the director of the company and you're employed/paid here, you will have an additional 17% in automatic deductions from your check. So you would be at a 53% tax rate. Keep that in mind. Also, you can't be in the US for more than 30 days a year or you are liable for US income tax as well.

What is this extra 17% tax you are talking about? We do not have 50% taken out as deductions, more like 35% total.

Back