Cost Of Living

JSanders

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to start a new topic and see if I can get any thoughtful insight.

I am currently living and working in the United States, and living a modest and comfortable lifestyle. I received a job offer from a company in Buenos Aires, and I learned that I will be getting compensated in 8000 pesos per month. Reading other forums and blogs, I wanted to get some opinions on whether this might be practical salary to live on. I don't live the most extravagant lifestyle, and I try to live simply, but I do enjoy some finer things and like to eat out several times a week and going out.

I'm just trying to figure out if it would be feasible to relocate in these circumstances. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I dont think 8000 is enough.
If its 8000 plus rent, you wont be having a luxury life. Its less than 800 dollars, and from what I read here prices in the US are similar to here. Maybe you have some things cheaper here. You can live with 8000, but you wont be going out to dinner more than 6/7 times per month. There are lots of free activities here though.

If its 8000 without rent forget it.

If its 8000 plus rent, you wont be having a luxury life. Its less than 800 dollars, and from what I read here prices in the US are similar to here. Maybe you have some things cheaper here. You can live with 8000, but you wont be going out to dinner more than 6/7 times per month. There are lots of free activities here though.

Matiasba - Thanks so much for the info. This company will actually be depositing my salary to my US bank account. If I were to exchange it at blue rate via Xoom, I would be getting more depending on exchange rate. Do you think that might make a difference at all?

Along those lines rent is like US700 for a one bedroom all the income,,,, CAPTCHA

Exactly, rent for a well located 1 bedroom apartment = 3000-4000, but for you, without a local guarantor it will be more, supermarket or groceries, prob around 2000, few hundred for travel and it all starts to get uncomfortably tight. You'd be struggling and unhappy. You would be eating out in fast food restaurants only.

Exactly, rent for a well located 1 bedroom apartment = 3000-4000, but for you, without a local guarantor it will be more, supermarket or groceries, prob around 2000, few hundred for travel and it all starts to get uncomfortably tight. You'd be struggling and unhappy. You would be eating out in fast food restaurants only.

Fast food restos? at .... 70 pesos a pop...!! can mean more than 1000 pesos a month,

Agreed. 8000 pesos is not livable (seriously) if you are expected to pay for housing. If they are giving you accomadations plus that salary, you will live a decent life although not extravgent by any means.

One of the Chinese buffets near my house has half off at 3pm. But you have to be there at 3pm sharp because the regulars hoover up the remaining stock pretty fast and they ain't shy about elbowing you away from that last precious milanesa (a favorite Argentinian delicacy of expats),.

Arenales y Ecuador.

You could probably get enough food for a whole day at 50 pesos.

With xoom at almost ten to one I can live quite well on $8000 per month, but I don't pay rent.

And I'm 650 KM from El Centro.

And I don't go very far from home. :rolleyes:

Back