Could Milei win in the first round?

Massa vs. Milei next month. Lots of plots and subplots. It is amazing how Macri's bunch shot themselves in the foot.
Milei is a Macri creation because he always wanted to get rid of radicals and Peronists.

Will Milei play nice with JxC so he can become president, and be less crazy, or will he cut off his nose to spite his face? We'll find out in less than a month it seems

Will Milei play nice with JxC so he can become president, and be less crazy, or will he cut off his nose to spite his face? We'll find out in less than a month it seems

I think Miei is done anyways. It is clear there was a revolt. I think most JxC votes should go to Massa, They personally don't like Milei.

Milei is Argentina's Marine Le Pen. Enough support to make the runoff, nowhere near enough to win it.
I think this is right. Probably more like Boric v. Kast but, yeah, certainly it's clear that he will not become the president this time around.

Kind of surprising that Massa will be the guy, and I definitely do not think he is the man for the job, but I also take heart that had Milei won, I personally would have suffered based on higher costs in the short term based on currency collapse making goods difficult to obtain (and thus more expensive, with knock-on effects up and down, services etc.), and then higher costs in the medium and longer term on the basis of higher economic success in Argentina.

I'm disappointed to the extent that Argentina seems not to want to change - Massa will get the lion's share of the votes from Bullrich, and Milei needed a big win to get the political class to bend to his will, and that hope is gone - but, the silver lining is that nearly every single person on this forum will benefit.

I was here in SF hanging with my Argentine peeps, nearly all ardent Milei-supporters, and realizing he was out of the running in all but counting the second round votes, you would be surprised at how indifferent they were. "I feel like a multi-millionaire when I go back home" is the general sense, a person said that verbatim.

I feel terrible for the Argentines that the primary change agent that actually does want well needed electroshock therapy to the economy and culture there . . . also happens to be deeply insane.

I was here in SF hanging with my Argentine peeps, nearly all ardent Milei-supporters, and realizing he was out of the running in all but counting the second round votes, you would be surprised at how indifferent they were. "I feel like a multi-millionaire when I go back home" is the general sense, a person said that verbatim.

I feel terrible for the Argentines that the primary change agent that actually does want well needed electroshock therapy to the economy and culture there . . . also happens to be deeply insane.
And that's the key. Easy for you to say that "electroshock therapy" is needed, when you're not the one to whom the electrodes will be attached. Easy for you to say we need it, when you're watching comfortably from San Francisco. For those of us who live here, last night's results are like a reprieve from heaven. Except it's actually not a reprieve, only a stay of execution.

If you've got the money for flying back & forth, and "hanging with your Argentine peeps", then you won't suffer too much . For a senior living on a rather damn minimal fixed income, it's a little closer to the bone.

And that's the key. Easy for you to say that "electroshock therapy" is needed, when you're not the one to whom the electrodes will be attached. Easy for you to say we need it, when you're watching comfortably from San Francisco. For those of us who live here, last night's results are like a reprieve from heaven. Except it's actually not a reprieve, only a stay of execution.

If you've got the money for flying back & forth, and "hanging with your Argentine peeps", then you won't suffer too much . For a senior living on a rather damn minimal fixed income, it's a little closer to the bone.

This result is like a dose of Tylenol. The political temperature has been reduced, but the illness remains. I'm a little surprised more people didn't see Bullrich as the reasonable alternative. She's not the warmest and fuzziest person, but is she really that disliked?

Back