COVID-19 vaccine development pipeline gears up

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Breeding more monkeys in the U.S. will take years, along with sustained funding. The country has a limited number of breeding facilities, including the NIH-funded primate centers. Monkeys set aside for breeding can’t be used for research either."

I'm not sure what they're talking about. America has about 150 million monkeys running around.

20 September 2020
BRASILIA.- Argentina and Brazil are among the many Latin American countries that requested more time to commit to the global project for the distribution of the coronavirus vaccine known as COVAX, of the World Health Organization (WHO), and they have the intention to do so as soon as possible after failing to sign within a deadline that expired on Friday.

Argentina asked for more time to prepare the required paperwork, but hopes to sign its commitment to the WHO-led vaccine mechanism on Wednesday, a Health Ministry official told Reuters....

I heard Biden warning people not to trust any vaccine that's rushed into production by Trump.
My doctor kinda agrees, politics aside the first batch of vaccine carries more risk. Also that it's worth travelling back to the US to get innoculated there instead of in Argentina.

Are you going to take the vaccine as soon as it's available or wait to make sure it's safe?
And do you think that the vaccine distributed in Arg will be as safe and effective as back home?

Last edited:
I heard Biden warning people not to trust any vaccine that's rushed into production by Trump.
My doctor kinda agrees, politics aside the first batch of vaccine carries more risk. Also that it's worth travelling back to the US to get innoculated there instead of in Argentina.

Are you going to take the vaccine as soon as it's available or wait to make sure it's safe?
And do you think that the vaccine distributed in Arg will be as safe and effective as back home?
Have read there are 9 different vaccines in trials. They are testing them on people, no one is dying. Side effects I've heard include minor headaches.

Everyone keeps simply assuming there WILL be a vaccine NEXT year approved by a reputable health authority. There MAY be one. If there is one, I will take it, but not immediately. I think it's prudent to wait a while and be surer that it's safe.

Have read there are 9 different vaccines in trials. They are testing them on people, no one is dying. Side effects I've heard include minor headaches.

Two worries: some side effects may not show up until later. Rushing the manufacturing process can weaken the quality control and result in 'bad batches' of vaccine..

Two worries: some side effects may not show up until later. Rushing the manufacturing process can weaken the quality control and result in 'bad batches' of vaccine..
True, possible. Also likely that they can be sued for extraordinary amounts of money if they screw up. With the capabilities scientists have today compared to 50 years ago that explains much of the speed with which they are moving. If they go through the recommended amount of trials and prove its effectiveness I'm taking it. And hope Argentina will push it so that we can get on with life.

When this whole thing began I found compelling the articles saying it was possible there would never be a vaccine, or that several years might pass before one became available. So I consciously decided that my best approach was to adjust my life and my expectations to the assumption we were stuck with the virus, whilst hoping to be pleasantly surprised if a vaccine did one day appear. It seemed better to accept, without passing through the stages of grief, that my life had permanently changed and adjust accordingly, instead of going into a kind of holding pattern resisting the new way of living, waiting for a vaccine to miraculously deposit me back into my old life.

There seems to be a lot of optimism not only that there will be a vaccine but that it will be here within 12 months. Since we are now six months into this (today is September 20, and--if I remember correctly--the lockdown started on March 20), another 12 months would align with the initial optimistic projections of 18 months at the earliest. That would be a great result from a health perspective for billions of people. However, whilst we can be more positive now than in March about the likelihood of there being a vaccine, we can be less positive on another score: it is now very clear (because most authorities seem to be saying so) that the first vaccines will have only modest levels of effectiveness. I doubt many of us armchair expects understood that back in March. It is a very important factor, that we should not overlook even as we find ourselves bombarded with news about how quickly science is advancing towards vaccines.

I feel like I have made the successful adjustment in the way I envisaged back in March. I don't feel frustrated that things are the way they are. I don't long for my old life and I am not in a holding pattern hanging out for a vaccine that will take me back there. Some people I know do seem to be living that way. Good for them; but my approach seems to be working for me. I follow the vaccine developments on the same basis I imagined in March: if it comes, and comes quickly, that will be good for many many people; but, because I am adjusted to the new normal, for myself, I will take my time to evaluate the benefits and risks and only take it when I think the time and the conditions are right.

Last edited:
no one died so far, but...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/health/astrazeneca-vaccine-trial-document/index.html

and there was another similar case on July 9, which was said not to have anything to do with the shot...
a bit of a coincidence wouldn't you think? young healthy trial participants become ill instantly after the shot, but it has not connected to vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back