Crafty People?

mini

Registered
I've been wondering if there are any crafty people around & if so what about a "craft circle"? I used to meet with a girl once a week, basically we had a "craft line" (lol) as it was only the two of us!! But it was fun & others would join us once in a blue moon. Anyone?

Also, I have a two torch lampwork studio in Palermo. I've been toying with the idea of giving classes - in English. There is lots of interest for classes in Spanish. However, I'm just not sure I'm up to giving them in Spanish, with the safety issues and all. So, I'm wondering if there might be interest from those who speak English?

I would definitely be up for a craft day! I organized a 'stitch and bitch' a while back, and we had a blast; although it was only like 3 girls and they have since left town. I'm sure we could find more people. I recently learned a craft where you make a hanging planter out of a recycled lightbulb, and I have all the tools needed.

flippinkittin said:
I would definitely be up for a craft day! I organized a 'stitch and bitch' a while back, and we had a blast; although it was only like 3 girls and they have since left town. I'm sure we could find more people. I recently learned a craft where you make a hanging planter out of a recycled lightbulb, and I have all the tools needed.

Oh! Well, I'd like to learn that! Sounds fun!
I'll send you a PM with my contact details.

Can you make things out of old beer/wine bottles using the lampwork equipment? Or is it mostly for smaller pieces of glass? I'd really like to learn about more ways to reuse materials... Do either of you have a glass cutter that works with bottles? I've always wanted to make a set of drinking glasses out of fun beer bottles but have never been able to get it to work.

SaraOR said:
Can you make things out of old beer/wine bottles using the lampwork equipment? Or is it mostly for smaller pieces of glass? I'd really like to learn about more ways to reuse materials... Do either of you have a glass cutter that works with bottles? I've always wanted to make a set of drinking glasses out of fun beer bottles but have never been able to get it to work.

No, learning lampwork won't help you make glasses out of beer bottles.

But you can use any glass you like, however, you just can't mix random glass together. You certainly can melt glass bottles into beads (or whatever). Bombay Sapphire beads are particularly pretty.

Right, I didn't think lampwork and making glasses were the same thing. Good to know you can make beads out of bottles though.

To make glasses out of bottles, one needs glass cutter that you can rotate a bottle around to score the glass. The problem is, nobody seems to have one. Most people have a glass cutter made for cutting flat glass or cutting little pieces for mosiacs. I've tried those, but they don't work... Then one also needs a dremel to sand the edges well...

SaraOR said:
Right, I didn't think lampwork and making glasses were the same thing. Good to know you can make beads out of bottles though.

To make glasses out of bottles, one needs glass cutter that you can rotate a bottle around to score the glass. The problem is, nobody seems to have one. Most people have a glass cutter made for cutting flat glass or cutting little pieces for mosiacs. I've tried those, but they don't work... Then one also needs a dremel to sand the edges well...

Making glasses out of bottles is huge pain in the you-know-where if you don't have a glass saw and glass grinder. I had originally written a whole thing about it but then decided not to send. You CAN torch cut the top & then melt it smooth. That's how they do it in the factories. But then you have to put it in a kiln to cool.

Your best bet would be to find a glass store and ask them to send the bottles out to get cut and sanded. That's what people who do glass fusing do to put the hole in a bowl to make a sink. How much will that cost? I have no idea.

Hi guys, I'd be up for some crafty business too. The beads sound lovely. I work with wood quite a bit, making frames for my paintings, plus I make a whole load of different things to put around the house and garden, lampshades, candle holders, sculptures, anything really. I especially love to recycle stuff.

trey said:
Hi guys, I'd be up for some crafty business too. The beads sound lovely. I work with wood quite a bit, making frames for my paintings, plus I make a whole load of different things to put around the house and garden, lampshades, candle holders, sculptures, anything really. I especially love to recycle stuff.

Yeah! Fun!! FP & I have been emailing, trying to get a plan together. I'll send you a PM with my contact details.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Expat Life 5