Crazy restaurant

Many restaurants charge a 'cubierto' fee. It's a table service charge and most times includes some bread, butter, still water or maybe a little extra (tiny cookie at a cafe, etc) or a lot extra (glass of champagne and sauces at certain steakhouses). It's common and, with inflation, I guess $1,500 really is on par with what amount it was years ago. Some restaurants ditched the cubierto charge but raised menu prices so, who knows.

For me, $1,500 when I'm choosing to go to a full service restaurant to eat isn't terrible, but this also doesn't go to the staff that serves your table, it goes to house. It's been customary in eating establishments here for as long as I remember. If you're concerned, I'd ask before ordering whether they charge a cubierto and how much it is...so you can dine accordingly but not be upset with the business for charging a fee that's quite normal and customary here.

The restaurant business is a tough one and many places are struggling to stay afloat now that costs for their rent, sourced food, electric bills...are skyrocketing. I try to be cognizant of that and go to places I really like, to support them so at least the fee goes to a place I really enjoy, in hopes they adjust to uncertain inflation and stick around. A small price to pay to keep places afloat in this uncertain climate. It's been hard on a lot of people living here, dining out is far less accessible but when I can, I like to support those institutions.

I don't want to see this city devolve into a landscape of chain restaurants and look-alike mini malls.The independent businesses here really contribute to the allure of the city. But, again, no shame in asking the fee before being seated so you can dine elsewhere if you'd like to avoid it, as plenty of places have just folded that fee into menu prices.
P55...thank you for the explanation. The practice then...goes down a little easier. The two local people that I was with had not experienced this charge before..either. And thanks for the comments of Steveninbasas.....he is always a stand up guy.

P55...thank you for the explanation. The practice then...goes down a little easier. The two local people that I was with had not experienced this charge before..either. And thanks for the comments of Steveninbasas.....he is always a stand up guy.
Thanks for the compliment about me being a "stand up guy."

It was obviously sarcastic and insincere and even if it's true, you simply don't know me well enough to label me using that expression, which, once you understand what it means, you may see how it was misapplied.

"The dictionary defines a `stand-up guy' as one who is “an honest and straightforward man of good character.”

It's a term associated with respect, trust and loyalty. Historically, it was a person who could be counted on to fight on your side if called on; one who would not be afraid to 'stand up and be counted."

Some members of this forum have desribed this group as being populated (to roll several comments into one) by a bunch of "bitter, angry and old, tax-evading, bottom-feeding geezers who live in Argentina because it's cheap." Add "selfish" to those of us who didn't want to be jabbed and ard are now relieved (if not elated) with having made that decision.

Fortunately, am not bitter about anything, nor a tax evader (or even an "anti-vaxxer).

Although I never thought of.using the expression "stand up guy" to describe myself before today, the first expression I thought of after reading the quoted post was, "If the shoe fits, wear it."

PS: I was a stand up comic when I was 17 years old. When I was 16 I became an Eagle Scout.

I stopped being a stand up comic (at least on stage) after graduating from high.school on my eighteenth birthday in late May of 1968.

I never stopped being an Eagle Scout...in every sense of what that entails, especially regarding how I treat others, including replying to any post here, always taking care not to include personal insults, with or without being sarcastic or facetious.

I also take care to use words and expressions with their "correct meaning" and if they have more than one, to use them in the context which can (or should) be understandable by those whose mental facilities are still sufficiently intact.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment about me being a "stand up guy."

It was obviously sarcastic and insincere and even if it's true, you simply don't know me well enough to label me using that expression, which, once you understand what it means, you may see how it was misapplied.
The phrase "how well it was misapplied" should be "how well it applies."

PS: I have to add that I would never "stand up" for anyone, including my closest friends if they acted irrationally and made a "spectacle" of themseves in public, even if their actions were based on ignorance

Last edited:
The phrase "how well it was misapplied" should be "how well it applies."

PS: I have to add that I would never "stand up" for anyone, including my closest friends if they acted irrationally and made a "spectacle" of themseves in public, even if their actions were based on ignorance
Jeez....well....I am a 'stand up guy' I will pay the 1500 next time so that I don't have to sit on the floor....perhaps one can say that I will become a 'stand up' guy. And referring to the 'dicho' meaning I want you to know that I am a 'stand up' guy and will help you get to your next visit with your psychotherapist...... If you need a month of care....I will help with the payment. If you run out of medication I will pay for a month's supply. When you recover (very optimistic) I will give you a weekend at the Four Seasons (that is a hotel) so you can recover comfortably The hotel will insist you take a bath before checking in.

In reply to SB

The excellent Italian resto, La Alacena in Palermo, asks if you want panera/bread in which case they omit the 800 peso cubierto. Fair enough. The panera consists of a ciabatta bread and an olive oil spread ..!

"Table charge" is not charged to sit at the table 😄. It's normal.

Back