Crazy restaurant

I havent been to Italy for a while, but the times I have been there, pretty much every restaurant charged a coperto. And since 60% of Argentines are of Italian descent, I am pretty sure thats where the cubierto comes from. I am told in Italy these days its 2 or 3 euros.
I have found that in the last 15 years, the number of restaurants that charge it in Buenos Aires declines every year. It used to be really common, especially for nicer restaurants. I think I have been charged it ONCE in the last few years.
So its always possible, but really rare these days.
I was going to say the same thing, even when popping in for a quick expresso.

Back in the day I lived in Sardinia, and there was always a table charge. I remember a local bar restaurant we used to stop at on our way off the ferry coming from work in Palau where we would stand at the bar and drink 90 mL glasses of wine. There was a specific tax that had to be paid on the drink if you stood at the bar you could avoid and not pay tthe table charge or drink tax. It was 250 lira for that 90 mL glass of house wine, and you would buy the entire bar a round and then just sit there and sip it and got refilled until you came back around again to buy for the bar.

Back