Crime Beware

NYKate said:
What about Chuck Norris or, my personal fav, Dirty Harry? :p

Well, all these people are getting on (in real life). The serious point is the breakdown of the social contract, as conventional jobs vanish, the middle class evaporates, the disparity between the rich and poor grows, and the rich fence themselves off. In cities like Karachi and Lahore, the rich do move around with armed bodyguards -- armed with semi-automatics.

On an individual basis one can take precautions, but what we seem to be witnessing is societal breakdown.

Well, you can also follow the common sense Rio de Janeiro rules:
1. dress down,
2. don't take anything on the street you don't want to lose. If you do, like an ATM card, go directly there, get cash, go directly home. Get rid of what you don't need.
3. at night, take taxis everywhere.

If necessary, carry a give away wallet with some money in it and stash your real stuff in other pockets that aren't easily detected. And yes, they've figured out that people can also put stuff in their underwear and socks.

On Rio there are two types of gringos, those that have been mugged and those who will be mugged. This also extends to doing business here. Just change the verb to one more graphic.

Seems pertinent to share - I just got off the phone with a friend of mine. His neighbor (porteno - not rich by *any* means) was apparently shot in front of his building at lunchtime today during a robbery. His neighbor wasn't doing anything "flashy", I highly doubt he had anything of value on him and this happened. Luckily his neighbor is going to be okay, they shot him in the leg. Broad daylight on Godoy Cruz and Nicaragua:(

arockwell11 said:
On Rio there are two types of gringos, those that have been mugged and those who will be mugged. This also extends to doing business here. Just change the verb to one more graphic.

Off topic, but some gringo (American) writing a book on Rio commented that in that city anyone can die at any time.

Some expats learn the hard way that they are not immune from crime, no matter how liberal and well-intentioned they may be. Take a look at this http://www.saltshaker.net/20100310/koreatown-caution
which was posted on another thread here. BA has some very pleasant neighborhoods but most of the city is poor and is surrounded by villas (the full term is very aptly ´villa miseria´). No sane Porteno would venture into these places unless he has some special mission - a priest or nun, for example, working in a soup kitchen or a school. Despite what some expats say, it´s NOT the same in North American cities. Conditions there are not nearly as bad, there is little desperation as there is here. Wander out of the expat protection zone and you will discover some shocking realities.

There are Villas Miserias even in BA's poshest areas. Villa 31 is three blocks away from La Recoleta, across the railroad right of way - talk about being "on the wrong side of the tracks"...!

And in San Isidro, the infamous Villa La Cava strikes the fear of God into cab drivers and local residents alike - we all give it a wide berth.

Would any of you ever consider it smart to chase after someone who stole your wallet/phone/camera? I would be seriously tempted, but I don't know if they would be holding a weapon, and so it might get dangerous.

Michael_CA said:
Would any of you ever consider it smart to chase after someone who stole your wallet/phone/camera? I would be seriously tempted, but I don't know if they would be holding a weapon, and so it might get dangerous.

I've done this. I had never thought out this possibility before, so my adrenaline had more to do with my actions than reason. In hindsight, I would say that it was very stupid. He could have had a gun or a knife, and who knows what would have happened. The risk isn't worth it.

SaraSara said:
There are Villas Miserias even in BA's poshest areas. Villa 31 is three blocks away from La Recoleta, across the railroad right of way - talk about being "on the wrong side of the track"...!

And in San Isidro, the infamous Villa La Cava strikes the fear of God into cab drivers and local residents alike - we all give it a wide berth.

This is true. Villa 31, while dangerous, is the very ´best´of the villas in terms of living conditions. Others are far worse. If you want to see how awful conditions are for most people, just take a train from Constitucion Station - to a place like Escobar, for example. Leave your electronics, expensive watch and credit cards at home. Take just enough cash to satisfy the thieves. You´ll see the huge contrast here. The pattern is something like this: villa followed by dirty, poor pueblo, followed by luxurious gated community, followed by villa, dirty poor pueblo, exclusive country club etc.....The servants for the gated communities and country club come from the villas.

Back