Crime hot-spots in the capital

Sorry to hear that stl999. May i ask how long ago that was and from which resto bar?

Had my passport, visa debit card and cellphone stolen right out of my pocket in Recoleta at Austria and Las Heras last August.

Time of day?

va2ba said:
Had my passport, visa debit card and cellphone stolen right out of my pocket in Recoleta at Austria and Las Heras last August.

Ever notice 'rough' barrios like villa soldati, ciudad oculta or dock sud never seem to make these lists, but it's always the rich people neighbourhoods that do?

Does this mean we should

a) All move to Soldati

b) Kick the rich people out of Cap Fed so there will be less crime

c) Stop reading Clarín

EdRooney said:
Ever notice 'rough' barrios like villa soldati, ciudad oculta or dock sud never seem to make these lists, but it's always the rich people neighbourhoods that do?

Does this mean we should

a) All move to Soldati

b) Kick the rich people out of Cap Fed so there will be less crime

c) Stop reading Clarín

Well the headline was "Las nuevas zonas calientes del delito en la Capital Federal", so I'm not sure making a list of villas would have been much of an article.

Reactions: tez
I always thought we were pretty immune up here on the Palermo side of Barrancas de Belgrano (11 de Sept y Teodoro Garcia). Never heard of a single incident in the past four years. But then just on Monday a neighborhood shop owner friend of mine had his bike stolen right in front of his store. The guys cut the chain lock and took off. Apparently the same day, a couple of chorros on a moped cruised by a woman on the corner of Teodoro Garcia / Cabildo and ripped her necklace right off her neck. Now there is a marked increase of police presence on our corners up here. Hoping these are isolated incidents and / or the cops stick around and keep it from getting worse. On a separate note, we had an alarm system installed in our place a few months ago. Not for any real reason other than it somehow just seemed like the right thing to do.

I was very lucky in the seven months I was studying in Buenos Aires to have never been a victim of any sort of robbery. The only uncomfortable situation I was ever in was walking to meet up with a friend from Balbin to Congreso (a good 8-9 blocks ) and a man was following me a few meters back.

This was in the relatively quite neighborhood of Coghlan which doesn't really have a reputation for anything terrible.

This was at, of course, 12:30 at night (in the morning?)

However, said friend I was going to met, an Ushuaian, had earlier been the victim of a robbery near his family's apartment in Villa Lugano (which borders Soldati). This was at 3 pm or so and the robber pointed a knife at my friend and told him to hand everything over.

Needless to say, my friend's complaints about Buenos Aires and the insecurity compared to his native Ushuaia, was a familiar tune I had heard before from several porteños. These are porteños that live all over the city, not just the 'hot zones' noted by Clarín.

In every part of the city that we have lived, Nuñez, Vicente Lopez (north zone), Caballito, and Palermo, we have seen or heard crime.

One day I was walking in Nuñez on Cabildo right near the Congreso subte stop, and I saw two big burly guys running down the street with a backpack screaming back at some guy. 30 seconds later I saw a middle aged man walking in the same direction that was mugged by them with a lot of bleeding from his mouth.

In Vicente Lopez, even though we lived right across the street from the police, there were several robberies nearby. Granted, we were near the train station.

In Caballito there was a big brawl outside in the street at 2 am.

Our first night in the apartment in Palermo, we had the windows open and heard two very distinct gunshots followed by sirens a few minutes later, and we were 2 blocks from the police station.

A lot of the crime here is a matter of timing. One night we were on a bus late at night and my wife overheard a guy talking on his phone telling his buddies to get ready because he's got two gringos for them to come rob as soon as we get off the bus. Needless to say we got out as soon as we could and took a taxi.

My wife almost had her bag stolen from her in the downtown (while she was pregnant no less). I was pick pocketed in Recoleta.

If you use common sense, most of the time you can avoid having anything happen to you. But sometimes you just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I would still choose any of the areas I mentioned over Villa Soldati or Lugano.

Reactions: tez
Back