Crime hot-spots in the capital

mulderfox said:
i edited, thanks. i lost her from my sight for a few seconds i was with my phone in one hand speaking with the 911 telling the operator the movements of the girl, there is a monument in that square you must take the stairs to get to it, there i lost her for a second when i saw her next i thought she was with her 2 accomplices. she was standing in front of 2 people sitting on the grass downhill then one of them handed something from a backpack to the girl, i realised it was a couple of victims only then. the woman hughed her boyfriend i approached them told them my story and that she was unarmed and the guy asked me to help him catch her. the girlfriend stayed behind. we chased her and she took a cab on libertador he waved and signed but he the driver didn´t stop.

If she was unarmed how did she have enough power over her vicitms to make them hand over 20 pesos? Why wouldn't she just take the backpack and run?

Perhaps this is one for the xfiles, mulderfox.

steveinbsas said:
If she was unarmed how did she have enough power over her vicitms to make them hand over 20 pesos? Why wouldn't she just take the backpack and run?

Perhaps this is one for the xfiles, mulderfox.
in my case what she did is: (i`m gonna cut short a few details) standing next to me she said: dame el celular o te pasa de todo, and just put a hand in my pocket she was not expecting any resistance at all. i`m guessing she did the same with them, i mean try to threaten them and scare them not to defende themselves. they talked to her for a while (that confused me to believe the 3 of them were together on it). the guy form the couple did say that he didn`t act because she was a woman (could be just a excuse). i told him:
that`s why you have a goodlooking girlfriend and i`m single. you`re a gentleman...

mulderfox said:
in my case what she did is: (i`m gonna cut short a few details) standing next to me she said: dame el celular o te pasa de todo, and just put a hand in my pocket she was not expecting any resistance at all. i`m guessing she did the same with them, i mean try to threaten them and scare them not to defende themselves. they talked to her for a while (that confused me to believe the 3 of them were together on it). the guy form the couple did say that he didn`t act because she was a woman (could be just a excuse). i told him:
that`s why you have a goodlooking girlfriend and i`m single. you`re a gentleman...

What details did you cut short?

You already said she was unarmed.

Did she outweigh you by 20 or 30 kilos?

If anyone actually put a hand in my pocket I'd put one hand (not necessarily open) in thier face without hesitation, regardless of gender...as I reached for my stun gun with the other.

Davidglen77 said:
One area that hasn't been mentioned is San Nicolás which is technically part of the centro and/or Congreso. It's the area delimited by Cerrito (9 de Julio) and Callao from Rivadavia (plaza del Congreso) to Av. Corrientes.

San Nicolas is from Puerto Madero to Callao between Cordoba and Rivadavia.

Davidglen77 said:
Unfortunately, this neighborhood has suffered many horrible problems and decay and is now full of abandoned buildings, people living in the streets, crime of all kinds, robberies and assaults on a daily basis, and things in this area are getting progressively worse.

It is nice to know that there is not just crime here, but "crime of all kinds". It must be worse than Detroit :). Actually, there are families with children eating ice cream outside of heladerias after the midnight. There are huge lines of nicely dressed people to the theaters on Corrientes right before the performances. They must be taking a break from permanent robberies and assaults.

David, you live in this area, right? In this apocalyptic world of brutal violence have you personally had any major problems? Except occasionally some bum asking you for a moneda?

igor said:
San Nicolas is from Puerto Madero to Callao between Cordoba and Rivadavia.

It is nice to know that there is not just crime here, but "crime of all kinds". It must be worse than Detroit :). Actually, there are families with children eating ice cream outside of heladerias after the midnight. There are huge lines of nicely dressed people to the theaters on Corrientes right before the performances. They must be taking a break from permanent robberies and assaults.

David, you live in this area, right? In this apocalyptic world of brutal violence have you personally had any major problems? Except occasionally some bum asking you for a moneda?

Igor, have you seen this thread?

New and already had a gun pulled on me

Or have your read any of the dozens of posts made by members of the forum who have been vicitms of crime all over the city?

I'm "just asking" (even though I already know the answer).

And, as much as I love sarcasm, I'm surprised that you would be sarcastic about crime in BA.

details that don`t matter like: i saw her first walking from the park to the other sidewalk (where i was) the traffic light was already flashing and libertador is not narrow so i decided to wait, she passed me, the light chaged to red completely and she came back and position herself at my left. another detail she had a small cartoon bag with her. she was average built for a woman so no big at all. this sort of things work only by intimidation if that fails it all fails.
the key might be this:
how do you know she was not armed? because i told you.
how do you know she was alone? because i told you.
how did i find out? because when i reacted she didn`t show me a gun to make me hand my stuff. and no one came to help her
how did the couple know? because i told them but AFTER

it easy to win the lotery when you have a cristal ball... they didn`t have all the facts.

remember the french man killed in retiro he was stabbed after resisting. you don`t always know if a mugger is in possesion of some sort of weapon untill you know.

that modus operandi: threatening you by word only, showing no guns is pretty normal
see this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mcOi65O3w

steveinbsas said:
Igor, have you seen this thread?

New and already had a gun pulled on me

Or have your read any of the dozens of posts made by members of the forum who have been vicitms of crime all over the city?

Steve,

First of all, it happened in Palermo.

Sense of safety is relative. In many cases your previous life experiences are used as a baseline. If you would tell me that somebody pulled a gun on somebody in Washington DC, I'd say so what? I doubt it will get on the front page of Washington Post, or that chief of DC police will be giving a press-conference about it any soon.

But when I hear stories about thousands of abandoned buildings in the downtown and hundreds of homeless children eating from piles of trash in front of Congreso, while trying to hide from sporadic automatic gun fire, I know that this is an articulate overstatement. But a person from Washington DC may take it seriously.

This site is one of the major news sources for expat community nowadays. Almost everything bad that happens to foreigners is reported here. When people stop writing about it, and consider crime to be normal, then I would say we are in trouble.

mulderfox said:
details that don`t matter like: i saw her first walking from the park to the other sidewalk (where i was) the traffic light was already flashing and libertador is not narrow so i decided to wait, she passed me, the light chaged to red completely and she came back and position herself at my left. another detail she had a small cartoon bag with her. she was average built for a woman so no big at all. this sort of things work only by intimidation if that fails it all fails.
the key might be this:
how do you know she was not armed? because i told you.
how do you know she was alone? because i told you.
how did i find out? because when i reacted she didn`t show me a gun to make me hand my stuff. and no one came to help her
how did the couple know? because i told them but AFTER

it easy to win the lotery when you have a cristal ball... they didn`t have all the facts.

remember the french man killed in retiro he was stabbed after resisting. you don`t always know if a mugger is in possesion of some sort of weapon untill you know.

that modus operandi: threatening you by word only, showing no guns is pretty normal
see this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mcOi65O3w

If a woman who was alone (and I was as sure as you of that fact) stuck her hand in my pocket I wouldn't need a crystal ball...just my own hands.

steveinbsas said:
If a woman who was alone (and I was as sure as you of that fact) stuck her hand in my pocket I wouldn't need a crystal ball...just my own hands.
indeed.
just to add 2 things the park has a few surveilance cameras but i`m not sure who they belong to (federal police, metropolitana or other) about 7/10 mins went by since i phoned the police untill she took a taxi and then i waited maybe another 5 mins and no police arrived.

mulderfox said:
indeed.
just to add 2 things the park has a few surveilance cameras but i`m not sure who they belong to (federal police, metropolitana or other) about 7/10 mins went by since i phoned the police untill she took a taxi and then i waited maybe another 5 mins and no police arrived.

I'd laugh but it isn't funny.

I once called for an ambulance when my girlfriend collapsed and it took 30 minutes for them to arrive (the hospital was less than ten blocks from my apartment).

Back