Crime hot-spots in the capital

starlucia said:
David, since you and I live in the same neighborhood, let me recount this fun episode: a few weeks ago (the night before the tourist was killed, actually), around 10pm, my partner got off the bus on Callao and Mitre to walk the few blocks home. Turning onto Rodriguez Pena, she was suddenly surrounded by 4 young thugs who had her pushed up against the wall, with a weapon pressing into her belly. After several minutes of begging and pleading, she apparently convinced them that she didn't have anything worth stealing and they let her go, but through the entire episode, she didn't see a single passerby. And, thanks to the totally unlit streets, she didn't even see the thieves until they were literally body-blocking her on all sides.

I am really really sorry to hear that happened and glad to hear that your partner is okay and nothing worse happened to her.
I know that stretch of Rodriguez Peña very well and if you remember I came to your building to deliver that gift last year. Those few blocks between Rivadavia and Corrientes at night are no man's or woman's land. There is a really big abandoned building on the corner of Perón and R. Peña where I think a lot of shady activity goes on. I live right in front of Congreso, so there are police day and night, but last year one of my neighbors was robbed in her apartment by someone who knocked on the door and unfortunately she opened it and they forced their way in and robbed her. It's getting really scary here.

starlucia said:
I'm not in Buenos Aires anymore, but right before I left, it was getting to the point that I HATED walking around that neighborhood at night. Taxis aren't really an option anymore, so what are you supposed to do if you can't even walk the 3 blocks home from the bus stop in peace? Stay home and knit?

The fact that you aren't in Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) anymore may provide the best (implicit) answer to your (own) question.

It's great to stay home and knit if that's a decision that isn't based on fear of being in the streets near (or actually in front of) your home. If it's that dangerous in BA now, I suggest other (actual as well as potential) )expats consider a different city in Argentina...as I did after four years in Capital Federal.

CarverFan said:
It says they had a door key, what's the consensus on how they obtain these? From the key cutter, the portero, the cleaner?

Any are possible. Or - more likely - a resident lost keys or was robbed and didn't report it to avoid paying for changing the lock and keys. That was the situation in my building here a few years back.

This happens all the time, and not just here. In a NYC coop, after changing the locks and keys 4 times in one year, we decided to charge the replacement cost (about U$ 600) to the owner who lost the keys. Over the next year, there was not a single key lost! But we did record on a security camera a couple unknown people entering with the key. So we reversed the policy, for general safety.

My girlfriend had a knife pulled on her about 230pm today on her way to work (it happened on the corner of Salguero & Cerviño I think it is, just outside Pizza Almacen. The girl was about 15 years old she thought.

Its actually the first time we have been directly affected by crime in our 6 months here (mind you similar things have happened to her 2 times in the last 14 months in Tucuman).

I know this is obviously a frequent occurrence, but its just mind boggling - there was plenty of people around (both sitting outside the restaurant which was across the road and around the vicinity) and it was in broad daylight. Fortunately she handed over the measly 20 pesos she had on her and was physically unhurt.

Glad she's okay trennod.

Its the worst when someone clearly younger pulls stuff, or acts threatening, given that the victim is probably the one going to jail if they fight back.

A friend of mine was victim of an armed robbery by two men a couple of weeks ago. They had already entered the apartment block and were waiting for him in the stairwell. When he reached his door, one of them held a gun to his head. Once inside they tied him up and ransacked the place over a period of two hours, he was forced to tell them where everything was. This was in Palermo.

I was in line waiting for bus 39 close to 1300 Av. Santa Fe around 2:15. When the bus came a man let me go in first with my children and then another lady. The bus was packed and we could hardly advance past the front door. The man attempted to get on the bus but then as the door closed he made it seem like he just couldn't fit and jumped off. Then the bus driver immediately asked the passengers to check our purses. The gal behind us (close to the front door) started shouting her wallet was gone. The bus driver told her not to worry she didn't have to pay the fare. She was understandably upset and said her id was gone and all her money. The bus driver said to her there were worse things that could happen and all those things are replaceable.

I don't get how the bus driver knew to have people check their belongings? Could the driver be in on it or do they just recognize certain pickpocketers? The man was decently dressed in his 40s to 50s. With the subte on strike the buses have been packed which I'm sure is great news for some.

Yes he knew that guy, same thing happens when they say over the intercom at the subte to look out for a guy in red shirt

Back