• Shooting

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other crime

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I have not personally been a victim of a crime in BsAs

Votes: 28 22.8%

• Total voters
RWS said:
Interesting. I'm neither the author of this poll nor an Argentine lawyer, but my take would be to classify the taxista's ploy as theft!
I'm in agreement with you, but the police officer that I started talking to when I got out of the car without/before paying wasn't so interested. He listened for about 5 words, heard my accent and turned about 45 degrees away from me. I then stepped over so that I was in front of him again and he turned some more. At that point, I should have walked away without paying anything.

cricri58 said:
I was lost in the dodgy Constitucion at night and two guys tried to steal my jacket. I escaped them as I ran. But I will not advise to do so. Hand over whatever you have....

Depends how fast you go

I can't remember who posted this, but somebody said crime problems in capital are worse than in provincia: think again! It's all media bias. If somebody's car gets jacked in recoleta its on the news, but if people get shot in la cava or fuerte apache it'll not be on the 9' o clock news...

I think in the conorbano sur (especially 2nd/3rd ring) and La Matanza, crime is way worse than in capital. Provincia = another world. Barrio Norte = very safe.

To be honest, I expected more crime in a city with a crack epidemic, abject poverty and a slums built metres from luxury high rises. It has about as much crime as you'd expect to find in any modern city with a dense urban population and an overall population of several million.

Never personally been a victim. Plenty of people i know have though, mostly women in the wrong place at the wrong time getting robbed. Not nice, but generally opportunistic.

I must say that I'm beginning to feel myself blessed in ways that I'd not expected. In all my many trips to Argentina over the decades, I've never been subjected to a crime; but this poll thus far indicates that more than a third of respondents have been, and most of those, to more than one crime. Sad!
I agree that the situation should be better, but I think we need to maintain some perspective on this. I've conducted similar, informal polls over the years in various cities, and usually around a dinner table.

Ask a group of New Yorkers about their personal experience with crime, and you'll likely find more than 1 in 3 who have been victims of some crime. Same in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

I've gotten similar responses in Paris and Rome (about 1 in 3 residents). Of course the gun problem is something unique to the Americas, so the threat of serious violence seems less in Europe than in Argentina or the US.

I've been here for 3 years, with several visits before I decided to move, and, like RWS, I haven't yet been the victim of a crime. I assume if I stay here long enough, my luck will run out, and I'll experience some problem.

I lived in New York for 30 years, including the 70s and 80s when street crime was a very serious problem. I never personally suffered any crime, although many of my friends were mugged or robbed at some point or another. I have been robbed or pickpocketed in Prague and Amsterdam, however.

I accepted the risk as part of the price you pay to live in a vibrant city like New York or Buenos Aires, although I must say that I don't sense the same sort of danger here that I often did in New York.

So far we have 45 respondents, 30 of which have not been victims of crime, while 15 have been the victims of a total of 31 crimes, ranging from unpleasant to dangerous.

I hope we reach at least 100 respondents, although the smaller number does give an indication of the extent of the problem.

Later I shall ask if the 31 crimes are located in a few barrios or if the problem is city-wide.

Later I shall ask if the 31 crimes are located in a few barrios or if the problem is city-wide.
Then I think you'll find the mean streets of Recoleta, Palermo and Belgrano are the crime hot spots of BA.

Moxon said:
Then I think you'll find the mean streets of Recoleta, Palermo and Belgrano are the crime hot spots of BA.
You are probably right, but IMO it's better to ask and get the true picture - there may be surprises in store.

jimdepalermo said:
I agree that the situation should be better, but I think we need to maintain some perspective on this. I've conducted similar, informal polls over the years in various cities, and usually around a dinner table ...
Absolutely, if we don't compare BsAs to other cities of a similar size, we risk getting paranoid about BsAs, based on what exists everywhere in the world.

Back