Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Shooting

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other crime

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I have not personally been a victim of a crime in BsAs

Votes: 28 22.8%

• Total voters
I didn't report it at all in your poll because it didn't happen to me.

And of course you're right, he'll never see his stuff again.

In my concern I was thinking that one of your members might read this, and happen to be in a pawn shop, and happen to see a pair of Rossignol B2 or B3 skis, or a pair of old pink ski poles, and happen to report it to the police.

He's just so upset and insurance will probably pay for a good portion of his stuff, but cannot replace his photos of the trip nor cure the sick feeling in his heart. :confused:

bronx_skibum said:
I didn't report it at all in your poll because it didn't happen to me.
I owe you one.

bronx_skibum said:
He's just so upset and insurance will probably pay for a good portion of his stuff, but cannot replace his photos of the trip nor cure the sick feeling in his heart. :confused:
The feeling will heal. It's the property that cannot be replaced by money, that really counts. Tough on him, anyway.

I became the victim of an attempted pickpocketing, fool reached into the left pocket on the back(butt cheek) of my jeans but it was empty. They asked to take a photo with me these two guys and then they asked me to put my arms on their sholders, it was either the guy to my left or the guy standing behind me. The first thing I did when I noticed this was I opened the hand of the guy behind me quickly with my nails fearing that something might have been in there but as he looked rather tired and innocent I assumed that it had been the guy to my left after all the guy behind me had not initiated the taking of the photo or had anything to do with that, so I had a pleasant exchange of words with that guy and listened to his questions if I wanted him to break my face or ass and replied yes to no avail, this wasn't like I got duped in the street by strangers I had a similar interest to those guys and well we had been chatting in a friendly good old guy manner for maybe 10 miniutes or something like that when the "stab" in the back came.

I voted on "Pickpocketing: to steal valuables from a person without their noticing the theft at the time." but seeing as I had nothing stolen from me except a little adrenalin maybe and I did notice maybe I shouldn't have voted.

Elpanada said:
... I voted on "Pickpocketing: to steal valuables from a person without their noticing the theft at the time." but seeing as I had nothing stolen from me except a little adrenalin maybe and I did notice maybe I shouldn't have voted.
Thanks for telling this - saves me the trouble to remember adding 1 for captdave who forgot to report a burglary.

Bringing this topic back for a minute...

last night -- husband played tennis in Caballito, after went to say hello to his mum, when he went to leave she insisted on coming down out onto the street to say goodbye with our 2 year old niece in her arms, he's putting his rackets into the car and hears a "quedate tranquilo" and of course when he puts his hands up and turns around there's 3 guys, each with a gun, two pointed on him, one on his mum with the baby. They pointed one gun at his head the other at his chest, emptied his pockets, took the car with the rackets, his tools, stereo, anything else that was in there, his phone, his keys to our place and his mum's place, his mum's keys (and they have all of his documents in the car that list the addresses of both hs mum's and ours, so great, now we're changing all keys here and at his mum's....

So everything gone, but obviously better that then him being shot or dead.

This is a good area of town -- one block off Directorio. They seemed to want the car more than anything, so perhaps it was just a case of them walking around until they found someone they could jump.

The worst of it is that my mother in law called me moments after it happened while my husband was on the way to the comisaria -- she told me what they had taken, they had the keys etc etc, she was all nervous, anyway i told her to call me back or get my husband to call back in a bit to make sure they're ok. Well an hour and a half passes and I frankly fell asleep on the couch for a bit while waiting to here. I suddenly wake up at 2am, so I called her, no one answers, I call back 3 times, no one answers, finally I get her on her cel phone -- she didn't hear the line phone, but meanwhile I'm thinking these guys have come back and are holding them secuestrado -- while I've fallen asleep. I can easily say that was the worst. Had she not answered the phone right then I would have been waking up my husband's best friend to get in the car and head up to make sure everything was ok.

Update -- just a few minutes ago some guy call my mother-in-law to ask "how the family is doing he understands that we've been robbed" -- guy claims he works for a compania de recuperaciones and that they've got my husband's car in Villa Soldati. It all sounds rather suspect though -- do they just have all his info because they've got his phone and the papers from the car? we'll be giving this info to the police, there's no way we'll go check out the company it's a little too suspicious after what happened last night.

I'm sorry to hear your latest experience with what the government calls "sensacion de inseguridad". Luckily nobody was hurt.
Even if you do find the car, do not open it in any way or remove it from where it is. It's been reported stolen, so you have to tell the police where it is and they will take it.

haha yeah I told my husband he could call TN, they'd love yet another story of inseguridad in the better barrios of Buenos Aires... he's on his way to the comisaria so will give this "recuperacion" guy's datos to the police. My mother in law is a dear woman, but she's also the type of elder portena women that the news networks would love to showcase as she'll just go on and on and on and say whatever crazy thing comes into her head at the time without thinking!

really it's hard to tell what's mania and what's truly happening with inseguridad here -- the news loves to pick up the stories, but how many stories a night or a weekend are really going on. Tinelli, Mirtha Legrand, etc love to crow on about insecurity, but they also live in bubbles and are probably rightly paranoid that most people they interact with are just trying to profit from them in some way or another....

So scary - I am glad your husband and m-i-l are okay:(

I've been thinking a lot about this lately - all of my friends except 1 (and me) - have been victims of a crime in the last year.

I'm starting to think it's going to happen to me sooner rather than later.

I've been taking a lot of extra precautions lately. I live in Canitas and while walking home from Tonno, I walked by a guy & he stopped, turned around and started walking behind me. He was just a little too close to me. It was suspicious enough and set off my radar that I stopped into my cafe and one of the waiters walked me home. This was at 8:00 on a week night.

The guy was waiting at the corner when I walked out of the cafe but when he saw me with the waiter, he just turned around and left.

Creepy.

Back