Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Shooting

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other crime

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I have not personally been a victim of a crime in BsAs

Votes: 28 22.8%

• Total voters
So if a taxi driver's meter is doing the double-time harch!!!! (a la "History of the World Part I), that's not technically a crime?

Or if the guy at Caminos y Sabores working at "Crema de Leche Guatan" takes your AR$15, then grabs a box for 15 caramelos for you, then pulls some out and puts some more in according to your personal request (but still not getting that right) and then hands you the box and requires AR$15 from you (even though you are positive you gave it to him already) and he refuses to check all of his pockets saying that there's nothing in some of them... is that a crime?

Or if you're held up at gunpoint but it's in a gated community about 30 to 45 minutes outside of General Paz, that doesn't count either?

...IF SO....

I have never been a victim of a crime in C.A.B.A./ Capital Federal/ Buenos Aires/ The Paris... of South America/ The Port City.

However, and this isn't heresay, I showed a couple of Aussies around town 10 days ago and my tour was the first thing that they had enjoyed since they arrived, because they had put down their bag with their passports & cash and someone came along and snagged it. And to confirm that they weren't spinning a yarn, I ran into them in the Citibank on Calle Florida and helped them as they tried to figure out how to use their temporary bank card to draw money and then change it to US dollars for their trips outside of Argentina.

But alas, I'm going to hold off on voting until I get a clarification on the experiences above.

My phone and Ipod were taken out of my jacket in a club. It was foolish, I know, but I left the jacket behind with friends who ended up making out. Came back to find them just getting up to dance and both my and my friend's jackets had been moved down several feet from where they were sitting, emptied of their contents.

tangobob said:
Does attempted robbery count?
Many, many times, they have tried to steal from the back pocket of my wifes backpack, only to find tissues....
Given that attempted crimes i.e. intentions, which come to nothing, are rarely punishable under penal law - to be precise: very difficult to prove - the answer is no in this poll. Had there been more options than ten, I would have included attempts for each category in order to get an impression of the entire problem.

Besides, stealing from a pocket or bag is not robbery but pickpocketing or pocketpicking (re. defs.). Robbery is theft under threat of, or use of, violence - read definitions and/or any penal law.

Napoleon said:
So if a taxi driver's meter is doing the double-time harch!!!! (a la "History of the World Part I), that's not technically a crime?

Read first post in this thread: "the number of options in a poll is limited to 10." this is a board software limitation, I wanted 32, but the option ain't there.

Also my later post about this being BsAs capital only; because - judged by older threads - this is where the problem is the greatest.

If the taxi-scam (which no doubt is a con, thus a crime) took place in BsAs capital, then -> option: Other crime, else not included.

If we include provincia BsAs or/and the other provinces, the percentage of crimes and victims will drop considerably, depending on number of members from outside BsAs capital.

Napoleon said:
But alas, I'm going to hold off on voting until I get a clarification on the experiences above.
Your choice.

Please remember that this poll is about your personal experience, something that happened to you.

First post: "your own personal experience and not governed by your knowledge of others having been the victims of crime in BsAs.".

Why? If 7 other persons were present when your pocket was picked, we run the risk of counting eight instead of one; if your coat was stolen at an expat dinner, then perhaps 32 for 1.

When this poll has come to a conclusion, let's start another one, addressing other crimes (from my own list + from posts) plus attempted crimes (as far as the 10-limit allows) and one for the provinces.

As I hinted in the first post: "You may find some crimes missing, if so please indicate this in a post, but be aware that the number of options in a poll is limited to 10.".

Napoleon said:
So if a taxi driver's meter is doing the double-time harch!!!! . . . .
Or if the guy at Caminos y Sabores working at "Crema de Leche Guatan" takes your AR$15, then . . . requires AR$15 from you (even though you are positive you gave it to him already) . . . .
Or if you're held up at gunpoint but it's . . . about 30 to 45 minutes outside of General Paz . . . .
Interesting. I'm neither the author of this poll nor an Argentine lawyer, but my take would be to classify the taxista's ploy as theft, the ploy of the clerk of "Guatan" as theft again, and the rather shocking hold-up as outside the parameters of this poll (for taking place outside the C.F.).

I must say that I'm beginning to feel myself blessed in ways that I'd not expected. In all my many trips to Argentina over the decades, I've never been subjected to a crime; but this poll thus far indicates that more than a third of respondents have been, and most of those, to more than one crime. Sad!

I was lost in the dodgy Constitucion at night and two guys tried to steal my jacket. I escaped them as I ran. But I will not advise to do so. Hand over whatever you have....

Back