Crime Map

mcaffa said:
Wow, thanks for posting the link to the crime map, Nikad. I just found out that someone in my building is a known coke/pot dealer! That explains why the hallway always smells like weed and why the guy downstairs has so many ''friends'' stopping by all the time.

How can anyone find fault in the motives of a group that posts a map to your nearest pot dealer??? ;)

I think this is nothing more and nothing less than a knowledge base built by people themselves, I am not even peronista so I really do not care for De Narvaez, but what is the difference between this and any online site with reviews on products, services, experiences, etc? I think as a sum of knowledge is valid. It just helps you see things under a different light. Since official stats are not published anywhere, well, if they are going to come as INDEC´s I am not sure I am even interested in reading them. This map is meant to be an internet collaboration project on a specific subject.

I think you're giving narvaez more credit than he's due, to assume he did all this "for the public good".

More academic stuff on crime by barrio for anyone interested.This is an older study, but just goes to show - proper analysis does get done. Just isn't quite as sexy, headline grabbing (helpfully narvaez is a director of clarin and something of a media mogul) and billboard friendly:
http://www.cexeci.org/IX CONFIBSIG/...les y geomarketing/Igarzabal de Nistal, A.pdf

jp said:
I think you're giving narvaez more credit than he's due, to assume he did all this "for the public good".

More academic stuff on crime by barrio for anyone interested.This is an older study, but just goes to show - proper analysis does get done. Just isn't quite as sexy, headline grabbing (helpfully narvaez is a director of clarin and something of a media mogul) and billboard friendly:
http://www.cexeci.org/IX CONFIBSIG/...les y geomarketing/Igarzabal de Nistal, A.pdf

I don´t know how long you have been here for jp, but you seem to have developed quite an Argentine style: Anything done by a politician that you do not like or agree with must necessarily be useless and deserves to be destroyed! That is one quintessential Argentine attitude. I do not care for De Narvaez really.

This honestly isn't a partisan thing Nikad, I just don't think la mapa did anything beyond help win narvaez win an election.

Maybe I'm being cynical though, and he launched the website during his election campaign with all the best intentions in the world...

jp said:
This honestly isn't a partisan thing Nikad, I just don't think la mapa did anything beyond help win narvaez win an election.

Maybe I'm being cynical though, and he launched the website during his election campaign with all the best intentions in the world...
I don´t think the time it was launched and DN winning or not the elections, have anything to do with it being useful or not (?)

There are official statistics somewhere, google it. I know that crime (the really bad kind of) is lower than in 2002-3 and getting lower,and note that murders and such cannot be underreported,those go directly to the official numbers. Muggins get underreported, obviously, but those are not the kind of crimes that one should worry about so much.

La Nacion loves to put serious crimes in bold letters, but even when they are true, they always find a way in LN to tweak them with lies and errors (a crime committed in Rivadavia Avenue is reported as happening in the Autopista del Oeste, any crime near the Moron district is reported as being IN Moron -because they don´t like the social-democrats that control the district, etc. La Nacion is a bunch of scaremonging "journalists". Everything in that newspaper is twisted to throw the government in some way or another).

Back