Cristina asks AFIP to investigate man who commented for newspaper article

trennod said:
I dont believe the president is smart, but what do you judge her intelligence and economic success on? How is she going so far? Given the economy is likely to enter a recession (if not already) is she still doing a good job? This is all with record commodity prices / commodity boom over the past few years, in a commodity driven economy.

Well, you don t understand that before them (K´s) it was enough a rumor at WS for a crisis while now there is a huge crisis in the World and we might have some recession. A President that can acchieve that in ARGENTINA something well must be doing while many other had hyperinflacion with a lot less.
Argentines worries about hiperinflacion, it means 300% and over.
Regards

Look, I'm not reading every single post on this forum but I have to say this is disgusting and none of you are asking the right questions.

Firstly, it is disgusting that the offfice of the President would use the tax department in this way. And French Juirst, it is certain not the norm in my country. It reeks of the good ol' 1940s when the country was run by Peron.

Furthermore, the side issue of whether he evaded taxes is being completely misrepresented. The President said he didn't file a tax return since 2007. She didn't say if it was him personally or his company. Or if under the tax laws he was actually required to as he may have exemptions that we know nothing about.

I did read every post, and I don't recall anyone commenting on the tremendous abuse of power. Only the amazement that a sitting president of any so-called democracy would confess (brag?) to such an abuse in a public forum.

But who will begin the impeachment proceedings?

Exactly.

I don t understand how cross examination can be abuse of power.

When my girfriend says that it is not so chilly, I double check with the mobile the temperature because I know she is from Seoul and there the winters are colder than here. Always is too cold for me.

Sorry, the President cannot double check if that guy statement was reliable with an aplication on her I Phone, she has the State source of information, among others, the AFIP.

The guy said his busisness was going down. How do you double check if this is true or not? Because it has to be double checked if you are the President and you rule a country where some newspapers publish rotten fish trying to make you the next Lugo. Remember last elections? Who was going to win according to Clarin?
So, she confirmed that it was rotten fish.

You know, De la Rua enacted the state of siege because of something Ruckauf said to him and he didn t double check it. Ruckauf ambushed him and the state of siege made him fall because he pissed off the whole country with that. Sorry if she is not so naive and so lazy. She rules.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Ruckauf

Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
She rules.

But only in Argentina. In Europe she would have had to resign a long time ago. Do you honestly think she is good for the Argentine economy? What I am concerned, Argentina currently is in a corralito, the difference with the previous one being that the previous one only lasted for a short while. They are trying to make this one last as long as possible, since self-delusion is a virtue in Argentina.

toongeorges said:
But only in Argentina. In Europe she would have had to resign a long time ago. Do you honestly think she is good for the Argentine economy? What I am concerned, Argentina currently is in a corralito, the difference with the previous one being that the previous one only lasted for a short while. They are trying to make this one last as long as possible, since self-delusion is a virtue in Argentina.

At least three of the BRICS countries currently are using exchange controls (South Africa, Russia and Brazil) Are they all self deluded?** :)

Incorrect to assume that having exchange controls = financial mismanagement

and certainly not having exchange controls doesn't correlate well with financial probity!!! Look at the state of the UK economy at the moment and where the policy of "light touch" with UK Banks has ended up!

I maintain the test for the last two Argentine presidents (at least how the majority of Argentines seem to see it) is not how do they compare with Europe it is how do they compare with the alternative that was available - and the alternative was Menem!

Toongeorges sorry but a little imprecise and rather confusing to suggest the corralito exists at the moment let alone suggest it is here to stay. I don't see any banks refusing to provide legal Argentine currency and you do have access to your bank account subject only to exchange controls which isn't:cool: unique to Argentina!

I certainly don't agree with all of the macro economic policies let alone political policies pursued under the K brand over the last 12 years or so but structural reform is clearly needed and there is little confusion here in the country that the Washington consensus as operated under Menem as good as bankrupted the country.

Squeezing out the USA $ from the Argentine economy is a sensible structural reform and a necessary but not sufficient condition for sustainable growth.

Incidentally as far as exchange controls in Uk concerned their removal by the incoming Conservative Government was based on supply-side neo-liberal orthodoxy in 1979 and linked to the subsequent "reform" (SIC!) of UK banking regulations on very liberal lines

but the benefits to the UK economy of having removed exchange controls is difficult to disentangle:

".....suggesting that the abolition of exchange control has very probably contributed to the internationalization of the UK stock market. While these effects seem clear and robust, Artis and Taylor find the immediate impacts of abolition on asset prices, interest and exchange rates and balance of payments flows difficult to isolate from the contemporaneous impacts of North Sea Oil, the second oil price shock and the `reputation' of the new government."*

The UK economic argument in favour of retention of £ sterling and not € is the ability to be able to control the national currency for monetary policy purposes including ability to use exchange rate mechanisms in a way that favours the management of the economy.

Seems to me that the economic argument for de-dolarisation in Argentina runs along similar lines. :)

*Discussion Paper No. 294, Research Fellows Michael Artis and Mark Centre for Economic Policy Research quoted from

http://www.cepr.org/pubs/bulletin/dps/dp294.htm

** and China has exchange controls too!!!

flyingkiwi said:
it is disgusting that the offfice of the President would use the tax department in this way.

It is more disgusting that tax breaks and dodges are available in a country mainly for people who have money and not for the average. And the Leader of the Country doesn't try to put a stop to that!

If that sad state of affairs doesn't exist in FlyingKIWI land then please advise as this place sounds a far optimal and equitable society than all the places I know.

I cant understand anyone leaping to the defence of an nincompoop who complains about the taxes that he doesnt pay? More humane not to set the AFIP rottweilers on him - just suggest he finds a psychologist and preferably one who operates his books legally.

Sleuth said:
The thing that people are failing to mention is that this seems to be a pattern of behavior and not an isolated incident. That is the most chilling...

Yes Chilling and Peronist ... and well written Daniel Politi!!

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/europe-asia-pacific/Daniel-Politi-on-Hola-Buenos-Aires.html

Will the real Daniel Politi stand up?

Seems he is a genuine ex-pat and more than likely contributor here>?

Umm well maybe also read by AFIP and or Peronosfera-K

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1317454-secretos-de-la-peronosfera-k

Yes ok Daniel sit down there at the back - next to Sleuth :cool:

Bajo_cero2 said:
Well, you don t understand that before them (K´s) it was enough a rumor at WS for a crisis while now there is a huge crisis in the World and we might have some recession. A President that can acchieve that in ARGENTINA something well must be doing while many other had hyperinflacion with a lot less.
Argentines worries about hiperinflacion, it means 300% and over.
Regards

What the president has achieved (ie consistent economic growth) is due to the fact it came off a low base and there has been a commodity boom driven by soja, girasol and other cereals. She takes up to 35% (impuestos de exportación) on these export sales and that doesnt include other taxes (ie your standard tax on profits). That gives her plenty to fund her spending programs (yet you say in another post she needs to print money because people dont pay their taxes, thus implying tax dollars collected by Argentina are proportionately low).

In addition, being in a commodity driven economy Argentina should not be comparing itself with Europe and USA (significantly different economies). Look at Australia for one, it has a two paced economy, albeity is largely a commodity driven and it is not entering a recession. Brazil, Chile etc...Not going in to recession.

Back