Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner to give a speech at Harvard University

I wonder if she'll answer any legitimate questions from the audience. I've yet to see her answer questions in a town hall type setting or press conference.

Perhaps University students will dare ask what people here won't or can't... but I doubt she'd allow it. :p

Be interested to know the key points from her speech, what inspiration will she provide to the students, perhaps these are some of the topics she could discuss
- how to amass wealth through corruption
- buying votes
- robbing pension funds
- fudging key economic stats
- how to maintain an inflation rate greater than 25% pa
- assuming individual freedoms
- running a proper "democracy"
- how to repatriate a foreign owned company
- changing the constitution
- "teaching" politics in schools

This doesnt seem right. Is she really so deluded and ill-informed that she thinks some of the brigest minds in N. Hemispehere are sycophantic idiots like her circle in Argentina? I'd pay a lot to see that spectacle live...hope the auduence does their research and grills her to a crisp!

I thought the following comment was interesting. Anyone know if what the guy says in there is accurate (about the closing down of offices, firing people and especially the takeover of some of Clarin's stations?)?

We are living here under a very authoritarian and almost totalitarian regime. Last week our president Mrs. Kirchner said that the one million people, who were on the streets and squares rallying against her government, were a minority related to the upper classes. This was utterly false, when most of those which marched were middle classes, even amongst them, an outstanding figure from the Jewish community Rabbi Sergio Bergman, and representatives of different ONG, plus thousands of ordinary citizens who are fed up, of the lack of rule of law, the open violation of our Constitution. There is a project originated in the official party, to change once more our Constitution and delete most of those rights and guarantees, which we had enjoyed for 165 years.

Since Mrs Kirchner is in office, several Federal offices were dismantled, first was the case of the INDEC (the National Institute of Statistics), where most of the technicians and professionals, were fired from one day to the other. Lately the UIF the Federal Office, which prevents money laundering, suffered a similar attacked by the Government, 70% of their highly qualify employees and professionals were dismissed as well. I had been with others a victim of a political vendetta inside the Central Bank. Last year, our Legal department, was reorganized by Mrs. Mercedes Marco del Pont, the Governor of the Bank, this reorganization had one goal, to stop us from warning the Board and the Governor for their numerous violations of the Central Bank Act and other laws as well. On Friday, 13th of September, when I was prepared to give a speech during an international conference, which was held in the Bank with people from the CEMLA (Centre for Monetary Studies in Latin America), I was summoned by the staff of human resources of our Bank, and they told me that I was fired, without any further explanation. They gave me just two hours at the most, to leave the Bank, I worked at the Central Bank for almost thirty years, and I witness some excesses, but never something so horrendous and humiliating like my own case. Quite obvious I will start next Monday legal proceedings against the Governor, the Board of Directors and the Central Bank, because they had violated once more our Constitution, the Administrative Proceedings Act, and even the statute, which rules the Central Bank employees and officials. The persecutions against political opponents are not only limited to these offices, but even in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, many career diplomats from full ambassadors to first secretaries of embassy, were fired, or forced to ask their early retirement.

In our Judiciary we don’t have too many hopes; most of the federal judges and courts of appeals were appointed by the late Mr. Nestor Kirchner, and by his wife Cristina Kirchner. Most of them don’t have any background and they cheated in their exams, or their ideologically or personally attached to the ruling party. There are no checks and balances in our country, and the rule of law has been smashed. Nevertheless, I will do my best with my lawyers to go through the legal proceedings and get a favourable sentence from the courts. If this is not the case, I will appeal to the Inter American Court of Human Rights, and to the international public opinion. Once and for all, we must restore true democracy in our country, what we have right now, is just a misrepresentation of what a democracy should be. The Supreme Court of Argentina in several sentences ordered the Executive Brach to re-establish in his position the General Attorney of the Province of Santa Cruz, and these decisions were ignored by the Kirchner couple. Many other sentences of our Supreme Court were ignored by the government, including the one, through which all the retire people, should be paid according with what the law established, quite obvious these new sentences were ignored as well.

It is a shame that Harvard University gives a chance to the current president of Argentina, to speak to their faculty and alumni, when she represents a regime that had and still ignores the Constitution of our country, which smashed our civil liberties and freedoms, which will follow Mr. Chavez, in destroying freedom of press and expression. On December 7, 2012, they will confiscate the assets and properties of Clarin Group, according with the government a “monopoly”, when in fact they have two thirds of the television networks in their hand, and what the want is to silence all opposition in the media.

At least, I expect some fairness in those questions to be raised after “her speech”, which here we aren’t able to ask to Mrs. Kirchner. She had always rejected press conferences and denied access to the Casa Rosada, to many outstanding journalists, just because they aren’t pro Government.

nicoenarg said:
I thought the following comment was interesting. Anyone know if what the guy says in there is accurate (about the closing down of offices, firing people and especially the takeover of some of Clarin's stations?)?

Its pretty obvious clarin don't have a monopoly over the local tv stations when you see the coverage of the recent protests.

Eclair said:
I wonder if she'll answer any legitimate questions from the audience. I've yet to see her answer questions in a town hall type setting or press conference.

Perhaps University students will dare ask what people here won't or can't... but I doubt she'd allow it. :p

My guess is that the people that will ask questions were prescreened and had to submit their questions in writing ahead of time and had to get them approved.

Otherwise if not, I would LOVE to be there and hear the questions. But I seriously doubt they will allow them to just freely ask questions or she probably wouldn't have agreed to it.

scotttswan said:
Its pretty obvious clarin don't have a monopoly over the local tv stations when you see the coverage of the recent protests.

Yeah I agree that that is obvious. Clarin does not have a monopoly, the government does. What I was asking about was this:

On December 7, 2012, they will confiscate the assets and properties of Clarin Group, according with the government a “monopoly”, when in fact they have two thirds of the television networks in their hand, and what the want is to silence all opposition in the media.

IS the government really going to confiscate assets of Clarin on December 7th?

nicoenarg said:

Well, I'm not sure why he starts out saying there were 1 million protestors in the street. Because definitely while there were a lot of people, there were NOT 1 million people so right away many people will dismiss him as someone that is an exaggerator.

That being said, I don't doubt his story. And YES there were many people fired under the CFK regime. Absolutely she fired many INDEC employees that wouldn't play the game and fall in line reporting false % inflation figures.

Also, I personally know friends that are economists that were threatened with jail time if they published reports of what the true inflation figures are.

I'm not sure about the Clarin station thing but absolutely they have fired many people. The sad thing is with the judges in CFK's back pocket, there isn't anything that can be done while she is President of Argentina.

Just look at all the people that tried to investigate how she and her husband amassed such enormous wealth in a short amount of time after he became President. These people were from humble backgrounds and their salaries were always very low. Heck, even today her annual salary is only around $75,000 US yet they mysteriously become greatly wealthy very quickly.

Anytime anyone tries to do some formal inquiry, a judge blocks the request.

Back