Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner to give a speech at Harvard University

earlyretirement said:
My guess is that the people that will ask questions were prescreened and had to submit their questions in writing ahead of time and had to get them approved.

Otherwise if not, I would LOVE to be there and hear the questions. But I seriously doubt they will allow them to just freely ask questions or she probably wouldn't have agreed to it.
about 2 years ago, (i can`t remember where) she was asked if argentina was to face problems with the electricity supply. she took half an hour (not) to answer. and she did the same with other key questions. she doesn`t need to prescreen

nicoenarg said:
I thought the following comment was interesting. Anyone know if what the guy says in there is accurate (about the closing down of offices, firing people and especially the takeover of some of Clarin's stations?)?
Some stuff is just made up in this quote, such as the constitution being in place for over 100 years. Any Argentine knows the last reform was in 1994!

Harvard also lets Cavallo, one of the world´s worse economists and responible for the 2001 fiasco teach at their school, so I would take any speaking engagements they grant with a grain of salt.

(I went to Columbia and trust me, they had everyone from nobel prize winners to dictators speak there, and about 20% of all speakers were subject to protests by some group).

Is she going to do the speech in english? Assume its with a translator?

Montauk_Project said:
Some stuff is just made up in this quote, such as the constitution being in place for over 100 years. Any Argentine knows the last reform was in 1994!

Harvard also lets Cavallo, one of the world´s worse economists and responible for the 2001 fiasco teach at their school, so I would take any speaking engagements they grant with a grain of salt.

(I went to Columbia and trust me, they had everyone from nobel prize winners to dictators speak there, and about 20% of all speakers were subject to protests by some group).

One shouldn't care who is "allowed" to speak and who isn't. Its what free speech is all about (a concept lost on most people). You let people whose speech or personality you might find disgusting or offensive say what they want to say.

This speech without any questions asked would be a waste of students' time. I would like to see students ask her questions...questions that are not designed to make her look awesome but actual questions that are directed at her policies in a critical manner (for there is no other way to get an honest indication of where she stands).

That's something I am looking forward to.

Back to whether dictators are allowed to speak or not. Well, as long as they don't use the platform to call for the death or physical harm of others or infringe on others' rights somehow, they should be not only be allowed to speak but their right to speak should be protected.

That's what I believe. Let people hear what these vermin (like CFK) are really about and let them make informed decisions. The BS that runs in most of the media here and around the world, always scrambling to self censor to make sure no one is offended, does more harm than good.

trennod said:
Is she going to do the speech in english? Assume its with a translator?

Cristina don espeka no inglis, so I assume there will be simultaneous translation. She will speak in Porteño and the people who speak english will listen with headphones to the translators in a booth set up in the back of the room.

Having been to many IOP forums I can tell you that they all involve questions at the end that are NOT pre-screened. I am trying desperately to get a ticket as I will randomly be in Boston next week. I would LOVE the chance to go to this.

LaurenW said:
Having been to many IOP forums I can tell you that they all involve questions at the end that are NOT pre-screened. I am trying desperately to get a ticket as I will randomly be in Boston next week. I would LOVE the chance to go to this.

Lauren if you do go, PLEASE bring a camcorder if you have one or can borrow one, then we can post the speech here on the forum, what do you think?

She will talk about how progressive her government is, how she and Nestor put the the elderly generals in prison, how they are helping the poor, how they have same sex marriage. She will wow them with her feminism and her "progressivism". They'll applaud her for being so PC. Few in the audience will know the Argentine reality and Cristina will leave with a feather in her Armani cap.

Back