Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner to give a speech at Harvard University

Nobody here is answering the important question: will she be handing out socks?

sergio said:
She will talk about how progressive her government is, how she and Nestor put the the elderly generals in prison, how they are helping the poor, how they have same sex marriage. She will wow them with her feminism and her "progressivism". They'll applaud her for being so PC. Few in the audience will know the Argentine reality and Cristina will leave with a feather in her Armani cap.

This is really getting interesting:
http://forum.iop.harvard.edu/conten...ina-fernández-de-kirchner-president-argentina

I'm a little puzzled as to why there are no actual Harvard students posting comments/replies in that forum.
Or did I miss something?

Just FYI Harvard also called Ellen Johnson Sirleaf (pres of Liberia) "Her Excellency" at graduation.. so it is probably not a request from Cristina herself but a standard practice of the university.

As for why the comments have been exploding by non-Harvard students...
I don't think Harvard students are generally aware/care much about the political and economic situation of Argentina (and I say generally because of course there are some H students from Argentina that are probably contributing to this IOP webpage discussion). However this event is packed and tix are scare because it is a president of a G20 country. That is pretty cool and doesn't happen often... normally the speakers aren't quite of this political fame/position.

fifs2 said:
This doesnt seem right. Is she really so deluded and ill-informed that she thinks some of the brigest minds in N. Hemispehere are sycophantic idiots like her circle in Argentina? I'd pay a lot to see that spectacle live...hope the auduence does their research and grills her to a crisp!

If they do grill her, it will be the first time anyone's ever done it, and she won't answer any direct questions, or if she does she'll lie. If her mouth is open, she's lying.

Destroying citizens wealth by not allowing them to buy dollars or any foreign currency, so inflation crushes them.
Not allowing citizens to travel outside the country without permission form AFIP, the tax authority used by CFK as part of her repression and intimidation campaign against anyone who opposes her.
How to decree unconstitutional laws; like import restrictions on medical supplies, but the list is way to long to even get started.
But her crowning achievement is actually believing she is Queen of the World, and that yes, everyone else is an idiot and of course will believe whatever she says.

Pretty much everything he says is accurate in terms of the CFK government destroying democracy and crushing anyone who opposes them. Like any totalitarian government, CFK cannot tolerate anyone disagreeing with her or saying anything against her. Anyone who disagrees with her is a liar, a criminal, or whatever lies she chooses to invent against them. As an Argentine, I am ashamed of what has happened, and that we have allowed it to happen. This man is correct, several hundred thousand people went into the streets all across the country to protest against CFK and her thug regime on Thursday Sept 13. I was at one of the protests with over 15,000 people. People were of all ages, mostly middle class working people and professional people who work and pay taxes. There were no political slogans, no signs for any political parties. But there were many signs demanding our freedom be returned to us, demanding the constitution be followed, and not changed, demanding security which we do not have, demanding the right to buy foreign currency to protect ourselves against inflation created by CFK mismanaging our economy through protectionism that rewards her cronies, demanding an end to the ultra corruption of CFK, a corruption that we have never seen, and we've seen a lot, and more.
So yes, this man is right, and many more like him who are honest and who stand up to CFK are now without work and are under direct attacks from CFK's thugs.
So my question is like some others I read here; how can Georgetown and Harvard give a forum to CFK so she can like and spread her propaganda of repression. My hope would be that the students are informed and allowed to ask any questions they want. And they should demand answers, not accept misdirection and lies. That would be my hope.

Back