Cuba Russia and China to Head the UN Human Rights Council....!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody want to take bets on what country will receive the most condemnation from this enlightened UNHRC?

No, it's not a joke, Mr. All Caps, it's reality. The Cuban activities you seem to be referring to happened many decades ago, and were very minor at best. Cuba has been desperately poor since 1991, and the most they do now is send a lot of poorly trained doctors abroad.

No No No Renzi... not Minor at all.. The Cuban subversive activities in Venezuela, Nicaragua, Chile, Bolivia (where poor Comandante Guevara was assasinated) and through out Latin America. Also Cuba's failed participation in the Angola Revolution..!!

But the Castro's paredon executions, kangaroo courts, political prisoners, torture and human rights abuses since 1959 to date. Can't be forgotten or forgiven

What can one say .....!

Well, this shows how
What can one say .....!

imagine how bad is the US nowadays that you have the historic totalitarist countries as an example of HR.

No, it's not a joke, Mr. All Caps, it's reality. The Cuban activities you seem to be referring to happened many decades ago, and were very minor at best. Cuba has been desperately poor since 1991, and the most they do now is send a lot of poorly trained doctors abroad.
Cuba has a significant tally of executions of political prisoners. It also has a sustained record of LGBT abuses. Not to mention prohibiting freedom to information and communications - pretty basic rights really. Russia.. well let's not talk about Chechnya. China.. well just don't mention the "I" word and Hong Kong in the same sentence if you don't want to risk arrest. Don't mention the "U" word and concentration camps in the same sentence either.

While Saudi definately has an appaling record, that is at least one country making reforms including major curbs on capital punishment and greater rights for women in terms of work and freedom of movement. Unlike the other countries which are definitely heading in an opposite direction.

who is this woman? some social activist?
Her child was abducted and murdered by the military dictatorship. She is one of the mothers of plaza del mayo. Makes it even more incredible but personally, I suspect she is affected by dementia or severe mental trauma and does not really understand what she is commenting on since she is so willing to overlook abductions and murders by other regimes. Hence my comment about this world having turned itself upside down. There is no logic anymore. Anything goes.

They are running the Venezuelan security apparatus.

Cuba has a significant tally of executions of political prisoners. It also has a sustained record of LGBT abuses. Not to mention prohibiting freedom to information and communications - pretty basic rights really. Russia.. well let's not talk about Chechnya. China.. well just don't mention the "I" word and Hong Kong in the same sentence if you don't want to risk arrest. Don't mention the "U" word and concentration camps in the same sentence either.

While Saudi definately has an appaling record, that is at least one country making reforms including major curbs on capital punishment and greater rights for women in terms of work and freedom of movement. Unlike the other countries which are definitely heading in an opposite direction.
Absolutely true.

The Saudis have been committing genocide in Yemen right under the nose of the UN, mainly with arms sold by the UK and US. MBS is spending a lot on PR and his "reforms" are largely for optics. Where did you hear that there have been curbs on executions? They've actually been increasing.

I never implied human rights abuses don't exist in Cuba, but the scale does not compare with China, Saudi Arabia, or Russia. Capitol punishment has not been applied since 2003, and political detentions have been decreasing (according to HRW). But If people want to keep digging up Cuban activities during the Cold War, great, I love discussing it. I have an extensive academic background on the topic. But Cuba in 2020 is just another very poor island in the Caribbean. The idea of a Cuba as a regional threat is just not accurate.

The Saudis have been committing genocide in Yemen right under the nose of the UN, mainly with arms sold by the UK and US. MBS is spending a lot on PR and his "reforms" are largely for optics. Where did you hear that there have been curbs on executions? They've actually been increasing.

I never implied human rights abuses don't exist in Cuba, but the scale does not compare with China, Saudi Arabia, or Russia. Capitol punishment has not been applied since 2003, and political detentions have been decreasing (according to HRW). But If people want to keep digging up Cuban activities during the Cold War, great, I love discussing it. I have an extensive academic background on the topic. But Cuba in 2020 is just another very poor island in the Caribbean. The idea of a Cuba as a regional threat is just not accurate.
I am not sure how to best measure scale of human rights, per capita abuses? Or sheer number?
The problem with Cuba, like many human rights abusers, is that it continues to be afraid of its people lest it topple an unpopular regime.
Globally these kinds of countries do act as regional destabilizers since they are propped up by other like-minded countries. It is widely known that Cuba does interfere in Venezuela and trains SEBIN on how to "interrogate" and "spy" on political enemies. Maybe it is a "small" act that is largely contained to the most banana of republics, but it is a "small" country and it is part of our region.

The Washington Post reported in August that Saudi is planning to end capital punishment for drug offences (e.g. 40% of all executions) The article also stated that so far in 2020 "only" 16 people have been executed - a number that is way down. Plus it was widely reported that it has outlawed death penalty on under 18s and there is a broader moratorium planned. Flogging has also been removed as a punishment for various crimes. Sounds amazing to be talking about in 2020, but given its circumstances, it is progress on its domestic front at least even if optics to draw tourists to beach resorts near Jeddah and differentiate itself from its arch-rival, Iran as well as cover-up other recent embarassments.

While I understand the need to engage human rights abusers to address the problem, letting such countries effectively drive international policy and direct the discussion is nothing short of naive. There is no shortage of "decent" countries in the world who can lead by example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back