CUIL/CUIT/DNI/VISA etc...

Hellek said:
I figured it would be best to ask my questions here instead of opening a new topic, since it is closely related:
Is rentista of use when I plan to stay for i.e. 8 months (since it demands proof of rent for 3 years)? What kind of proof do they really want? I had a hard time finding explanations about the easiest/most convenient ways of fulfilling the rentier requirements.

Concerning what I could do as rentista and what not, is the following right?
- I can open a bank account in Argentina, have a mobile phone contract (instead of prepaid), etc. since I get a DNI
- I am not allowed to work

My situation is that I am finishing my studies and want some experience abroad. I already know the city from a language course I did there. Now I am writing lots of applications for weeks already, but without any success. If I don't find anything, I will go anyway. Being in BsAs I could then be available for interviews and continue to build new contacts, hopefully resulting in an employment/internship. I have put money aside for this project since, even in Austria, internships are often underpaid or unpaid so I don't expect to be able to make a living as an intern.

To gt a visa rentista you would have to "prove" stable foreign income of about $3000 pesos that would continue uninterrupted while you are living in Argentina. You would not be allowed to work (legally) in Argentina.

If you are only going to be here for eight months it isn't necessary (or worth the trouble) to try to get a visa rentista. Just before the end of the first three months you can get a three month extension at migraciones in BA. Then, just before that extension expires you can take the ferry to Uruguay and return the same day to get a new 90 day visa. You may not be able to get another 90 day extension from migracions after that, however.

EDIT: Ignore what I posted below. After some more research, I got the impression that the procedures are actually so slow, that a good part of my 8 month stay would have passed by the time I'd actually get the DNI, rendering the stated below irrelevant.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Concerning whether it is worth to get that visa rentista or not: I would have to go through a lot of hassle one time, probably a good way to get some experience in dealing with the authorities. And then, afterwards, it would possibly make some things easier (having a DNI). I mean for me, going to Argentina is all about gaining experience, so I can live with "wasting" time with authorities. AFAIK it is 600ARS in fees, but that's okay for me.

So for me, that idea is not dead yet. What ways are there, to transfer money on a bank account into a stable income, in a way which is accepted by the authorities? Cleanest way seems to me: negotiate a product with the bank, where you buy a financial product that gives you the desired rent for at least the 3 years that the authorities might want to see. Drawbacks: cost due to liquidating after 8 months instead of 36 or enormous opportunity costs due to the tied money. (likely I would end up with horrible interest rates), problem of collecting sum 4 times higher than what's really needed (8months vs 36).
Things that might work but probably won't get accepted: what I just wrote, but i.e. just for 12 months (or even 8), proof of sufficient money in bank account to withdraw required sum every month or proof of stable income (i.e. wired from a family member) in my account's activity statement.

Anybody with experience on that?

PS: Your proposal is my backup-plan if rentista does not work out :)

steveinbsas said:
(...) You would not be allowed to work (legally) in Argentina. (...)

I believe that the statement above is not accurate.

Section 51 of the Immigrations Law (Nbr. 25.871) states that " Foreigners admitted or authorized as "permanent residents" may perform any remunerated or lucrative task or activity, self-employed or as employees, enjoying the protection of the laws governing matter. Foreigners admitted or authorized as "temporary residents" may perform them only during the period of authorized stay.

ARTICULO 51. — Los extranjeros admitidos o autorizados como "residentes permanentes" podrán desarrollar toda tarea o actividad remunerada o lucrativa, por cuenta propia o en relación de dependencia, gozando de la protección de las leyes que rigen la materia. Los extranjeros admitidos o autorizados como "residentes temporarios" podrán desarrollarlas sólo durante el período de su permanencia autorizada.

Hellek, the resident visa (if you qualify) doesn't take that long about 4 weeks. At this point the DNI who knows. BUT, I think that Steve is right on. For 8 months it's not worth it. I've also seen people "hired" as interns for short periods (6 months +/-) without having to go through and sort of paperwork. (ie. there could be companies willing to "hire" interns without going through the official channels).

I went the student visa route to get residency.

It was a simple numbers game --- spending 1000 USD towards a visa VS spending 1000 USD towards my education and getting residency (which opens the door to DNI).

I took the school option and am doing a graduate program. The KEY part is that whatever program you are going to do must be at least 12 months long otherwise you will only get "residencia precaria" the 12 month or longer programs get you "residencia temporaria" which can then be renewed and then you get permanent. The precaria is useless for non-Mercosur citizens so it is key to have the option to get temporary. Once you have the residency you can easily get the CUIL and once you have temporaria you can apply for a DNI appointment.

I have been here since August 2008, started grad program in March 2008, started residency process in March 2008 and I now have my actual DNI (it´s a miracle!) less than a year after starting the process. I did use a lawyer to speed up my DNI date via "gestión preferential" and got my DNI just 30 days after submitting my paperwork.

oxente! said:
I have been here since August 2008, started grad program in March 2008, started residency process in March 2008 and I now have my actual DNI (it´s a miracle!) less than a year after starting the process. I did use a lawyer to speed up my DNI date via "gestión preferential" and got my DNI just 30 days after submitting my paperwork.

Several questions:

1. Do you know if you can get permanent residency at the third renewal of your student visa?

2. How much did you have to pay the gestor to receive the expidted DNI?

3. Did you actually apply for the student visa before you arrived in BA?

oxente! said:
I went the student visa route to get residency.

..."residencia temporaria" which can then be renewed and then you get permanent. The precaria is useless for non-Mercosur citizens so it is key to have the option to get temporary. Once you have the residency you can easily get the CUIL and once you have temporaria you can apply for a DNI appointment.

So, if I do an 18 month program, I'll get my student visa, which is the residencia temporaria? And then when can I apply for the DNI, immediately? And could I eventually apply form permanent residency? I'm currently doing the permatourist thing, but am looking at a grad program that starts in 2011... And I would only need the CUIL if I wanted to work, right? I have my CUIT right now (God only knows how I pulled that off!), and am working with that.

oxente! said:
The precaria is useless for non-Mercosur citizens so it is key to have the option to get temporary.

The precaria isn't exactly useless. There are some benefits - you are now here legally. It can be used to leave and enter the country, while it is good. I think that's 90 days when applying for a temp or permanent visa, not sure about other uses, not sure if renewal is possible but if you are in "tramite" for the temp or permanent visa you are ok as long as you don't leave Argentina ;) The precaria is what's given once the paper work for a visa is approved, while waiting the the 30-40 days it takes to process the visa (if there are no issues like a past criminal record, then it may take around 80 days).

oxente! said:
The precaria is useless for non-Mercosur citizens so it is key to have the option to get temporary. Once you have the residency you can easily get the CUIL
ElQueso said:
The precaria isn't exactly useless.

Adding to what ElQueso said, with the residencia precaria you can also apply for a CUIT or CUIL.

cassiem13 said:
So, if I do an 18 month program, I'll get my student visa, which is the residencia temporaria? And then when can I apply for the DNI, immediately? And could I eventually apply form permanent residency? I'm currently doing the permatourist thing, but am looking at a grad program that starts in 2011... And I would only need the CUIL if I wanted to work, right? I have my CUIT right now (God only knows how I pulled that off!), and am working with that.

The student visa granted for a 12 month program is a residencia temporaria but I read in the last couple days it cannot be converted to permanent. If you try to renew your student visa with only six months to go migraciones might not grant another year, but I am not certain. Once the temporary residency is granted you are actually required by law to apply for a DNI.

Hopefully, you will be able to get a student visa even if they put a permanent end to the "permatourist thing" before you apply and you do so on an expired tourist visa. Perhaps you could enroll in a six month program before your 18th month program begins, and if you can show migraciones you are enrolled in both programs they might grant you the temporary residency before your current (tourist) visa expires. They might even tell you it's OK to stay here with an expired tourist visa if you have actually applied for the student visa(s).

Back