CUIL/CUIT/DNI/VISA etc...

My tourist visa isn't expired, nor do I plan on letting it expire while I'm here.. I don't want any scars, so to speak, on my record that would give them reason to deny me a student visa. I wouldn't start the program until 2011, so I still have another year+ to go of permatouristing (jaja). But I understand, if they do crack down on permatourists, I will have to either leave the country, or apply with an expired tourist visa... I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

In any case, student visas are only granted for 12 months? I would think they'd be granted for the duration of the program... hmm. So I'd have to renew it after a year, showing them that the program hasn't yet finished? The program is a year and a half.

steveinbsas said:
Several questions:

1. Do you know if you can get permanent residency at the third renewal of your student visa?

2. How much did you have to pay the gestor to receive the expidted DNI?

3. Did you actually apply for the student visa before you arrived in BA?

Just saw that people where asking me questions and never answered...

1. As far as I know once you get residency no one cares what kind of visa you had in the first place...it just gets your foot in the door. I have my turno on Wednesday this week to hopefully transition from temporary to permanent residency.

2. The gestor helped me out "de onda" because it was a friend of a friend but the normal price is 1000 pesos to speed up the DNI appointment.

3. No, I applied for the student visa all from Argentina. Once must collect a bunch of documents, some of which you need to get in the states or have them mailed.

cassiem13 said:
In any case, student visas are only granted for 12 months? I would think they'd be granted for the duration of the program... hmm. So I'd have to renew it after a year, showing them that the program hasn't yet finished? The program is a year and a half.

When you apply for residency there are many different routes to get it, for example you can apply for residency as an employee, or apply for residency as a foreign scientist, diplomat, etc OR apply for residency as a student. The "student visa" is just a way to facilitate your residency. One could potentially enroll, matriculate, go a few months, do the paperwork and drop out and have the residency but it seems like a lot of work to do that if you´re not really interested in studying!! I could be wrong but there is no way to "renew" your student visa -- you just have residency and have to make sure that you tke care of the transition from precaria to temporaria to permanente.

Hope that helps !

I don't know if the student visa grant u a permanent residency after 3 years.

Back