CUIL vs CUIT ?

Chaya

Registered
Hi. I have a strange to me, question. I have a CUIL number and a DNI number. The DNI number is the same as the CUIL number except the CUIL has an extra number at the beginning and end of my what is my DNI number. I haven't applied for a CUIT number and none has been issued. The question is what do I need to do to obtain a CUIT number? It says on the government database that I am an "Inmigrante". The government website says I have a CUIL number registered or updated in ANSES. But it also says that I don't have a CUIT registered in AFIP. Do I just go to AFIP and ask them to give me a CUIT? CUIT, CUIL, DNI. So many different for me things to understand here. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Christian for your reply. So I have the ability to work in Argentina with the CUIL number. What about the CUIT number. Do I just go to AFIP and ask them for this? Can I apply online for the CUIT number? What paperwork if any do I need to provide to get the CUIT number since I have a DNI and CUIL number? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

The corrections question is, do you need a QUIT?

Are planning on being self employed? And paying Monotributo.

Otherwise you will not be issued a QUIT. It isn’t a requirement to have one.

I believe you need a CUIT to be able to receive parcels from outside Argentina where import taxes need to be paid.

Thanks Tilda. No it is more for opening a bank account. I don't plan on working as a contractor or being self-employed in Argentina. I do have some rental properties that when I set things up some years ago I had a local as my representative for tax purposes. Since I have a DNI and CUIL can I represent myself? If so do I have to have a CUIT number for the bank account that will receive the rent payments. At the moment the agent is collecting the rents for me.

Cuit is better. You can continue working legally even if you loose the legal residency.

On the assumption that US terminology would be more understandable:
  • CUIL is roughly analogous to the SSN: it’s official purpose is for Social Security payments, and as such it’s issued by the SSA, notwithstanding that it is also used for taxes and lots of other things (it’s basically became a de facto national ID number) . The CUIL is just like that.
  • CUIT is like an EIN: it is officially for tax purposes, and is issued by the IRS. For monotributistas, it’s almost always the same as the CUIL of the proprietor.

On the assumption that US terminology would be more understandable:
  • CUIL is roughly analogous to the SSN: it’s official purpose is for Social Security payments, and as such it’s issued by the SSA, notwithstanding that it is also used for taxes and lots of other things (it’s basically became a de facto national ID number) . The CUIL is just like that.
  • CUIT is like an EIN: it is officially for tax purposes, and is issued by the IRS. For monotributistas, it’s almost always the same as the CUIL of the proprietor.

Extrapolating from your description, does this imply that:

1. Each natural person has only one CUIL? (Assuming they have a DNI and permanent residency, or citizenship)

2. A natural person can have no CUIT at all, or can have one or more CUITs? For example, if I have 2 side businesses, I would have 2 EINs in the USA. In Argentina, I could have 2 CUITs, in addition to my CUIL?

1. Each natural person has only one CUIL? (Assuming they have a DNI and permanent residency, or citizenship)

So I understand.

2. A natural person can have no CUIT at all, or can have one or more CUITs? For example, if I have 2 side businesses, I would have 2 EINs in the USA. In Argentina, I could have 2 CUITs, in addition to my CUIL?

No CUIT at all? Certainly.
More than one? I don’t believe so - the CUIT is usually identical to the CUIL (except as regards non-physical persons).

Back