Culture shock when visiting home

Lee said:
You can clearly been brainwashed in thinking this way. What is wrong with having any fruit you would like? There is technology to bring them in from anywhere in the world...why not use it? There are not literally 5 million types of bread but what is wrong with a little variety?

Does suffering really make your life better or have you just been conditioned to think that way by your government and therefore accept it blindly...

I don't think he's saying there's anything WRONG with having all the fruit in the world or "5 million types of bread." It just most likely wouldn't make him any happier. And I'm in the same boat. I love the simple things here. And being bombarded with 7 grain, 10 grain, whole grain, half grain, 70% calcium, crustless, Texas, whole wheat, wheat, 80% calcium, country potato, butter split, sugar free....is not something I miss or need.

Amargo said:
What's the point of most of these posts? For example, napoleon, fine you did it back home and that it is so great there, incredible that you have 5 million types of bread and that even in the middle of the winter you can find tropical fruit. I wish you the best for the rest of your life.
But why spitting into someone else soup? Argentina is a great country to live in, only probably not for you.

Amargo might be on to something here. In his book, The Geography of Bliss, Eric Weiner finds that many people are happier with less choices; less decisions to make. Too many options can be overwhelming.

But truth be told, I do miss some of the options I enjoyed in the US. Like an entire grocery aisle full of yummy cereals! Life, Golden Grahams, Raisin Nut Bran, you name it!

Lee, I could also claim you have been brainwashed. Having any fruit in the World any time is disastrous for the environment...and it is not something one really needs (as many supermarket chains want you to believe).
Variety is alright, but I am convinced one should stick -as much as possible - to what is locally produced. It is healthy, good for the local economies and environmentally good.

I do not suffer at all, I wouldn't vote for the current government either. Judging a country by the things you can buy there is not my thing.

Most of my culture shocks have already been touched on.

1) Everything is just SO big in the US. The cars, the houses, the portions. I wanted a gatorade and the smallest size they had was enormous.

2) The amount of stuff you can buy. As Napoleon mentioned, the 427 different types of bread in the supermarket. The Best Buys that have a million different electronics for sale. Every time I walk into a store, I'm overwhelmed at the amount of stuff. No wonder people get sucked into non-stop shopping. It's a problem!

3) How not paranoid people are about their posessions. Walking down the street in NY and everyone is on their iphones and using their bberries on the street, etc. Meanwhile, I'm hunched over so no one can see my phone and have my deathgrip on the phone. You know how they say you can always tell an ex-con b/c they eat hunched off and wolf their food down. Well, I figure you can tell a porteño (or adopted one) because of how we clutch our purses and hide our phones and lock our cash in a safety deposit box in the house b/c we don't trust banks.

4) Speaking of banks - the ease of getting out money. ATMs everywhere, with pretty much no limits, no lines in the bank if you want to go on - it's like a different world.

Why is it that most answers revolve around material goods, their sizes,prices, variety? I think there are a couple other things that can be valued in life?

Nikad - it's not about values, just about things that are different and noticeable.

citygirl said:
Nikad - it's not about values, just about things that are different and noticeable.

Seems to be the only one people care about :rolleyes:

I think I can cut to the chase on this discussion.

Q. Is Argentina a third world shit-hole.
A. No

Q. Does it leave some things to be desired.
A. Yes

Q. Most of what is missing are goodies available at home but not here.
A. Yes

Q. Is anything going to change in the foreseeable future?
A. No

Q. What is then the solution for expats?
A. Accept things as they are or move back home or to another country.

Philsword said:
I think I can cut to the chase on this discussion.

Q. Is Argentina a third world shit-hole.
A. No

Q. Does it leave some things to be desired.
A. Yes

Q. Most of what is missing are goodies available at home but not here.
A. Yes

Q. Is anything going to change in the foreseeable future?
A. No

Q. What is then the solution for expats?
A. Accept things as they are or move back home or to another country.

This is a very good format, and I will use it to give my take on the subject.

Q: Is Buenos Aires a third world shithole?
A: Most barrios of the city are not, but some truly are. 0f course expats don't live in or even visit these areas.

Q: Is Buenos Aires equal to any Western European capital city?
A: No, but in some ways it actually comes close. In others it falls far short.

Q. Is Most of what is missing is the greater variety of consumer goods and the level of security back home?
A. Yes, plus a respect for others in general as well as those who make the laws and those who enforce them.

Q. What then, is the solution for expats?
A. Accept things as they are, move back home or to another country, or move to another part of Argentina.

The last option worked quite well for me. I'm still in Argentina and I have little to complain about.

Since I'm still here by choice I don't complain about the things that I could have back home that aren't available here.

I could not have a life that is anywhere near the quality that I have in Argentina if I went "back" home.

I am home.

Back