Current Overstay Fee And Procedure

sab15

Registered
Hi,

Can someone please tell me the current overstay fee? Is it 400 pesos?

Also, where exactly in the airport do you have to go to do the steps like pay, etc... I don't recall how the airport is set up. If your flight is leaving from one terminal, do you perhaps have to go to another building to do all the steps, and then go back to your terminal to catch the flight? Or, is there only one big terminal for international departing flights?

Thanks a lot.

sab15

Last time I checked (last August) the fee was $300. Pretty sure the airport is not that big. There is a migraciones kiosko in the planta baja. That's where you pay the fee. Unless you want to go it safe, in which case you can go to migraciones in Retiro and pay the fee up to 3 days before leaving the country.

you can also pre-pay the day before at the migraciones office in Aeroparque. I did that last time I overstayed and didn't have to wait or anything.
In Ezeiza, most international flights leave from the same terminal (maybe unless you are flying via other South American countries).
So you go to the back, to the left behind the arrivals gate. You go to the window and they do some paperwork and give you the forms.
You go a few meters away (to the right if you are facing them) to the Banco Nacion office. You wait in line there and pay (the first and only time I paid at Ezeiza, they let me skip the line because I was paying an overstay fine but it was a fluke that the security guard even noticed me holding my form). You pay and go BACK to the migraciones window and they tear the paper (half of it they keep and half they give you as a receipt). You go through check in and then head up to the gates. Before you get to security, you have the line at immigration where everyone goes to "stamp out" and they will view your receipt and write a funny code under your stamp.

Just in case anyone who has overstayed doesn't know, it is possible to leave the country without paying the fee/fine, but you will not be able to renter the country for at least five years (you will be denied entry at EZE for sure).

Just in case anyone who has overstayed doesn't know, it is possible to leave the country without paying the fee/fine, but you will not be able to renter the country for at least five years (you will be denied entry at EZE for sure).

Hi Steve:

Were you referring to this warning by any chance?
#18.
Deportation:
  • WARNING: DO NOT try to re-enter with the overstay fine showing unpaid on the system AND without legal counsel pre planned before arrival. .. Rest assured you will be in big trouble, .. 100% guaranteed !

Is it correct to say that, this warning will kick in as the final straw after escalating the overstay several notches as outlined in Bullet #17.?
#17.
Overstaying tourist visa earns you:
  • IRREGULAR STATUS punishable by a $300 pesos fine.
  • Before exit you can pay in person at Migraciones Retiro, OR at Terminal Omnibus Retiro, OR 24/7 at Ezeiza or Aeroparque.
  • After exit without paying, it will show up on the system and you still can pay it online, but the system will have your history (you´re pushing your luck),. Avoid having history!!!
http://baexpats.org/...es/page__st__70

Hi Steve:

Were you referring to this warning by any chance?
#18.
Deportation:
  • WARNING: DO NOT try to re-enter with the overstay fine showing unpaid on the system AND without legal counsel pre planned before arrival. .. Rest assured you will be in big trouble, .. 100% guaranteed !
Is it correct to say that, this warning will kick in as the final straw after escalating the overstay several notches as outlined in Bullet #17.?
#17.
Overstaying tourist visa earns you:
  • IRREGULAR STATUS punishable by a $300 pesos fine.
  • Before exit you can pay in person at Migraciones Retiro, OR at Terminal Omnibus Retiro, OR 24/7 at Ezeiza or Aeroparque.
  • After exit without paying, it will show up on the system and you still can pay it online, but the system will have your history (you´re pushing your luck),. Avoid having history!!!
http://baexpats.org/...es/page__st__70

Yes, and I actually was thinking about one of the posts in this thread: http://baexpats.org/...ry-please-help/

From the thread:

So I left Buenos Aires on December 21st after having lived there for a year and eight months without making trips to Uruguay every 3 months.

For some reason, the airline forgot to tell me about the fee I had to pay for going over my tourist visa and when I got to customs, the officer told me I didn't have to pay the fee but I could not return to Argentina on a tourist visa.

I was going to miss my flight if I went back to check-in and payed the fee so I said ok and proceeded to board the plane.

What can I do? I have a flight back to Argentina on January 11th.

I heard that if I can show that I am returning to the states before the 3-month time limit, they'll let me back in (i.e., reserving and/or buying a flight before the 3-month limit) however, the man specifically told me I couldn't return on a tourist visa.

Any info would be helpful, thanks!

I forgot about being able to pay online prior to returning. And I think the five year ban applies to someone who has been denied entry for "abusing" the toursit visa.

You can read the decree here: http://www.migracion...cion_899_13.pdf

It is perfectly legal to leave the country without paying the fine as of August 2013. Those who don't pay it before returning (via the internet) won't be allowed to enter, however.

I'm updating this post to be clear that the multi-year ban applies to someone who has been denied entry for "violating" the conditions of the tourist visa..,as opposed to not having paid the overstay fine (which must be paid prior to returning to Argentina in order to be admitted).

Now that we are on the subject, is there a limit as to how many times you can pay the overstay fee? I've had to pay it two times and I'm afraid this might be a "three strikes and you're out" sort of situation.

Now that we are on the subject, is there a limit as to how many times you can pay the overstay fee? I've had to pay it two times and I'm afraid this might be a "three strikes and you're out" sort of situation.

I don't think there actually a "three strikes" law or even policy. As previously noted in related threads, admittance is up to the individual.agent. Apparently there is one agent at EZE who is somewhat "aggressive" and if he thinks that someone is violating the conditions of the tourist visa he is more likely to deny entry than the others .

Hi All,

I thought I read somewhere that you have to pay the fine, because if not at the airline counter they won't give you your boarding pass. But, here in this thread it says you can exit without paying. Does anyone know about that? That seems like a contradiction.

Also, where exactly in the Retiro bus terminal can you pay the fine?

Thanks

SAB15

Back