D. N. I.

Basically as a foreigner you need to apply for permission to sell the property from the tax office before you can sell. This process needs to be done in conjunction with an accountant and can take up to 50 days to complete - the AFIP will ask for various bits of documentation eg how you got the cash in the country etc, then will ask for more a week or so later (just to waste time when they could do it in one go!). It can be a nightmare for those who bought the money into the country unofficially (which a huge amount of foreigners have) as you may end up with a money laundering fine. Of course there are ways round this though like the entrance stamps. Once the AFIP have processed your request to sell, you will be issued with a document called an ITI which will have an instruction for how much the escribano should take from the sale in additional taxes (applied only to foreigners). This can be avoided though if you have a DNI and will generally save you money overall if you're selling a property over the value of say 120,000 USD (that is taking into account the cost of organizing the DNI).

steveinbsas said:
MJK: Can a "temporary resident" with a DNI sell without going through the "administrative work" you referred to?
I have not experienced anyone selling property on a temporary resident visa so I couldn't tell you although the AFIP could tell you.

Back