D. N. I.

Hi,

I am new on this forum and tried to read all I could, but I'd like to be sure I understood well...

... so, to apply for a "Residencia temporaria - Rentista" I go to migraciones with :
- my passeport and copie of it translated by an accreditated translator (all pages ??)
- birth certificate with apostille and copie of it translated by accreditated translator
- Certificado de antecedentes penales from my country with apostille and copie of it from accreditated translator
- Certificado de antecedentes argentino
- 200 pesos
- ATM papers

Is it right ? Do I forget something ? Does anybody now knows if the ATM papers are ok or if a bank account is mandatory ?
Thank you very much for your help !

Yes, all pages of your passport must be translated.

You also must have PROOF of your foreign income and those docs need the Apostille , too. Just having money in the bank isn't enough. For example, if you have income from a trust or annuity you need to have copies of those docs with the seal of Apostille and then they must also be translated here. Pension and social security income also is accepted.

I have read often that the income requirement is $1000 US per month, but the folks at migraciones have always told me $2000 pesos per year would suffice for a single person.

Thank you very much for your response.

Which document do you use and put the apostille to in the case of renting a flat ? The renting contract ? In that case, who is allowed to put the apostille ?

The times for obtaining DNI vary but 3-4 months can often be acheived if you don't have any delays with paperwork - the big delays often come from people trying to get documents from their own countries stamped etc.
A lot of people who we've helped get DNI's are for the reason of owning property - it really pays off now to have a DNI when selling property as otherwise as a foreigner you have to pay much bigger taxes and do a fair amount of administrative work before they allow you to sell (with the reasonably new property laws in Argentina). It often works out cheaper to just get a DNI though as it will save you a fair bit more than it costs to obtain, especially when looking at properties over the US$100,000 mark.

Lou in BA said:
Thank you very much for your response.

Which document do you use and put the apostille to in the case of renting a flat ? The renting contract ? In that case, who is allowed to put the apostille ?

The Apostille applies to foreign documents, not leases or contracts in Argentina. The Apostille is required for documents that you need to present to migraciones to obtain the visa and can be done by the Secretary of State where you live or a very reasonable fee. It is usually possible to do it ALL BY MAIL.

There are also private companies that provide this service for a fee ($200 two years ago for "all" docs if they are available and sent at the same time). I was in contact with www.apostille.com in New York, but I did not use their service.

The DNI is a separate "document' (more like a passport) that is issued by the registro de las personas AFTER you receive the resident visa from migraciones. When you are granted "residency" you will receive a paper that you will present when you apply for your DNI, along with a copy of your birth certificate, your passport, and a "certificado de domicilo".

Without the DNI it is problematic but not impossible to rent an apartment for more than six months. Long term leases usually require a DNI and a guarantor, and those apartments are USUALLY UNFURNISHED (often without light fixtures, curtains or fridge).

Short term apartments are considerably more expensive but are always "furnished" to some degree (depending on how much you pay).

Thank you very much for your response again. Maybe I was not clear enough...

You told me that I have to "proof my foreign income" and this document needs an apostille...

So, my question was : if this income comes from the renting of a flat in my country, which document is the right one to proof it ? Is the renting contract ok and does it need the apostille ? But then, from where ?

Hope my question is clearer...!

Lou in BA said:
Thank you very much for your response again. Maybe I was not clear enough...

You told me that I have to "proof my foreign income" and this document needs an apostille...

So, my question was : if this income comes from the renting of a flat in my country, which document is the right one to proof it ? Is the renting contract ok and does it need the apostille ? But then, from where ?

Hope my question is clearer...!

I seriously doubt that "renting a flat" in your country will qualify you for a "visa rentista" even if the "rental income" is well above the $ amount required to receive the visa rentista in Argentina. As Attorney noted in this thread, the word "rentista" doesn't mean the source of income is derived from property rentals. Migraciones is looking for income sources that cannot be interrupted.

steveinbsas said:
I seriously doubt that "renting a flat" in your country will qualify you for a "visa rentista" even if the "rental income" is well above the $ amount required to receive the visa rentista in Argentina. As Attorney noted in this thread, the word "rentista" doesn't mean the source of income is derived from property rentals. Migraciones is looking for income sources that cannot be interrupted.

I had understood that the word rentista had nothing to do with the source of income, but I thought maybe it could work...

Did anybody ever try ? Attorney ?

I met a man a week ago in migraciones who was planning to try it, but I do not know if he already had asked if it was accepted....

If it was that easy, many would have done so and let us know.

The rent from just one apartment in any major US city would probably exceed the income threshold, but you would have to prove to migaciones that the income would continue without interruption.

You might also think that if you had $12,000 deposited in a bank that would satisfy migraciones to obtain a one year visa, but it wont. Even if you have an annuity or trust that generates the necessary monthly income, you still need to provide the original docs with the seal of Apostille as well as supprting docs from CPAs, lawyers, and or bank officers. Then you need to have them translated and legalized here. There is no guarantee they will accept them, either. I've been told that CD's or money market funds that you can deplete are not considered as secure income sources for the visa, but one "attorney" implied here that it could be done if the $ amount was significantenough and the docs were presented to migraciones in an acceptable manner.

If the rental contract was notarized it probably could receive the Apostille, but you would still need to have your rental income history certified by an accountant (CPA) and/or verified by a bank. Migraciones never asked me for my foreign (US) bank statements or US tax returns, either. They are looking for rock solid sources of income.

If you owned four or five apartments and had a rental history going back several years, it should work. But even if you owned a building with a dozen aprtments, migraciones could easily argue that your income would be interrupted if the building burned down or became inhabitable (think of the midwest floods last summer).

MJK said:
A lot of people who we've helped get DNI's are for the reason of owning property - it really pays off now to have a DNI when selling property as otherwise as a foreigner you have to pay much bigger taxes and do a fair amount of administrative work before they allow you to sell (with the reasonably new property laws in Argentina).

MJK: Could you please elaborate as to what tax liabilities an individual without a DNI faces when selling? Can a "temporary resident" with a DNI sell without going through the "administrative work" you referred to?

Back