Damn! Why Are Electronic$ $O Expen$Ive?

Contributing heavily to Tierra del Fuego's high operating costs are logistical hurdles that would make corporate-efficiency experts tear their hair out. Components are shipped from Asia to Buenos Aires and then usually trucked—Argentina's rail system is in tatters, and the port in Ushuaia is often overwhelmed—the 1,900 miles to Tierra del Fuego. Trucks then carry the finished goods back north, over icy, potholed roads, to Buenos Aires. The entire process, from ordering a product to stocking it on Argentine store shelves, takes three months, says Edgardo Rodriguez, industrial manager of the Digital Fueguina plant.

http://online.wsj.co...1549940608.html

you missed the part where they are put together in china like normal,then taken apart again and shipped as it is cheaper than specially packing everything specifically for argentina.

There are a few retarded countries who do similar things to tierra del fuego.

Contributing heavily to Tierra del Fuego's high operating costs are logistical hurdles that would make corporate-efficiency experts tear their hair out. Components are shipped from Asia to Buenos Aires and then usually trucked—Argentina's rail system is in tatters, and the port in Ushuaia is often overwhelmed—the 1,900 miles to Tierra del Fuego. Trucks then carry the finished goods back north, over icy, potholed roads, to Buenos Aires. The entire process, from ordering a product to stocking it on Argentine store shelves, takes three months, says Edgardo Rodriguez, industrial manager of the Digital Fueguina plant.

http://online.wsj.co...1549940608.html

I agree that Argentine industrial production and import policies are often preposterous, but the roads from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires are smoothly paved except for most of the segment that passes through the Chilean side of the Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego. I'm not a Cristinista, but I certainly won't blame that on her.

I'm NOT OK with paying more if it's made in TdF and it's the same damn model selling for half the price elsewhere.

Electronics here are the most expensive in the region... ! However at the Blue rate of $8.60 the difference with Chile is nominal in a $2000 peso gadget....!!

Suppose if you take into consideration the cheap,gas,electricity and property taxes it helps offset the fooking rip off prices for everything else,oh and bus,train and taxi fares.Still sticks in the crow when compared to the cheap stuff in home countries also clothes come in to it and food...fookin hell better stop there...hehe

Are Argentine electronics exported at all?

And I don't know about these smooth roads... We can't even get to Capital without crossing potholes.

Are Argentine electronics exported at all?

And I don't know about these smooth roads... We can't even get to Capital without crossing potholes.

There were stories of people crossing the border with dollars as it was cheaper for some stuff with the blue rate.

not sure you would call that "exporting" :lol:

The blue rate becomes totally irrelevant when you earn in pesos and have limited access to the USD.
If you are erning in pesos then you just use your credit card outside the country and is still cheaper for you to buy outside.

And if you don't travel outside the country?
C'mon, these prices are for everyone, for people who live and work here, for people who don't have the luxury of travelling to Miami.
If you don-t travel outside then you still have the option of buying local electronic and pay in as many payment as you can, inflation will benefit you in this case :p but yes is really annoying that electronic is that expensive.

Back