Day Of Remembrance For Truth And Justice (March 24Th)

HeyHeyJose

Registered
Hi all,

Tomorrow Argentina celebrates de "Day of Remembrance for Truth and Justice" marking the 38th anniversary of the military coup of 1976, and there is quite a few things going on in the city.

At 12 there is a March from Calle 9 de Julio to Plaza de Mayo.
At 17 at the "Espacio Memoria y Derechos Humanos" (Av. Libertador 8151) there is a concert and the opening of a new part of the center.

Enjoy this holiday!

Wikipedia article about "Day of Remembrance for Truth and Justice" [Link]
Information about tomorrow's event at exESMA [Link] (Spanish)

Learn about the role of the US government in the coup and in "Operación Condor [Link]

junta_militar.jpg

tbh they should celebrate the return of democracy rather than the day it fell.....

The objective is to remember the coup and the dictatorship, to not be repeated, I guess, and not the return to democracy. Thats why its call "Remembrance of Truth and Justice" and not "Return of Democracy".
It is a holiday thought to remember the desaparecidos, and all the darkness of the dictatorship, not the joy of democracy.

The objective is to remember the coup and the dictatorship, to not be repeated, I guess, and not the return to democracy. Thats why its call "Remembrance of Truth and Justice" and not "Return of Democracy".
It is a holiday thought to remember the desaparecidos, and all the darkness of the dictatorship, not the joy of democracy.

Well the holiday isn't helping people's memory too much considering the Disappearing started under a popularly elected Peronist.

Perhaps that should be the first thing discussed when discussing memory and justice.

I went to a bikers' asado yesterday and the main subjects of conversation were the price of bikes and spare parts, followed closely by rising crime and how NOT to get your bike stolen at the barrel of a gun in your head.
I often get the impression that the dark days of 1976 and beyond, are not subjects that many either want to talk about or remember.

Well the holiday isn't helping people's memory too much considering the Disappearing started under a popularly elected Peronist.

Perhaps that should be the first thing discussed when discussing memory and justice.

Yes and no. In those years Peronism was very complex, much complicated that it is today. It was broken into two parts. The left and the right. The right was in power, with Lopez Rega, they had the militars on their side, plus, they created paramilitares, the AAA, Asociacion Anticomunista Argentina, so they started to fight guerrilla, and as Videla said, by 1975 the "war" was a total success for the right. Montoneros was defeated by 1975, they had almost no power, they were killed, they were prosecuted, it was totally dislocated. It was never a war in facts, it was 5 thousands versus the militars with tanks, planes, intelligence and the help of the US. What happened later in the dictatorship was against civilians, against students, against common citizens with left ideology.

Back