Day trips (that aren't Tigre...)

sergio said:
Compared with Argentine towns. Tandil is pleasant - way above average. I forgot to mention that along with La Plata. Tandil is far away, however and a city, not a small town. They have an expensive spa there ...
- and a good golf range.

Of course the little towns in Buenos Aires are not European villages, and could never be. They are Argentinean towns. And I think that they have character. An argentinean character. Of course many of them could do with paint and gentrification, but the charm of the spider webs between bricks in buildings of the 19th Century is hard to dismiss (like Uribelarrea, as an example). Should gauchos dress like cowboys or French peasants?

In Angkor (Cambodia) the restorer groups decided to maintain one of the temples as it was found in the 19th century. It is called the "Jungle Temple" or the "Tomb Raider" temple. It is one of the most visited, and the decision was one of the best they did, as gigantic trees are encroached over the ruins giving it a magical air that would not have otherwise. It was cleaned, but the idea is that you can feel as an explorer being on the middle of the ruined stones.

So maybe the solution is to paint and clean most of the historic buildings (as it is done in Azul, or Villa Maria -Cordoba) and let a couple shown as "old", of course doing the reparation works so they stay upright.

Finally, the charm of the Lujan Basilica is that is kitsch, is the Basilica of the People, where you see dogs and cats and people eating while they attend mass. It is alive, and doing well.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions, guys. Right now looks like La Plata and Lujan are at the top of my list... looking forward to getting out of Capital a bit before it gets too cold to enjoy it.

John.St said:
Love Tigre. A Chilean pilot friend of mine gave me an "Aviación Naval" cap with gold embroidered anchor and wings - always wear it (plus white shirt and well pressed beige trousers) when in Tigre, makes staying there interesting and easy :D

Must be fun to watch
the_love_boat-show.jpg

marksoc said:
Of course the little towns in Buenos Aires are not European villages, and could never be. They are Argentinean towns. And I think that they have character. An argentinean character. Of course many of them could do with paint and gentrification, but the charm of the spider webs between bricks in buildings of the 19th Century is hard to dismiss (like Uribelarrea, as an example). Should gauchos dress like cowboys or French peasants?

In Angkor (Cambodia) the restorer groups decided to maintain one of the temples as it was found in the 19th century. It is called the "Jungle Temple" or the "Tomb Raider" temple. It is one of the most visited, and the decision was one of the best they did, as gigantic trees are encroached over the ruins giving it a magical air that would not have otherwise. It was cleaned, but the idea is that you can feel as an explorer being on the middle of the ruined stones.

So maybe the solution is to paint and clean most of the historic buildings (as it is done in Azul, or Villa Maria -Cordoba) and let a couple shown as "old", of course doing the reparation works so they stay upright.

Finally, the charm of the Lujan Basilica is that is kitsch, is the Basilica of the People, where you see dogs and cats and people eating while they attend mass. It is alive, and doing well.

I guess I have another idea of charm. The town of San Miguel d'Allende in Mexico has tremendous charm to me -- fabulously restored (almost entirely by expats), wonderful to walk around and explore, attractive restaurants and inns. Lujan -- Can't say I find the kitsch at all appealing but, as I said, La Plata cathedral is impressive and in splendid condition. To each his own....

I dont think day trips are great from BA. There are some private estancias to relax / horse ride etc , pool. But not really a sight seeing experience. My advice is to stay cheap somewhere one night and go to the coast (not mar del) or go and find somewhere in the middle of nowhere and explore. Provinicia de Buenos Aires is really nice with nice people. Just a bit of a viaje.

It's a 3-hour drive (so a very long day, or maybe an overnight trip - I usually stay over there just on a Sat night?) but Rosario is AMAZING. I've thought about moving there more than once. It has a lot of the best of BA (a true, urban city, and all of the culture, life that entails), without the worst (cleaner, safer, more tranquilo) - with a great river-front, beach, etc...

I'd recommend LOBOS and Chascomús. Both are very argentine places. Not scruffy but nice.

You can get to Lobos by using a private company that runs vans from Congreso (On Mitre and Callao) every hour.

To Chascomús the best way is by the Ricchieri bus company. The bus departs from Diagonal Norte and Carabelas every2 hours I think. Chascomús is one of the best kyte-surfing places in Argentina. Last summer I met a British lady who fell for the city 20 years ago and is still living there.

Have fun!

Back