Dealing With Disaster

They are powder-filled. I think they would have been alright. Of course, one question is whether or not they even would have worked...
We're not in BsAs now, but we've asked our friend to verify that we have matafuegos in the condo - he's confirmed that there are consorcio-provided large ones by the elevators, and there are two in the kitchen.

Thank you for prodding me to do what I should have done long ago! I really hope that this ugly experience can transform itself into just one of those family stories for you once the raw emotions have settled some. You and your daughter have all my respect and admiration.

They are powder-filled. I think they would have been alright. Of course, one question is whether or not they even would have worked...

I am a trained fire fighter.

With a Dry powder extinguisher, remember that one must shake it upside down 2-3 times to unsettle the powder. The powder tends to form a cake over a period of time. Henceforth, this procedure of shaking it prior activating is very important.

Also, in good buildings, you usually have planned maintenance system where some someone has the responsibility of shaking the powder once every few months or at least once a year to unsettle the powder. If they are not doing it, and the powder is caked firmly, yours shaking it 2-3 times before use may not be 100% helpful.

--

When using fire extinguishers, its also very important to know the class of fire, you are dealing with. For example if you are dealing with a oil fire, its very important not to try to use water to fight it, as it will act like a fuel to the fire.

If its a electrical fire, its very important to switch off the power as the first step before proceeding further.

--

One of the easiest things one can do for small fires, is use a blanket. Regular blanket to put on top of the fire.

Everyone reading this episode regarding our dear friend, El Queso, should immediately take note of their surroundings. Take a note of the ways to escape your apartment or house, other than the most obvious route. - the front door Take a note of all the fire extinguishers in your vicinity. Go and read it as to what type of fire extinguisher it is and see the instructions as to how to use it. Most fire extinguishers have a safety clip that must be removed prior using it. If the fire extinguisher looks debilitated and you are paying a huge maintainance fees every month, talk to the building manager about getting a new one or keeping it maintained.

Also look for any fire alarm buttons - some building have those. Learn how to activate them. They usually have a glass protection and a very very small tong/hammer to break the glass. Make sure its still there.

Someone suggested to have a smoke detector fitted. Its a excellent idea. But also with smoke detectors they need to be tried out from time to time to ensure they would work in a real situation. I have never seen anyone in a residential building trying out the smoke detectors as part of a planned maintenance system. If office buildings, they do this, sometimes.

One more thing which everyone here can do is to have a look at their Kitchen extractors. All of them have wire mesh. Remove that wire mesh and underneath, you will often see oil accumulated there. In a fire situation, it may act as a source of fire. Remember to clean up that oil once every week or so as a preventive measure.

For those who want to be extra cautious, they may consider putting fluorescent arrow signs towards the direction of the main door. Put these arrow at around 1 feet above the ground/floor level. These signs are helpful in night time in pitch darkness and room full of smoke, as to see where to proceed.

Before going to sleep every night, ensure the gas is switched off. Leaking LPG is one of the most dangerous things which can happen. The LPG after leaking lies low on the ground. And when you come in the morning to light the gas or start a spark, the LPG will ignite and a blast will occur. The LPG tends to reach out to the spark cos of its properties.

Finally, be aware of the Fire triangle - the three main components of fire - Heat, Fuel and Oxygen. In a fire, if one can stop any of these three, the fire will be extinguished. So for example, in a small fire, if you use a blanket - the oxygen will be depleted. If its a oil fire, if you can stop the oil flow to the sight of fire by cutting off its route..the fire will be extinguished. etc

Does anyone know where to buy smoke alarms?
Many small hardware stores have it. It's a common thing in US, but the store owner told me it's luxury item in BsAs.
In CA, the landlord is supposed to put fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
The lesson learned from this fire: 1) install a smoke detector and 2) put a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, and 3)buy fire insurance.
1) and 2) are pretty easy to do. how about 3) ? Anyone can give an idea.
The insurance for an apartment of high rise concrete in Asia is very cheap a year, how about here ? Thanks

We have bought all of our safety equipment through a safety shop here in Villa, except the fire blanket. They didn't have that. My parents brought that item with them from IKEA in Sweden. It seems like if you have access to an IKEA at some stage have a look at their safety equipment and prepare.
We haven't had to use any of it. The smoke alarm goes of when I make pancakes but I see that as proof that it is working. We have it installed so that I can get to it without getting the ladder out.

We have smoke alarm, 5kilo fire extinguisher type A B C, fire blanket and gas alarm. We live in a house so we have to have all of it ourselves.

Now I'm gonna go and shake the fire extinguisher.

We're not in BsAs now, but we've asked our friend to verify that we have matafuegos in the condo - he's confirmed that there are consorcio-provided large ones by the elevators, and there are two in the kitchen.

Thank you for prodding me to do what I should have done long ago! I really hope that this ugly experience can transform itself into just one of those family stories for you once the raw emotions have settled some. You and your daughter have all my respect and admiration.

The thing with safety devices is that anybody assume they are safe just because they are there, but nobody actually know how to use them or care about them until they need them. If misused or not suitable to the specific emergency you are facing, they can be a deadly weapon.
I used to run emergency drills in the power plant were I worked in my past life, and even people who had been working there for decades somehow took certain things for granted.

I think the most common mistakes are 1) not checking there is a safety device for any kind of issue that could occur (i.e. running a risk analysis, trying to minimize hazards, arrange safety devices where necessary) 2) not checking/maintaining the devices regularly 3) not knowing how to use them.

For example, I remember one of the thing that sounded surprisingly to most was that safety masks (with filters) have a limited usage, depending on the filter type and grade, and the substance(s) involved - some times in the order of 20 minutes. Would you be able to keep track of time during an emergency? Of course, residential users are never going to find themselves in a situation where industrial safety masks are to be used, it was just to point out an example of small details that make a huge difference but that nobody pays attention to in the first place.

I remember I was surprised to find red empty cones at garages in Argentina... it took me a while to realize that there should have been sand in them. Now go check your building garage and see if they are full or not.

122512.jpeg

Now some additional real comments to keep in mind....

A few years ago, in the building on Ave, Santa Fe, We had a major fire on the 11th, floor thick black smoke filled the hallway and the stairways making it impossible to descend from upper floors, they tried to reach the top roof floor pool but it was locked, at night time. The key was at the lobby reception...!!

Gas and power was switched off , no elevators only emergency lights , no fire alarms or sprinklers available... Fire extinguishers are serviced, but not enough for a major fire.

Firemen with suits and masks climbed the steps to find out that the fire hose on that floor had only a trickle of water... so they had to connect and bring up to the 11th, floor a hose all the way up from the firetruck at street level, to get water pressure. 30 minutes later!!

The Apt where the fire started was trashed totally, the entire 11th, floor hallway had to be repainted and carpeted.

Questions;
Are you on a high rise, your fire hoses on each floor have water pressure??
Is access to the roof open all the time??

I am so sorry to read about this.
And at the same time I congratulate you Queso on both your good luck - in that the bad luck was as light as it was - and your management thereof.
Hope against hope that you get reimbursed by your insurance.

Back