Dealing With In-Laws When Flying Abroad

johnw100

Registered
So we`re going for a weeks holiday to Miami in a few weeks time, and like everytime we travel abroad, which is rarely, suddenly all the "la familia" come out of the woodwork and start asking for things. I`m kind of getting annoyed with it all because it happends everytime we travel and back home all my family would say "Dont bring us back anything, just have a nice time". Here they say, "Can you get me a Playstation 4", "Can you get me a new laptop",etc,etc

So question is, is it just my in-laws or does everyone have this problem? And if so how do you deal with it.

In my case they don´t ask for things, I just offer to bring anything they might want to buy just so they can get it cheaper.

We had the same problem. My wife and I talked it over and we started offering this service - for a 50% tax, cash in advance. Plane tickets are not free, extra checked bags are not free, and lugging an expresso machine around the airport is a friggin' pain in the a$$.

We now don't have this problem.

because of the import block, asking for someones who travels to bring back stuff is a sign of intelligence. Actually I'm thinking about building a network of travelers just for that purpose. Also, south america is the trashcan of the industries. Companies ship products that do not sell well elsewhere here.

Happy Birthday Nikad :)

We tell them we can't promise anything as we are buying a lot ourselves. If we have room or weight left we'll do it.

You just lay the ground rules, they 1) pay you the cash up front, 2)or order it online themselves and have it delievered to your address abroad (this no one wants to do anymore because of the tax, but it's still cheaper than here), 3) Tell them they have to source the item themselves -- ie you say this is the address of where we are staying, you find it in stock at a Best Buy / Target / what have you nearby and we will get it, 4) Tell everyone you are only going for one week and will only be taking 1 day to shop, if they haven't figured out all the money / location of item / if item is in stock etc before that date, too effing bad.

We used to be super generous too, then I got sick of my husband spending 3 days or more of a 10 day trip running around researching which camera to get his dad / brother / guy from the office. I mean they would just say, I want a camera, you figure out which one is best and get me that one, I'll pay you later. We (namely, I) got sick of the requests -- people from his work who have never talked to him before would come to his office and ask if he would buy them a pair of shoes for their wife's sister's niece's cousin etc etc. So now it is close family only (with a couple of exceptions), cash up front cold hard USD, and they have to send us an email with the link to the exact item they want showing it in stock somewhere within the vecinity of where we are staying. I'm not doing and research and I'm not driving 100miles to get anything. We have a couple of friends who we have much more flexible arrangements with or that we even call ahead to say we're goiing because they do the same for us.

EDIT: Oh and any extra baggage costs get passed on to the purchaser -- and the fact is now that most of the time I'm travelling alone with my son, no one dares ask anymore anyway.

Most of my in-laws aren't into any thing electronic really, so I'm lucky! We did have drama once where a SIL asked me for a smart phone with no specifics given. Just buy me a smart phone under 70usd unlocked. I did with my cash to be reimbursed. She ended up complaining cause it didn't have wi-fi, but needed a data plan, which I found unfair when she had given ZERO requirements and I'm no techie. Then plug in part of the phone for the charger didn't work so she didn't want to pay me back for the money, as if I were the vendor, not the mule. It caused so much trouble I have a strong set of rules that noone requests anything anymore except one very trustworthy bro in law.

They have to order it and get it to my house before I leave, nothing will ever come out of my pocket or time
If it for any reason doesn't work it's not my problem, it's the risk they take by ordering in a way that returning is nearly impossible
If I get charged tax in EZE on it (which has never happened) then they don't get the item til they reimburse that
And if it causes my suitcase to go overweight then they pay for that, which has caused them to request tiny things like cd's haha

Same old story. Immediate family no charge. Close friends , 25 % not close friends 50%. Maple syrup , only one friend get it ! And they know who they are.

But really , if anyone wants anything , a trusted Air Freight Forwarder can get stuff in without duty. You just have to be willing to pay the freight.........

Back