Dealing with noisy neighbour in an apartment block

This is how I picture every Argentine upstairs neighbor I ever had.

http://i.imgur.com/YhoX5fM.gifv

Complaints....hardly but yes I have complained about the economy, how hard it is for many to make a living here, as well as the rising crime and insecurity, yeah I make no appologies for complaining about that. I married into a hard working, lower middle class argentine family, that struggles ALOT, so I've seen what they live, as well as our own experiences which are maybe different from alot of you.

I'm not going to lie and say it's easy here. I guess if one is wealthy, single, footloose and fancy free with little to no responsibilities than it's a great adventure, and it is to come and visit or live maybe for a year or so. But I'm a married father with a wife and a 2 year old I have to take care of, my situation is very different than alot of expats here, I understand that.

So, I think having a realistic outlook on certain aspects of living here....yes.. Argentina is a great country but it has alot of negatives and challenges regarding living here that alot of people don't hear about or aren't aware of, or, frankly are just ignorant of through no fault of their own. I've experienced alot and learned alot here and if what I share about what's happened with me and my family can help someone, than it was worth it.

If one wants to pretend that everything about living here is a fantasyland or utopia and just paint an unrealistic picture about what life is like in Argentina....that does a disservice to someone who maybe is considering living here or is new here.

I just find it surprising that one that has lived here for so long wouldn't be used to alot of these types of issues here such as the noise and situations like this. etc...I mean it's something you learn to deal with pretty early on here... Whats does anyone possibly think they can actually do to amend it or change it? You can't and nobody will. Here these things are of NO concern to locals, only foreigners. I deal with it as well, EVERYONE else has dealt with it, I'm sorry but it's just a hard doss of reality of life in Argentina, I know it's not politically correct maybe or what some folks want to hear but it's true. But I've been in your shoes too, I went through the same thing, I used to complain about it the first year I lived here...it was tough at times. And, with time you learn to deal with it and you don't worry about it or let it bother you as much anymore. Legal issues involving expensas and rentals contracts, etc. These are far more serious things to concern about as opposed to the triviality of noisy argentines. As I've said EVERYONE is noisy here, it's the way the whole society is, argentines are lively noisy peoplke. It's a lively noisy culture. Maybe some here would like for things to be different, we have a tendency to think as foreigners that "everyone should and DOES think like we do, as foreigners" I see this with TOO MANY expats. So, the harsh reality is that they don't guys....come on! And believe me when I tell you, I know from experience, they think we are uptight and rediculous to worry about these things. I know because I've had argentines tell me ( notably my wife ) she tells me "ud's norteamericanos son muy mal criados" basically were "spoiled"...she's told me that several times LOL. They laugh at us when we complain about the noise....they make jokes about it., I'm sorry, living here, you just have to get used to it and deal with it, it's a big part of life down here and it won't change, you're just going to get frustrated if you try.

It's no big secret, everyone else here including myself deals with it and has dealt with it. But also know that it's futile to try and change any of this stuff because your touching on something that's intrinsically cultural amongst the society here. I understand the need to vent sometimes...it happens to me, but you just have to live with it. Living in another country or culture is not "easy" quite the contrary. Great experience but it's not all rosy.

If one can't learn to deal with these kinds of trivial annoyances that basically come with the territory early on then they are going to have a very hard time living here indeed. I don't know what anyone orf us could think that we could change or do about it

Look, If this is a forum where we are just going to sit around and pretend that everything is always great paint a rosey picture of everything and not at times be critical or talk about unplesant things or difficult things, as well as good things, than maybe I was wrong about this forum, maybe it's not a place for me afterall.

Complaints....hardly but yes I have complained about the economy, how hard it is for many to make a living here, as well as the rising crime and insecurity, yeah I make no appologies for complaining about that. I married into a hard working, lower middle class argentine family, that struggles ALOT, so I've seen what they live, as well as our own experiences which are maybe different from alot of you.

I'm not going to lie and say it's easy here. I guess if one is wealthy, single, footloose and fancy free with little to no responsibilities than it's a great adventure, and it is to come and visit or live maybe for a year or so. But I'm a married father with a wife and a 2 year old I have to take care of, my situation is very different than alot of expats here, I understand that.

So, I think having a realistic outlook on certain aspects of living here....yes.. Argentina is a great country but it has alot of negatives and challenges regarding living here that alot of people don't hear about or aren't aware of, or, frankly are just ignorant of through no fault of their own. I've experienced alot and learned alot here and if what I share about what's happened with me and my family can help someone, than it was worth it.

If one wants to pretend that everything about living here is a fantasyland or utopia and just paint an unrealistic picture about what life is like in Argentina....that does a disservice to someone who maybe is considering living here or is new here.

I just find it surprising that one that has lived here for so long wouldn't be used to alot of these types of issues here such as the noise and situations like this. etc...I mean it's something you learn to deal with pretty early on here... Whats does anyone possibly think they can actually do to amend it or change it? You can't and nobody will. Here these things are of NO concern to locals, only foreigners. I deal with it as well, EVERYONE else has dealt with it, I'm sorry but it's just a hard doss of reality of life in Argentina, I know it's not politically correct maybe or what some folks want to hear but it's true. But I've been in your shoes too, I went through the same thing, I used to complain about it the first year I lived here...it was tough at times. And, with time you learn to deal with it and you don't worry about it or let it bother you as much anymore. Legal issues involving expensas and rentals contracts, etc. These are far more serious things to concern about as opposed to the triviality of noisy argentines. As I've said EVERYONE is noisy here, it's the way the whole society is, argentines are lively noisy peoplke. It's a lively noisy culture. Maybe some here would like for things to be different, we have a tendency to think as foreigners that "everyone should and DOES think like we do, as foreigners" I see this with TOO MANY expats. So, the harsh reality is that they don't guys....come on! And believe me when I tell you, I know from experience, they think we are uptight and rediculous to worry about these things. I know because I've had argentines tell me ( notably my wife ) she tells me "ud's norteamericanos son muy mal criados" basically were "spoiled"...she's told me that several times LOL. They laugh at us when we complain about the noise....they make jokes about it., I'm sorry, living here, you just have to get used to it and deal with it, it's a big part of life down here and it won't change, you're just going to get frustrated if you try.

It's no big secret, everyone else here including myself deals with it and has dealt with it. But also know that it's futile to try and change any of this stuff because your touching on something that's intrinsically cultural amongst the society here. I understand the need to vent sometimes...it happens to me, but you just have to live with it. Living in another country or culture is not "easy" quite the contrary. Great experience but it's not all rosy.

If one can't learn to deal with these kinds of trivial annoyances that basically come with the territory early on then they are going to have a very hard time living here indeed. I don't know what anyone orf us could think that we could change or do about it

Look, If this is a forum where we are just going to sit around and pretend that everything is always great paint a rosey picture of everything and not at times be critical or talk about unplesant things or difficult things, as well as good things, than maybe I was wrong about this forum, maybe it's not a place for me afterall.
I believe you are saying that Argentines gladly live with nosey neighbors, dog poop, graffiti, etc and us foreigners shouldn't interfere with their ways. Just learn to live with these "trivial annoyances".

When my neighbors across the street were having loud parties regularly the neighbors talked to the land lord and the noise maker was gone. When I see a Portiño step in Dog sh*t they get as pissed as me when I step in it. After I painted out the tags on my block the neighbors started painting their houses and fixing the sidewalks. People are people everywhere. Sometimes they live with the "trivial annoyances" but that doesn't mean they like it. And if a "foreigner" helps cure the "trivial annoyances" they appreciate it. I think everyone wants a good life, free of "trivial annoyances" if possible.

Or your kids sand box!

At the playground on Árabe Siria, between Avenida Santa Fe and Las Heras, they've installed a cat-proof fence around the sandbox. That's barely a start, though, given all the feral felines in the adjacent Jardín Botánico. An after-hours Rottweiler patrol would help.

I'm not going to lie and say it's easy here. I guess if one is wealthy, single, footloose and fancy free with little to no responsibilities than it's a great adventure, and it is to come and visit or live maybe for a year or so.

So if one is wealthy and married, life's a drag?

If I was truly wealthy, I would be in BA full time, and for life. As it is, I must spend time in the US, and continue to work on being wealthy.

So if one is wealthy and married, life's a drag?

If I was truly wealthy, I would be in BA full time, and for life. As it is, I must spend time in the US, and continue to work on being wealthy.
Yes because one can create wealth in the US whereas in Argentina it is very damn difficult. Unless you are a blood sucking politician.

I believe you are saying that Argentines gladly live with nosey neighbors, dog poop, graffiti, etc and us foreigners shouldn't interfere with their ways. Just learn to live with these "trivial annoyances".

When my neighbors across the street were having loud parties regularly the neighbors talked to the land lord and the noise maker was gone. When I see a Portiño step in Dog sh*t they get as pissed as me when I step in it. After I painted out the tags on my block the neighbors started painting their houses and fixing the sidewalks. People are people everywhere. Sometimes they live with the "trivial annoyances" but that doesn't mean they like it. And if a "foreigner" helps cure the "trivial annoyances" they appreciate it. I think everyone wants a good life, free of "trivial annoyances" if possible.

This reminds me of a young couple in our building with a puppy that ran the show. Every time they left the apartment to walk him, he went crazy because they didn't know enough to train him. I opened my door and spoke to them regularly. Later they had two dogs in the small apartment. They never bothered to clean up the sidewalk, as if it was someone else's responsibility. I called the owner of the apartment and let her know the situation. They broke the lease and moved out within six months. Relief! They didn't respect the hours for putting garbage on the street either. It was as if they came from another planet and didn't know the city laws.

The city has laws. People aren't used to having them enforced. We can do something about these trivial annoyances.

The city has laws. People aren't used to having them enforced.

What is the law for complaining about a cab driver who insists on driving on a mutually acceptable fare rather than by the meter?

Back