Dealing with noisy neighbour in an apartment block

esllou

Registered
Right, been here a year but never had to deal with this type of thing before...and I'm sure some of you have.

I moved into a new apartment block at the weekend and last night, at 2am, the people above came back, threw on the stereo at full blast, held a conversation at lung-busting-shouting volume and the girl was stomping around their wooden floors in what I can only presume were high heels.

This all carried on till 2.30 at which time all I could hear was the tv and talking, but all far less loudly than before.

what is my best course of action here? As I see it, I have three options: get in touch with the owner of my apartment to see if there's something he could do, get in touch with the doorman/security guy (we have 24 hr security and it's a big 25-floor building) or deal directly with the people themselves.

what have others of you done when faced with this type of situation?

I would send them a little note asking to please keep it quiet ( friendly ) If that doesn´t work, well I think the doorman is your guy.

Go buy ear plugs, that's I did.

Or maybe be a little passive aggressive and make obscene amounts of noise way early in the morning.

At least your neighbor doesn't come over and leave his horse to graze in your yard...like mine does. (I only told him I didn't want the horse running freely and drinking from the swimming pool, so he just tied him up behind the boathouse.)

Try the note first, and follow up with a personal visit, if possible. Many people are surprisingly cooperative when approached in a friendly fashion. You might try a cup of "te de tilo" or a glass of wine to put you in a mellow mood before talking to them - without biting their heads off, that is.

Best of luck...!

I live in a relatively small building, and some neighbors were celebrating a birthday party, so they were ultra nice and stuck a note in the elevator for everybody to read, saying that they were going to spend it with their loved ones and friends ( just so you would imagine they were gonna be loud ) but invited everybody to have a drink by 9pm... isn´t that classy? I loved it :)

SaraSara said:
Try the note first, and follow up with a personal visit, if possible. Many people are surprisingly cooperative when approached in a friendly fashion. You might try a cup of "te de tilo" or a glass of wine to put you in a mellow mood before talking to them - without biting their heads off, that is.

Best of luck...!

Perhaps the tea would help, but wine doesn't usually produce a "mellow mood" in those who are already pissed off, does it? (It never worked that way for me! :mad:)

Perhaps you should wait and see if this is a regular thing before you go talk to them... Otherwise you are going to look super whiny complaining after one time of being a little loud a little late. After all, to Argentines 2am is not extremely late and if the excessive noise only lasted for 30 minutes it really doesn't seem THAT bad, unless it happens every night.

If it happens a lot I would talk in person, notes can seem really passive aggressive. If that doesn't work talk to the owners/management.

I have no intention of doing anything now...just waiting and seeing if it continues. There wasn't a party or dinner...it sounded very much like a couple coming back in from a night out. That's what worries me more...it seemed very "routine".

Back