Demystifying american expats rants

ghost said:
And a University that kicks UBAs butt all day long.
Are you talking about a University that is 100% free there? Cos I can shopw you some fancy paid ones here...

Personally, I find American food too greasy - for instance, vegetables are served swimming in butter. I end up tilting the plate so all the butter collects on one side, and eat the vegetables clinging to the other end - not very elegant but it works. In Italy vegetables are prepared with almost no butter and taste better, in my opinion.

I lived in Colorado for a few years and vacation in Northern California every summer but the area I know really well is Washington. There, seafood, Vietnamese and Japanese restaurants are great , but Italian ones are not. They smother everything in oregano, which kills all other flavors.

But Maryland crab cakes are to die for. Just thinking of them gets me salivating like Pavlov's dog.

Yeah Sara,

You guys definitely have better ice cream. I never used to eat ice cream by the kilo until I got to Argentina :D and I sure as heck never ate it once a week :D. But here I can't help myself. Same goes for steak.

nikad said:
Did you just say that ice cream is better in the US? Bwhahahaha I think that was a typo!

Ice cream is FAR better in the US. Nothing remotely close to Ben and Jerry's here. Haagen Daz seems gourmet compared to local ice cream, and even Baskin and Robbins is better than Freddo's ice cream.

So, that was definitely not a typo.

SaraSara said:
Ice cream is FAR better in the US. Nothing remotely close to Ben and Jerry's here. Haagen Daz seems gourmet compared to local ice cream, and even Baskin and Robbins is better than Freddo's ice cream.

So, that was definitely not a typo.

lol @ baskin robbins. No seriously.

Haggen Daz is pretty good

Ben and Jerry's is great and Argentina can't compete with the variety, but the quality of the ice cream is better here. It is fresher and you can taste that.

Persicco PWNS !!!!!

hands down.

I drove across the US by five times, eating in all kinds of places. Went clear cross country, and up and down the map from Arizona to Montana. Away from both coasts, and with the exception of Chicago, food was bland and boring.

Most of the US is not like California. Try finding a good restaurant in Des Moines, Indianapolis, St. Louis, or even Denver... In our three years in Colorado we could not find a single good one there.

Man v Food says otherwise

man-v-food.jpg

They can say what they want - I've been there. The food I came across was uniformly bad, and some was frankly inedible.

The one exception was breakfast, so I ended up eating a big American breakfast every morning and just yoghourt and fruit the rest of the day.

I used to think of Steinbeck's comment, that in all his travels with his dog Charley he had never had a bad breakfast or a good dinner.

Back