Demystifying american expats rants

Well, my dogs are now in Argentina, so I won't be traveling cross country anymore. And I have my favorite places in the East and West coasts now, so I'm content.

If you ever find yourself in Washington, there's a Vietnamese restaurant called Four Sisters that is worth a trip to the States.

In all honesty I've mostly traveled around the South West of the US. Mainly Nevada, Arizona, Texas and California. And my experiences are based on those particular states. I have also traveled to Florida and New York, but thats about it.

So there is alot that I havent seen. But I am relatively young and the US is relatively large so its understandable.

as far as food goes The USA has Michelin rated restaurants and Argentina does not.

and for salt.. I've been as asados and see them salt the meat to no end, then POUR on more salt before they even taste it.

the butter and ice cream in b.a. is amazing as is the beef.. fish and veggies. not so much.

you can get good and crappy italian food anywhere.. there are places in the USA that serve spaghetti with ketchup.

as for pizza, I would hardly consider anything outside of NYC worth talking about.. and we def have the best hamburgers in the world.

I miss junk food. That's about it. If Argentina would start importing Tostito's Hint of Lime tortilla chips and the Wal-Mart brand of lime salsa (Hey, I like it!), I'd be a really happy camper.

But to be quite honest, I'm not that picky. I enjoy the food most of the time (even the pizza), and I like the wine even more.

I don't actually why other junk food joints are not in BA. they are in Santiago, Sao Paulo and everywhere in Brasil and both McDonalds and Burger King seem to do good. Starbucks at the moment to

This thread is pointless, really. Just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, good food is in the taste buds of the diner. It is 100% subjective, not matter what the Michelin guide says.

Personally, I'd rather have french fries at the local MacDonalds than escargots at a five-star restaurant in France.

Some people would really would prefer a fiat to a beamer. Because they see intrinsic value and beauty in it that no one else does. But that doesn't mean that the beamer isn't in actuality WAY better in every measurable way possible.

Let's get away from the nationalist reactionary answers and start actually quantifying and qualifying our answers in a more meaningful way.

What worldly cuisine or restaurants does Argentina possess ? None. What food does Argentina have that no other country in the world has ? None. What have they invented or innovated in the last 50 years ? Nothing.

They have pizza, pasta and parilla. And that's it.

Ask the same question about American cuisine and we would be here all day. I mean in the time it takes me to write this post, inventive Americans will have dreamed up about 10 new dishes out of thin air and probably dedicated 5 restaurants to them. And that's not subjective. That's just reality.

For the record, this is the best burger in America. Yes its greasy, i'ts a burger. Yes if you eat one every day for the rest of your life, you will probably die an early death. But it is delicious and what's more, it was born out of pure American imagination. You will never find something like this anywhere else in the world, especially not Argentina.

hodad-burger-fries.jpg

Good burgers do exist here also, albeit much much more difficult to find. Whether its going to arrive to you as it appears on the webpage or ad is another question which I believe applies to the States as well... The execution is key, and sometimes the heart is just not in it in the Argies. Imagine my excitement when I discovered http://www.elchalaco.com/menu.html and for the first few orders I was very impressed and then, like the majority of others the quality eventually started to slip.

Ah wait what ? This place is good or not ?

And it's not owned by Argentine's. It says its a Peruvian style burger joint.

niceguypaddy said:
Good burgers do exist here also, albeit much much more difficult to find. Whether its going to arrive to you as it appears on the webpage or ad is another question which I believe applies to the States as well... The execution is key, and sometimes the heart is just not in it in the Argies. Imagine my excitement when I discovered http://www.elchalaco.com/menu.html and for the first few orders I was very impressed and then, like the majority of others the quality eventually started to slip.

Back