Demystifying american expats rants

AlexfromLA said:
BTW, our BBQ is better too.

I'm sure it is. We don't do BBQ.
My boss actually wanted to bring parrillera salt from Argentina to do his "asado". Too bad he cannot find it here.

billsfan said:
I'll give you that. American diner's food is salt, butter, spices, chilli.. and then some other minor ingredients.

Who is talking about american diners ? That is only a small part of our cuisine. And lets be honest, you don't really know American cuisine, you've never lived there or traveled within the country. So why are you pretending to actually have an opinion about it ?

AlexfromLA said:
Who is talking about american diners ? That is only a small part of our cuisine. And lets be honest, you don't really know American cuisine, you've never lived there or traveled within the country. So why are you pretending to actually have an opinion about it ?

Why are you pretending to be an ass??
Oh wait...

billsfan said:
I'm sure it is. We don't do BBQ.
My boss actually wanted to bring parrillera salt from Argentina to do his "asado". Too bad he cannot find it here.

Why would that be too bad ? It's salt sprinkled on meat. Not much more than that.

and fyi

BBQ = parilla

So yes they do it.

AlexfromLA said:
Why would that be too bad ? It's salt sprinkled on meat. Not much more than that.

and fyi

BBQ = parilla

So yes they do it.

Ohhh!!! Zapata! Zapata!!!
OK, Gotta get going, I'm really enjoying my stay here. Except for the people... and the food.. and...
Just kidding!!

Dont talk behind my back!

Lol,

you got PWNED so now the inevitable insults come out.

Face it, Argentinian food, in general sucks and can't hold a candle to worldly cuisine.

Just saying.

Frankly, I think the problem is that expats often are on a budget and don't go to the really good restaurants - not even mid-range ones, from what I've seen recommended.

IMO, comparing Argentina and US restaurants is a waste of time - both countries do some things very well, and others poorly. Argentine food is too bland but American food is too greasy. Ice cream and pork are better in the US, but fresh strawberries and beef are better in Argentina. Vietnamese food is better in Washington, but Italian food is better in Buenos Aires. And so on, and so forth.

My personal opinions are based on going to high end restaurants, mid range restaurants and a couple hole in the wall places as well. I think that is the best way to really experience a countries culture and cuisine. And no I don't live on a budget.

I actually prefer the ice cream here in Argentina, I think that is one of the star attractions, most American expats I know think the same. I'm not really sure about pork, I don't really eat it. But high end beef is definitely better here.

I've had much better Italian food in the US. There are just as many Italians there as there are here, even more i'd wager and they do Italian food just as well, even better since they innovate much more because they are part of a dynamic multinational culture.

I also hear alot about Ameircan food being greasy. Yes some of it is, if you're eating fried food or fast food. But there is so much more to American food. I mean we started the whole health food craze. Mostly in California actually so I have alot of experience with it. We have giant super market chains dedicated solely to Organic food. Actually before moving to Europe I would only eat organic health food.

At the end of the day American just has more variety and innovation. One thing I have noticed here is I rarely get excited about going out to eat when I'm here like I do in the States. It's missing variety.

But maybe that's just me.

I think in the next 5-10 years things will change. With more immigration, I think there will be more diversity and fusion. I am already seeing some improvements. Hopefully it continues.

SaraSara said:
Frankly, I think the problem is that expats often are on a budget and don't go to the really good restaurants - not even mid-range ones, from what I've seen recommended.

IMO, comparing Argentina and US restaurants is a waste of time - both countries do some things very well, and others poorly. Argentine food is too bland but American food is too greasy. Ice cream and pork are better in the US, but fresh strawberries and beef are better in Argentina. Vietnamese food is better in Washington, but Italian food is better in Buenos Aires. And so on, and so forth.
Did you just say that ice cream is better in the US? Bwhahahaha I think that was a typo!

AlexfromLA said:
I mean we started the whole health food craze. Mostly in California actually so I have alot of experience with it. We have giant super market chains dedicated solely to Organic food. Actually before moving to Europe I would only eat organic health food.
Sorry if I come out nasty, but man, you really had to f***k u** food and cooking nicely before you had to set the " healthy " trend!!! you had to ruin it all to conclude that it was wasting your whole system!! And for the record, it is not about butter, look at the French, it is not about deep fried, look at the Chinese, it is about all the mothereffing stuff you decided you would add to your food to make more $$$, and after you ruined that, then you decided to make some more $$$ selling " oooooooorganic"... whoa! It takes some nerve to do that, you are good at $$$ making, I give you that ;) I have had good food in the US, but it is not what 99% of Americans have every day, and certainly not what is mainly available.

Back