Demystifying american expats rants

HotYogaTeacher said:
Oh come ON BillsFan about the University! "Nicer buildings"? Please. University educations in the United States are too expensive, but they are top quality. Try to go into down town Manhattan and apply for a job with two identical resumes the only difference being one is educated in South America and one is educated in the United States at a good University. The US degree will get the job. The same would be said if the job you were applying at was here in Argentina, all else equal, the US degree gets the job...

Come on, I was teasing the guy!! Don't you people have some sense of humor???
But regardless of the "Nice buildings" comment...
I'm not so sure about the american degree has the edge over an argentine one IN ARGENTINA (in the US, I suppose)... I mean, it could... probably... but I really don't know that.

In the end, I'd say the most savvy employers trust their instincts and go for the person, not the degree origin. I happen to work for an american company you know?

OK, enough of the jokes... I see you guys can't take it.

I'm loving it here... Wegmans, Marshall's, summer weather, the green-hills type of landscapes, the lakes, most of the food, Delaware park, the roads, Buffalo women ;)

However, I could not care less for the continous "How is everything?", "Did you find everyhting ok?", etc..
Hate the automatic transmission... and the odor in the malls... what is that? It's too damn strong for me.

BTW, I realised that what you call "american cheese" is not even real cheese. Talk about standards... ;)

And really, I lived all my life in Argentina and everybody I know uses a bidet.
Please make sure you are talking to regular clean argentinian when doing the poll.

billsfan said:

I'm loving it here... Wegmans, Marshall's, summer weather, the green-hills type of landscapes, the lakes, most of the food, Delaware park, the roads, Buffalo women ;)

However, I could not care less for the continous "How is everything?", "Did you find everyhting ok?", etc..
Hate the automatic transmission... and the odor in the malls... what is that? It's too damn strong for me.

BTW, I realised that what you call "american cheese" is not even real cheese. Talk about standards... ;)

Wegmans! Hah! I went to college in upstate NY and always did my shopping at Wegmans. Nice supermarkets. They still have the hot pepper displays that explain how hot the peppers are in Scovilles? Since you've got tough Argentine taste buds, I recommend going straight for the 100,000+ Scoville habanero peppers. ;)

Also, I can imagine how difficult is for Argentines to adjust to our awesome American courtesy and kindness. Be careful, you may get a bit too used to it. I was just down south (Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas) and people are so damn nice down there that it's difficult to want to come back up north and deal with the relative coldness of NYC. And you're headed back to BA, right? Ugh, rough transition.

And if you think American cheese is strange, go get a block of Velveeta.

billsfan said:

And I can care less about the Argentine shopkeepers who follow you every you go and are only interested in getting you as a customer for the bonus they get for every product they sell

I was in Musimundo the other day and one sales guy was going around to people that had picked out a cd or dvd on their own and putting his sticker on their product so he could get credit for the sale.. What a goober.

billsfan said:

Delaware Park......I hope you stopped in to visit the Albright Knox. It truely is world class and world renowned. Do not come back until you have. It's worth the time.

hannstew said:
I was in Musimundo the other day and one sales guy was going around to people that had picked out a cd or dvd on their own and putting his sticker on their product so he could get credit for the sale.. What a goober.

It happens all the time

American cheese is usually not real cheese - it's vile processed stuff that comes in plastic wrappers (that being said, you can make a mean grilled cheese with it). But when I talk about cheeses, I'm talking about the stuff you buy in cheese stores - imported or the local stuff. Yummmmmmy!

And ghost, i have a pic of him in front of the albright knox but unfortunately, it was a sunday night so it was already closed.

citygirl said:
American cheese is usually not real cheese - it's vile processed stuff that comes in plastic wrappers (that being said, you can make a mean grilled cheese with it). But when I talk about cheeses, I'm talking about the stuff you buy in cheese stores - imported or the local stuff. Yummmmmmy!

And ghost, i have a pic of him in front of the albright knox but unfortunately, it was a sunday night so it was already closed.
What a pity. The Albright is the envy of cities and countries much larger than Buffalo. Get him back there.
And yes that crap called American Cheese is not cheese. It's the same plastic druel they sell at Coto. But it melts well. Kind of joke since Western NY is really dairy country.

Back