Dengue in the City of BA

gracielle

Registered
Automatic Google Translation of both articles:
29 March 2023
Dengue in the City of BA: there are collapsed wards in hospitals due to an increase in cases. There are more than 1,800 confirmed cases and the Muñiz Hospital has set up a specific ward for this disease.....What you need to know to prevent it....

29 March 2023
....Per Infobae: In several City health centers, such as the Santojanni Hospital in Liniers, one of the endemic areas of the city, testing was discontinued and diagnosis is now based only on symptoms.

Last edited:
Hopefully cold weather coming brings it to a stop
15 May 2020 by Andrea Gentle, Editor of Science, Medicine and Technology. Digital Communication career coordinator, UNaB.
The dengue mosquito continues to exist, even with the winter cold. Conicet scientists demonstrated how the insect adapted to the low temperatures of the city of Buenos Aires. Removal or turning upside down outdoor pots and pans to avoid water accumulation should continue throughout the year....

....“In the case of Aedes aegypti, the supposed inability of eggs to inhibit hatching has been used to explain the restriction of this species to tropical and subtropical regions. However, the range of this mosquito is constantly expanding towards temperate regions ”, they explain in a paper in the Journal of Insect Physiology. And that is why they set out to study the ability of the Aede from a temperate region like the City of Buenos Aires to enter "photoperiod-induced latency
." That is, in a developmental arrest in response to unfavorable conditions in temporally varying environments.

The eggs of this mosquito are capable of surviving up to a year without water and also resist low temperatures, and until now it was also believed that the eggs remained in a dormant state throughout the winter, to hatch from spring, that is, when the temperature and humidity increase. But the work of the Mosquito Group showed something different: Aedes aegypti are capable of completing their development at a temperature of just 12 degrees Celsius. The experiments by Fischer and his team showed, in real field and outside the laboratory, that the hatching of mosquito eggs and the development of the insect do not stop.

During the winter period in Buenos Aires, more than 45% of the eggs can hatch, and a large part of the larvae can develop and reach the adult stage . Already at the end of 2016, Fischer warned, from a note in Nex, a publication of the Faculty of Exact Sciences: "The high hatching of Aedes aegypti eggs throughout the winter, as well as the high survival of the larvae during the months June, July and August that we observed in our experiments, suggests that the local population of these mosquitoes would be adapting to the winter conditions of the City of Buenos Aires. This could have implications for the expansion of this species towards colder areas of the country”....

I need more geckos
My house gecko couldn’t possibly compete with the volume of mosquitos I get in my apartment. Part of me hopes he will bring some other gecko friends to feast but in light of the rise in dengue I ought to shut my windows more often. I find burning the mosquito coils (not sure the exact name of them but they’re green coils) aren’t terribly effective

I have been firing up the AC at night on dry mode just to make it cold/dry enough so the mosquitos don't stay in my bedroom or just hibernate on the walls. I noticed it working in the summer then I saw it in an article either from the city or La Nacion about how to deal with them because they don't like the cold or the blowing air.

I have been firing up the AC at night on dry mode just to make it cold/dry enough so the mosquitos don't stay in my bedroom or just hibernate on the walls. I noticed it working in the summer then I saw it in an article either from the city or La Nacion about how to deal with them because they don't like the cold or the blowing air.
I tend to have my air conditioning on almost perpetually and I can’t say it seems to bother them

....I find burning the mosquito coils (not sure the exact name of them but they’re green coils) aren’t terribly effective
....Health concerns
There’s growing concern about the adverse health impacts associated with the burning of mosquito coils and sticks indoors. The insecticide products used are generally considered safe, but it’s the particulate matter produced from a smoldering mosquito coil that poses the greatest risk. Is it correct to conclude “burning one mosquito coil in a closed room amounts to smoking roughly 100 cigarettes” as some have claimed?

The link between smoking cigarettes and poor health outcomes is clear. What about mosquito coil smoke, especially if there’s almost daily exposure, as there is in some countries?

One study estimated the particulate matter produced from burning one mosquito coil was equivalent to burning 75-137 cigarettes. This amount of exposure poses a health risk, but there is a lack of clear evidence that the long-term exposure to mosquito coil smoke increases the risk of more serious health impacts such as lung cancer. In the face of this uncertainty, the key message should be to avoid prolonged exposure, especially in enclosed spaces....

Back