Dengue in the City of BA

We might have to invest in mosquito spray. They don't bother me much for some reason, but my partner is a mosquito magnet. We were outside for 15 minutes waiting for an uber to show up, and she got 12 bites on her ankles.

4 April 2023 by Josefina Gil Moreira
Dengue: the four City of BA neighborhoods (as of last Friday, Parque Avellaneda, Monte Castro and Villa del Parque joined Mataderos) where it is already diagnosed by clinical epidemiological criterion. There is community circulation of both dengue and chikungunya throughout the City.

The CABA government announced an action plan....The measure is part of the launching of an operation designed by the City of BA to fight dengue fever, which was presented this morning at Costanera Norte by the head of the BA government, Horacio Rodríguez Larreta, together with the Minister of Health, Fernán Quirós, the Chief of Cabinet, Felipe Miguel, and the Minister of Public Space and Urban Hygiene, Clara Muzzio.....Any place that accumulates water is a potential breeding place: "Let's make sure we don't have any in our homes. And if you find one in your home or in your neighborhood, you can make a complaint by calling 147 to let us know so that we can go and disinfect it"....

15 April 2023 by Dylan Resnik
....Where does the mosquito bite and why should we be careful not to be bitten twice? Dengue: myths, lies and warnings amid peak cases and record number of deaths. "Whoever has a dirty yard, contaminates the whole block", said epidemiologist and infectologist Hugo Pizzi.
He explained that in general "it starts as a flu-like condition", but that the infected person "notices the bites", which may lead him to presume that it is dengue. Then follows "a strong headache; joint pains, which in the Caribbean are called 'bone-breakers'; and it may be accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting, fever". Can an infected person not be bitten again? In the case of dengue, re-infection is a problem. This is because the virus has four serotypes. "Everyone who has been bitten and is now infected with another serotype can convert to hemorrhagic dengue". Due to a "synergic potentiation" there is a more severe reaction to the same infection, Pizzi explained....

16 April 2023 by Luciano Defederico
The Govt finally revealed a key fact of the virus that this year makes it more lethal. The latest dengue data published by the National Ministry of Health in the weekly Epidemiological Bulletin, not only revealed the first two deaths in the City of BA, bringing the total in the country to 35, but also finally explained why this epidemic of 2023 is more aggressive, deadly and grows faster than the previous ones.

The key is that of the more than 41,000 cases of dengue so far, some 30,000 correspond to serotype 2. That means 73%. More than 7 out of 10 infections occur with a strain that is the worst of all. Of the total deaths this year, 76% actually correspond to the DENV-2 serotype. The medical literature gives an account of this characteristic of the disease: serotype 2 is the most harmful and capable of producing serious dengue images, even if it is a first infection. In addition, it contributes to greater circulation, something that is confirmed in the current epidemic compared to those of 2016 and 2020....

20 April 2023
Historic dengue outbreak: 44 deaths and increase in the number of cases. The infections already reach 54,000 according to the update of the health authorities of the provinces. Despite lower temperatures, dengue season will continue until May, experts say....According to Infobae, through local health portfolios and provincial epidemiological bulletins, the 44 deaths occurred in nine jurisdictions: Prov of BA 1, City of BA 2, Jujuy 8, Salta 10, Santa Fe 7, Santiago del Estero 4, Tucumán 9, Entre Ríos 1 and Córdoba 2....

I find a ceiling fan keeps mosquitoes away from me - but some people are more attractive to mosquitoes than other people are.
I believe you are right. As I understand it, although mosquitos will take advantage of air currents to waft them from place to place, they can't land with any precision when wind speeds and eddie currents are above around 10mph which makes a domestic or ceiling fan ideal for keeping them away.

I believe you are right. As I understand it, although mosquitos will take advantage of air currents to waft them from place to place, they can't land with any precision when wind speeds and eddie currents are above around 10mph which makes a domestic or ceiling fan ideal for keeping them away.
Will try this tonight, tired of waking up to them whizzing by my air

Automatic Google Translation of article:
26 April 2023
ANMAT approved the use of a Japanese vaccine against dengue. This is TAK-003, from the Takeda laboratory. It is quadrivalent and is intended for persons over the age of four, whether or not they have had the disease. It does not block the current outbreak. It is expected to arrive in the country in mid-spring....

I find a ceiling fan keeps mosquitoes away from me - but some people are more attractive to mosquitoes than other people are.
Using a large fan has worked flawlessly the last few nights, thanks for the tip

Back