Denied Digital Nomad Visa - My Experience

devilclam

Registered
Hey all, I haven't seen anyone write on this (correct me if I'm wrong), so I thought I'd share my experience.

As most of you probably assumed, the digital nomad visa process isn't very transparent. To this day, I can't find any information about timeframes or anyone who has successfully navigated the process.

Anyway, in November, I submitted my information and initial payment ($120 USD) to apply for the digital nomad visa. In general, the website is a UX nightmare and incredibly buggy, but after a little bit of struggle, I managed to get my application started.

Then nothing. For almost three months.

A couple of weeks back (early February), I finally heard from the consulate in Chicago asking if I was still interested in the application. Even though I've been in Buenos Aires since New Year's, I figured it was worth a shot. The woman was accommodating but said that their office was not alerted about my application and she only found it through a file audit. I moved forward with the process and paid a second fee ($80 USD) and was supposed to receive a decision within 5 business days. Two weeks later, I contacted the woman at the consulate and she informed me the application was denied because I am already in Argentina. Which, I figured to be honest.

I've read in other threads about tourist visa extensions, so I know I can likely stay until the end of June. I've also read in threads about crossing the border and returning. Regardless of my status, I have to leave to the US at the end of August for a couple weeks but would like to return and stay for an additional year or so.

Based on the experiences of other folks in this group, what do you think is the best course of action? Stay until I have to leave in August and then pay the overstay fee and hope they'll let me back in? Border cross? Or extend the tourist visa until the end of June, overstay, and hope they let me back in after I return in September?

I didn't find anything in the thread search on this topic, but please point me in the right direction if there's something in the archives!

Thanks, everyone!

I would argue that if you can avoid a digital nomad visa, i.e. use a tourist visa, you should. Letting a country know you are working there remotely could open a can of worms that may be better left closed/ambiguous

I've read in other threads about tourist visa extensions, so I know I can likely stay until the end of June. I've also read in threads about crossing the border....
Crossing the border to get a new 90 day visa is not necessary.

Neither is getting an extension if you plan to overstay

Just overstay and pay the fine when you leave

Based on the experiences of other folks in this group, what do you think is the best course of action? Stay until I have to leave in August and then pay the overstay fee and hope they'll let me back in? Border cross? Or extend the tourist visa until the end of June, overstay, and hope they let me back in after I return in September?
Based on recent posts near the end of this thread;

Just tell migraciones that you already.live in Argentina

Last edited:
The digital nomad visa is that a VISA. If you are in Argentina you need to apply for change of category.

Just overstay and pay the fine. Overstaying once is not a big deal. Just don't make it a habit. After 3 times you might be denied entry. But once is fine.

Last edited:
Based on the prescedent created by.the case of the pregnant Russian women, a history of overstaying.may no longer be an issue.

If that is the case,those individuals reentering Argentina should able to claim (delare) that they are a resident, regardless.of their status with migraciones.

Hopefully, more will soon be knowm...

Does anyone know the fees for overstay and tourist extension? My 90-day will expire in mid-march. Thank you

I would argue that if you can avoid a digital nomad visa, i.e. use a tourist visa, you should. Letting a country know you are working there remotely could open a can of worms that may be better left closed/ambiguous

That's a very good point! I'm worried I might be already 'flagged' in the system, but I guess I will just hope for the best!

Crossing the border to get a new 90 day visa is not necessary.

Neither is getting an extension if you plan to overstay

Just overstay and pay the fine when you leave

Based on recent posts near the end of this thread;

Great, thanks for your input and sharing this recent thread. It's been curious to watch that unfold.

So it sounds like the best course of action is not to renew my tourist visa, overstay by six months, pay the overstay fee when I leave, and when I return after visiting the states in September, say, 'I already live here' and hope they don't deny entry. Even my cat is here, so it's not exactly a lie!

Back